DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

I don't think it bitching not to see the value in this bowl game.

1. Program won't get a perception boast by winning and will take a bigger hit if we lose.

2. We don't recruit against Utah State.  So an appearance against them means nothing 

3.  Most fans can't afford to go

4. Getting the least amount of practice time.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

I hate to be that guy, but we win 9 f-bomb games and we're only going to the s***** New Mexico Bowl.  I'm not driving 10 hours to go to Albuquerque.

I can't even be happy about the game because Matt Wells probably won't even be there at Utah State.  It'll be even funnier if we lose Seth Littrell and we both have interim coaches.  Would be the most pointless bowl ever.

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Nope. I have student loans to pay. If you can afford $1,000 to go to the NM Bowl, have fun. 

Gas is 2.00 a gallon.... drive.  

Ill give you round trip plus 250 miles to drive all around Albuquerque. That’s 1,484 miles from Denton and back with some wiggle room.  My car can get 500 miles to a tank on hwy let’s say 400 for giggles.  That’s 3.71 tanks of gas I’ll need to get there.  My tank holds 18 gallons, at $2.20 a gallon which is currently $ .40 above what it is all over DFW is $39.60 a tank.  Call it an even 4 tanks, you’ll need $158.40 in gas.  Pack a case of water, some Red Bull, and snacks.  We will call it 60 bucks.  Hotel room, big $$.  Found a Sheraton for 120 a night after taxes.  Take a friend that’s 60 a piece per night.  Now you’re sitting at 338.40.  Food? Drinks? Ticket.  That’s all ya got left.  Point being.  If anyone wants to make this work, it’s possible.  May not get to be the lavish NO trip I get it, but if one wants to go, you can definitely make it happen.  I will be there.  

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I hate to be that guy, but we win 9 f-bomb games and we're only going to the s***** New Mexico Bowl.  I'm not driving 10 hours to go to Albuquerque.

I can't even be happy about the game because Matt Wells probably won't even be there at Utah State.  It'll be even funnier if we lose Seth Littrell and we both have interim coaches.  Would be the most pointless bowl ever.

Which bowl game should we have gotten?

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Some sort of deal was made to flip Marshall to Gasparilla from First Responders.....

I think it was either/or. We were never guaranteed Dallas. This is from CUSA bowl page.  

http://conferenceusa.com/sports/2016/7/1/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-bowl-partners-15-html.aspx

C-USA BOWL 2018 SYNOPSIS
Conference USA has secured guaranteed commitments for six bowl spots for the 2018 season, as well as maintaining two secondary agreements.  The Bahamas, Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton, Hawai’i, New Mexico, and R+L Carriers New Orleans bowls are joined by a spot in either the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla (Tampa Bay) and Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowls as the primary agreements. The Frisco Bowl in Frisco, Texas and the Walk-On’s Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., (should the ACC or SEC not be able to provide a bowl-eligible team) serve as secondary bowls.  There is no set selection order among C-USA’s bowl partners.

Again, the nicest thing about this is I'm some sort of Cry-Baby. Or some sort of unintelligent dumbass UNT fan. Funny thing about it is I've been a member on this board along before most were.

but I unlike others think long and hard before I insult the intelligence of others on this board.

Woohoo.

Edited by UNTMike81
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, meangreenJW said:

No doubt but that's not exactly a great selling point for a passionate fan base. I'm sure every team could get a good turnout for a bowl game within 30 mile sof campus

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

First Responders.  Or Frisco. Pretty sure Frisco is a AAC tie in and neither team is a AAC member. If we're going to play an arbitrary opponent, which we are, let's get one where the fans can travel to in droves. 

23 minutes ago, wardly said:

WE have come a long way in the past few years. From playing terrible football to playing in bowl games. And what do we do? Bitch about playing a team that was in top 25 this year.I thought his was the fan base that traveled in the "thousands". What a bunch of crybabies WE are.

It's a sh*** bowl that will probably be played with two interim head coaches and you know it.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

CUSA didn't have a team in either one. And it appears the bowls aren't selecting based primarily on putting teams where they will sell the most tickets. With ESPN controlling over half the bowls now, I think the selection criteria has changed. The #1 thing is matchups that are compelling for TV. Two programs that historically aren't very good that had really strong seasons playing is what I'm guessing led to the matchup. If ESPN cared that North Texas "will sell more tickets" in a DFW bowl, we'd be in one

• Upvote 1