Indiana State (12/5/18)

CMJ

7 hours ago, Harry said:

It’s fun reading fans from other teams realizing how athletic this Mean Green team is once they get pounded. We’re a looonnnggg way from Benford ball folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

It’s fun reading fans from other teams realizing how athletic this Mean Green team is once they get pounded. We’re a looonnnggg way from Benford ball folks.

Yes, I just read through this. I guess it is normal, but they think we "aren't as good" as the record indicates because "we haven't played anyone" and of course, they blame it on their team having an "off night" and has nothing to do with our offense or defense...... 🙄

I mean the stats don't lie. #6 in the nation in defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

11 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

For example, this team already has 9 wins in the first week of December. Benford’s last team only finished with 8 wins for the entire season. A whopping two seasons ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

2 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Yes, I just read through this. I guess it is normal, but they think we "aren't as good" as the record indicates because "we haven't played anyone" and of course, they blame it on their team having an "off night" and has nothing to do with our offense or defense...... 🙄

I mean the stats don't lie. #6 in the nation in defense.

If they would have taken a closer look at the games played VS those lower-level teams, they would have seen we friggin blew the doors off of them each time, with the exception of Maine.   It's not like we were just barely squeaking by.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

For example, this team already has 9 wins in the first week of December. Benford’s last team only finished with 8 wins for the entire season. A whopping two seasons ago.

It’s crazy. The improvement has happened so quickly.

Admittedly, the early schedule was soft, but we’re doing what we should do. The game against OU, even in a loss, was a good experience for the team. Presented coaching opportunities on dealing with a team that possessed superior team length and similar athleticism. Will pay dividends for us.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

This is awesome! I love seeing Coach get fired up like this!

What a great coach! He is a great motivator! Out of college he thought he wanted to be a minister. Also one his best friends at Baylor was Chip Gaines, fixer upper! Still very close! Wren hit another home run on this hire! GMG 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

It’s crazy. The improvement has happened so quickly.

Admittedly, the early schedule was soft, but we’re doing what we should do. The game against OU, even in a loss, was a good experience for the team. Presented coaching opportunities on dealing with a team that possessed superior team length and similar athleticism. Will pay dividends for us.

The crazy thing about the OU game is that we shot horribly.  It would have been tight the entire way had we just shot the ball to our normal standards.  Fun team.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The crazy thing about the OU game is that we shot horribly.  It would have been tight the entire way had we just shot the ball to our normal standards.  Fun team.

True. Don't forget too that as bad as we shot at OU, we were only down by two at the half. And we actually had the lead in the game midway in the second half.....all this on an off night of shooting. The final score does not tell the whole story of the OU game. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We definitely missed a ton of open looks from outside against OU.  That said, I do feel like their length frustrated us all game, especially our ability to finish around the rim.  As a result, I thought that we were pressing at times and it had an effect on our ability to get into rhythm from beyond the arc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

We definitely missed a ton of open looks from outside against OU.  That said, I do feel like their length frustrated us all game, especially our ability to finish around the rim.  As a result, I thought that we were pressing at times and it had an effect on our ability to get into rhythm from beyond the arc.  

this.

let's not discredit OU's performance in that loss. it seems every time we win we mock the opposing fan board's arrogance and ignorance, then after a loss turn right into the people we were just deriding. 

I think night-off I said we'd win 3 of 10 in Norman. We missed shots, sure...their defense had a lot to do with it. We also caught the only night of non-transcendent Christian James thus far. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this.

let's not discredit OU's performance in that loss. it seems every time we win we mock the opposing fan board's arrogance and ignorance, then after a loss turn right into the people we were just deriding. 

I think night-off I said we'd win 3 of 10 in Norman. We missed shots, sure...their defense had a lot to do with it. We also caught the only night of non-transcendent Christian James thus far. 

McNease was just a handful for Simmons & everyone else playing 5 for us that game.

He's not necessarily a world-beater, but he's likely one of the best bigs we'll see all year (outside of WKU's Bassey).

22 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this.

Someone also mentioned that we had played more games than anyone in the nation as of that night, and we did look tired. Not from a conditioning standpoint, but from a shooting standpoint. Our shooters looked like they had their legs back underneath them for the first time in a while last night.

Hope we look the same the next time we play on the road as we will have had an even longer layoff before playing UNM. We have a realistic shot at a 12-1 OOC start to the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

I agree 100%.

3 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

True. Don't forget too that as bad as we shot at OU, we were only down by two at the half. And we actually had the lead in the game midway in the second half.....all this on an off night of shooting. The final score does not tell the whole story of the OU game. 

We still affected ou with the defense we played even though we didn't shoot well they didn't either!

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

Is there enough interest in in-game chat to try and facilitate this elsewhere, since gmg.com doesn't seem inclined to bring it back?

I had to use this free program called Slack once.  Would something like that be a good or bad idea?

We can't even send anyone for ice cream, anymore.

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

this.

This was my reaction as well. Oklahoma pointed out the weaknesses in our game. We get intimidated at the rim and sometimes as a result of struggling there settle for 3s which can lead to empty possessions when they aren't good looks, and that's how 8-0 runs happen.

10 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I don't wanna count chickens, but I think we should definitely be in race for the league crown.  

I thought C-USA was a 2-horse race before the season started, but it certainly looks like we can compete with WKU (1 opponent: INSt, in common with different outcomes) & Marshall (virtually no defense: ranked #323, giving up over 80ppg) now.