Not gonna lie...

emmitt01

Why does anyone think going independent would work?  It would cost a lot more money, make scheduling for all sports a nightmare. 

It also would not improve anything.  The teams that won't play in Denton now will still not.  Think it is hard to schedule now, try getting games when most of the teams are in their conference schedule. 

Playing for conference championships and recognition is attractive to the players and the fans.  It will more difficult not less to get into the post year tournaments.  

What wrong with CUSA?  Blaming poor attendance on CUSA is delusional at best.  The best attended game of the year was against La Tech because NT was still in the conference race.   

Edited by GrandGreen

What is wrong with CUSA?! Are you kidding me?! I don’t know maybe the fact I could watch the Sun Belt Championship game on my damn iPhone in my student living apartment but I couldn’t find the CUSA Championship game anywhere on tv or streaming without jumping hoops?! It may be that this conference is better but the leadership in charge of it are dragging it down. 😡😡😡

• Upvote 1

There's reality and then there's the hard reality.

UCF can't even get anywhere close to the top 5, when they haven't lost a game in two years. 2-loss teams are ranked ahead of them. The Power Conferences and their media outlets cannot make it any clearer that they want nothing to do with adding anyone new to the party.

When the Big XII folds here, you'll see the G5s have about 75 teams. Some may choose different paths (desperation may make some try to go independent and BYU their football program), but that's when the clear delineation will occur. You'll see an extra round of the playoffs added to 6 or 8, which won't include our level, but they will give us the option to send our best team to a bowl game against their 11th or 12th best team. They will limit this option to the champion of probably no more than 2 G5 leagues, most likely the AAC or MWC. The lower G5s will gladly accept this in return for money games still being played so that they can get their bills paid.

The $$$, the media, and the legislatures in the states and in DC are owned by the alumni and fans of these power programs. Here's a clue--no Congressmen is going to fight for UNT or UH to get equal footing with Texas, A&M, or Tech. Never will happen, Hell, it didn't happen when the SWC fell apart and the Big XII 4 split off.

What will happen and what you will have to ask yourself as a fan to deal with is that the G5s will just be a fresher version of FCS. Will you go watch us play La Tech or Rice if we are all a better version of the old I-aa? I mean, its still your team, its still your alma mater. Or will you do what almost all of the alumni and students did in the 80s and 90s and 00s, which was just follow their favorite power team and let them be their team over their alma mater? Because that is what it will be for the Lower G5s...which most assuredly will be CUSA's place, along with the SBC and the MAC.

Our fans are not much different from most places--the homers want to believe that we will get our Gary Patterson as our HFC, that we will somehow get in a conference with the old SWC teams we care about (anyone not named Rice), and then get a place at the table for big time championship play. That's not how it works at a G5 program--because if it did, UCF, USF, UH, Memphis, Cincy, Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada would have already shown the path forward. They haven't--because there is no path. Nobody in a Power League wants to be associated with them, nor do any of their media partners want any of them to be added. It is what it is. My advice is really simple--its continue to just enjoy going to Denton to watch our team play. Its the only thing you can control. And this is yours if you will have it. Because, unlike during the RV years when he insulated himself within the friendly circle of 17 donors he hoodwinked for years. Wren Baker and anyone who follows will continue to need our support in every way imaginable.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

22 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

There's reality and then there's the hard reality.

UCF can't even get anywhere close to the top 5, when they haven't lost a game in two years. 2-loss teams are ranked ahead of them. The Power Conferences and their media outlets cannot make it any clearer that they want nothing to do with adding anyone new to the party.

When the Big XII folds here, you'll see the G5s have about 75 teams. Some may choose different paths (desperation may make some try to go independent and BYU their football program), but that's when the clear delineation will occur. You'll see an extra round of the playoffs added to 6 or 8, which won't include our level, but they will give us the option to send our best team to a bowl game against their 11th or 12th best team. They will limit this option to the champion of probably no more than 2 G5 leagues, most likely the AAC or MWC. The lower G5s will gladly accept this in return for money games still being played so that they can get their bills paid.

The $$$, the media, and the legislatures in the states and in DC are owned by the alumni and fans of these power programs. Here's a clue--no Congressmen is going to fight for UNT or UH to get equal footing with Texas, A&M, or Tech. Never will happen, Hell, it didn't happen when the SWC fell apart and the Big XII 4 split off.

What will happen and what you will have to ask yourself as a fan to deal with is that the G5s will just be a fresher version of FCS. Will you go watch us play La Tech or Rice if we are all a better version of the old I-aa? I mean, its still your team, its still your alma mater. Or will you do what almost all of the alumni and students did in the 80s and 90s and 00s, which was just follow their favorite power team and let them be their team over their alma mater? Because that is what it will be for the Lower G5s...which most assuredly will be CUSA's place, along with the SBC and the MAC.

Our fans are not much different from most places--the homers want to believe that we will get our Gary Patterson as our HFC, that we will somehow get in a conference with the old SWC teams we care about (anyone not named Rice), and then get a place at the table for big time championship play. That's not how it works at a G5 program--because if it did, UCF, USF, UH, Memphis, Cincy, Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada would have already shown the path forward. They haven't--because there is no path. Nobody in a Power League wants to be associated with them, nor do any of their media partners want any of them to be added. It is what it is. My advice is really simple--its continue to just enjoy going to Denton to watch our team play. Its the only thing you can control. And this is yours if you will have it. Because, unlike during the RV years when he insulated himself within the friendly circle of 17 donors he hoodwinked for years. Wren Baker and anyone who follows will continue to need our support in every way imaginable.

Forget legislatures.  Take them to court.  

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

If being Independent was the only way to crash the P5 Party I think we have some who would not be interested, but why? We are not worthy?

Or.....merely having no “All Conference” team for players at North Texas to make would keep some from the mega TV bucks? 

I am one who thinks independence will come back in style, when the P5s won't expand, but programs want to be considered equal without getting added into their leagues. And I think that many independent programs will schedule each other to help with this. 

But I think its all desperation--there's no way the Power Conferences are ever going to let a BYU 1984 championship happen again. Boise State and UCF have been basically told to just enjoy your success and realize this is as good as it will get for them. UH, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Fresno State are all in that same boat. Just like us at UNT, we don't have the attendance numbers, the monied support, or the backing of legislatures over the big guys in our states. 

The day of a G5 championship playoff isn't far away--you can see from the Power League media already making mention of it on their outlets. Which is ironic, because that industry is all about fairness, yet all they do is cover the leagues and programs that make them the most money. I think this is their way of "finding" a  way to celebrate this level of play without feeling completely guilty of abandoning coverage for us.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

But, I don't have the answers. I don't get paid to have the answers. 

So easy to throw out dream scenarios when you don't have the answers, don't get paid to have the answers and don't have to figure that mess out.

• Haha 1

I feel for Emmitt.    I have been a fan since '86.  But unlike a lot of members here, I have not been able to dedicate a large part of my life to my school due to family and work obligations.

But, my take is this....

We are just a few years removed from a decade of bad decisions from top-to-bottom   The infrastructure is in place for us to keep moving forward in all sports (well, except for baseball).     We are not going to be able to make a major jump to a better conference until we can sustain what we have going right now.   This includes fans showing up to the games and donors continuing to support the school more than our G5 peers.

Once we become consistent in all the things it takes to have a successful sports program, good things should come our way and North Texas should gain it's rightful place.    There should be no real difference between Texas Tech and North Texas when it comes to sports, except for the conference payouts and the notoriety that comes with it.   The same is true for K State.

Assuming Seth does leave, hopefully Wren makes a great hire that can continue the process without overhauling the offense.  This will keep many of the recruits (and Mason) happy.     And hopefully, Seth will talk to the recruits himself and let them know that North Texas is still a great place to play and the support is still here.   Seth has made a lot of friends here.   He is not going to want to burn bridges IMO if it comes to that.

My biggest concern is also the upcoming recruiting class.    So Seth, I understand if you feel the need to take the P5 position.  But, please don't leave the cupboard bare.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Don't you think that this would've already happened if it was that simple?

Yeah, I can already see the G5's all hiring some awesome council of other G5 & Ivy league attorneys & funding the heck out of them, putting a heckuva case together... then walking into a courtroom with a judge who is an alumnus of THE Ohio State University or some-such school.     😂

• Haha 1