Not gonna lie...

emmitt01

13 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I am a pretty depressed North Texas fan right now.  

I came to North Texas in 1997 as a lifetime Dentonite who had never really give North Texas much thought (aside from running up and down the stairs of the Pit as a kid because my aunt had season tickets and brought me along).  Once I stepped on campus, that all changed though.  I joined Talons and became immersed in all things Mean Green (didn’t hurt there were several attractive female members).   I eventually became the organization’s President.  I was at every home football and basketball game, even when I was 1 of 500 in attendance.  I was in Lubbock for the Tech wins, in Fouts for the Baylor dismantling and the Nevada monsoon, in New Mexico for the “miracle in the desert”, in Lafayette and in Hot Springs to watch us punch tickets to the NCAA tournament.  I raised the money to buy 1,000 North Texas t-shirts so we could begin the program where we would exchange them for other schools’ shirts (no, that was not RV’s idea).  I also began the movement to wear green on Fridays (no, that wasn’t the administration’s idea, though I am glad they took it to the next level).  I have lived and breathed North Texas for my entire adult life...often in the face of much negative feedback by the bandwagon fans of “bigger” schools.  

So when I watched us curb stomp SMU this year, then crush Arkansas, then break ground on an indoor practice facility, and reach the end of a second consecutive 9 win season (while having the conference’s #1 recruiting class) I began to feel like FINALLY the sun was beginning to shine on us.  FINALLY the constant badgering of friends to come to games...FINALLY the prodding of my children to wear green to school every day (though that does violate the dress code)...FINALLY the years of time, energy, money and effort we’re being rewarded with a program that people have to take notice of.  

Then I read on this board that our head coach (and possibly the best parts of his staff) is going to take a 2nd rate job in the Big XII, our 9 win season might be rewarded with a trip to New Mexico to play Nevada, and the recruiting class may fall apart just in time for early signing day.  

I will be there next football season no matter what, I’ll be in the Super Pit no matter what...but I just gotta ask “when do the nut kicks stop?”

The results of this season may be uncommon ground (9 wins), but it's still only 9 wins when thinking of bowl destination and opponent. It may seem special for many UNT fans, but on the outside it's deemed a respectable season at best. In the current FBS format, we have no end all. We could legitimately be 11-1 with our lone loss to UAB and our postseason scenarios wouldn't shift very much, if at all. It's shitty to think like that, but that's our current reality. 

As for SL possibly leaving, the Jimmy Sexton move all but solidified that. He put his name in the Tennessee hat last year, and no one batted an eye at that. But UNT folks had Gary Pattetson type dreams. The guy is obviously trying to jump on whatever fast track he can, Sexton + Tennessee states that. Also, too lazy to look it up but his 3 years here may be his longest tenure of being anywhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He would also be the first coach hired away to be a head coach somewhere else since... Fry in 1978.

Actually, since Jerry Moore was hired away by Tech in 1980.  But, a long time ago.

Keep keep your head up little buckaroo.  I’ve been to many of those same milestone games you have, plus some (I still remember watching us play Dickerson/James at Texas Stadium). This past season was, without a doubt, one of the best.  That can’t be taken away. If SL leaves, I don’t expect a return to 1-10. This program is back on the map and the parties responsible for hiring SL are still in place. I trust they can find an excellent replacement, should it come to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

It’s more about the crap bowls, the fake playoff than it is about losing Littrell.  For me, anyway.  When he came here he had never stayed at a single place longer than 2 years.  He is a ladder climber and he’s damn good at it.  McCasland is one of those guys, too.  My advice is to not get emotionally tied to a single coach.  Be happy that we’re finally hiring decent ones who can actually take advantage of all of the built in natural advantages we have at UNT.  Maybe over time, if we keep winning, we’ll finally elevate ourselves out of the bottom rung conferences. That’s the hope, anyway.

My bet is that we won’t.  UCF this year.  FAU’s bowl after last year and just years of watching only the same 10 schools get a real shot have just ended it for me.  The system needs to change.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

It’s more about the crap bowls, the fake playoff than it is about losing Littrell.  For me, anyway.  When he came here he had never stayed at a single place longer than 2 years.  He is a ladder climber and he’s damn good at it.  McCasland is one of those guys, too.  My advice is to not get emotionally tied to a single coach.  Be happy that we’re finally hiring decent ones who can actually take advantage of all of the built in natural advantages we have at UNT.  Maybe over time, if we keep winning, we’ll finally elevate ourselves out of the bottom rung conferences. That’s the hope, anyway.

My bet is that we won’t.  UCF this year.  FAU’s bowl after last year and just years of watching only the same 10 schools get a real shot have just ended it for me.  The system needs to change.

This. 

The system in place is killing CFB. The bowls are now all but meaningless. They kind of always have been in some regard, but with the influx of new bowls. 5-7 teams getting invites now, and the sponsorships smearing their name all over the bowl title has really killed the meaning of bowls. 

The system needs to be busted down and reconstructed. Whatever needs to be done, whoever needs to be bulldozed over to get it done, it needs to happen much sooner than later. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/16/2018 at 9:20 AM, emmitt01 said:

These are uncharted waters for this program.  When all three of my kids attend North Texas (and they WILL) I will likely tell them one of two stories.  Either, 2018 was the season the “sleeping giant” finally woke up, or 2018 was the most magical ride of my Mean Green life.  Either way, I will soak this season in. 

Still true, @emmitt01.

• Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This. 

The system in place is killing CFB. The bowls are now all but meaningless. They kind of always have been in some regard, but with the influx of new bowls. 5-7 teams getting invites now, and the sponsorships smearing their name all over the bowl title has really killed the meaning of bowls. 

The system needs to be busted down and reconstructed. Whatever needs to be done, whoever needs to be bulldozed over to get it done, it needs to happen much sooner than later. 

We were one of those 5-7 teams that got in 2 years ago...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

This is why I enjoy watching the other 6 to 8 teams who think they should be in the mythical playoff get screwed every year.

It wasn’t that long ago it was still up to a bunch of globe-head newspaper writers who had never played before....voting in two teams for a mythical NC.  Now it’s 4 teams.

Eventually this thing gets changed out of a collective frustration or an anti-monopoly lawsuit.

Rick

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Big Z said:

We were one of those 5-7 teams that got in 2 years ago...

That's true, but I still think there are too many.  I'd like to remove one bowl a year over the next five or so seasons and see how that looks.  Well over half the teams that play football get into a bowl now.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I came to North Texas in 1997 as a lifetime Dentonite who had never really give North Texas much thought (aside from running up and down the stairs of the Pit as a kid because my aunt had season tickets and brought me along).  Once I stepped on campus, that all changed though.  I joined Talons and became immersed in all things Mean Green (didn’t hurt there were several attractive female members).   I eventually became the organization’s President.  I was at every home football and basketball game, even when I was 1 of 500 in attendance.  I was in Lubbock for the Tech wins, in Fouts for the Baylor dismantling and the Nevada monsoon, in New Mexico for the “miracle in the desert”, in Lafayette and in Hot Springs to watch us punch tickets to the NCAA tournament.  I raised the money to buy 1,000 North Texas t-shirts so we could begin the program where we would exchange them for other schools’ shirts (no, that was not RV’s idea).  I also began the movement to wear green on Fridays (no, that wasn’t the administration’s idea, though I am glad they took it to the next level).  I have lived and breathed North Texas for my entire adult life...often in the face of much negative feedback by the bandwagon fans of “bigger” schools.  

So when I watched us curb stomp SMU this year, then crush Arkansas, then break ground on an indoor practice facility, and reach the end of a second consecutive 9 win season (while having the conference’s #1 recruiting class) I began to feel like FINALLY the sun was beginning to shine on us.  FINALLY the constant badgering of friends to come to games...FINALLY the prodding of my children to wear green to school every day (though that does violate the dress code)...FINALLY the years of time, energy, money and effort we’re being rewarded with a program that people have to take notice of.  

Then I read on this board that our head coach (and possibly the best parts of his staff) is going to take a 2nd rate job in the Big XII, our 9 win season might be rewarded with a trip to New Mexico to play Nevada, and the recruiting class may fall apart just in time for early signing day.  

I will be there next football season no matter what, I’ll be in the Super Pit no matter what...but I just gotta ask “when do the nut kicks stop?”

The only thing I am disappointed in is our fans.  Man we are poised to be going places we haven’t been in a long time over the next 10 years.  One guy isn’t responsible for that.  Do we want a long term successful program or do we want to keep SL.  I am for the former, I hope he stays for some continuity. but if SL leaves, see ya, we rebound with a better coach and continue the climb.  .

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

The only thing I am disappointed in is our fans.  Man we are poised to be going places we haven’t been in a long time over the next 10 years.  One guy isn’t responsible for that.  Do we want a long term successful program or do we want to keep SL.  I am for the former, I hope he stays for some continuity. but if SL leaves, see ya, we rebound with a better coach and continue the climb.  .

I'm not going anywhere.  I've been around over twenty years and I still use football and basketball as an excuse to go back and visit UNT,  Denton, and friends.  Doesn't mean the games aren't mostly meaningless.  How much could this place take off if we were actually playing for something?!

This system needs to change and change now.  Seize the day, seize the momentum and change it.  If it doesn't change after UCF goes two years without a loss I don't know that it ever will.  We need our schools and presidents to band together and DEMAND BETTER.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

I'm not going anywhere.  I've been around over twenty years and I still use football and basketball as an excuse to go back and visit UNT,  Denton, and friends.  Doesn't mean the games aren't mostly meaningless.  How much could this place take off if we were actually playing for something?!

This system needs to change and change now.  Seize the day, seize the momentum and change it.  If it doesn't change after UCF goes two years without a loss I don't know that it ever will.  We need our schools and presidents to band together and DEMAND BETTER.

That's why going independent is at least an idea. Otherwise, it'll be forever more of the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Yep. 100%

• Lovely Take 1