This came up in another thread as one of the many subtopics. I first heard about esports at a networking event through the Baylor Business network. Baylor, NT and a number of other Texas schools are starting to drop real money into esports. At first, I was really skeptical - not unlike @UNTLifer, I didn't consider this "sports." I also misremember at least one stat I wrote in the other thread - while esports championships are drawing more viewers than some pro sport championships, last year's SuperBowl drew 154 million and "League of Legends championship" drew 54 million. That 54 million is more than the World Series (38 million), the NBA finals (32 million) and the Stanley Cup finals (11 million). 

I started paying attention when it was pointed out the average age of viewers for NFL, baseball, NBA and hockey are all now over 50 and increasing every year. Esports of mostly 15 to 25, but as they age they still watch esports so that 25 keeps going up. 

There's a guy who goes by Ninja who currently makes about $1,000,000 a MONTH streaming his game planning. Both the NFL and NBA are creating esports leagues to stay relevant to fans in the future. A number of colleges are adding esports. Baylor is starting to give scholarships out. I"m not sure about NT, but we are definitely investing in esports. 

Here's a report by Goldman Sachs on esports I thought many might find interesting. 

https://www.goldmansachs.com/insights/pages/infographics/e-sports/index.html?cid=sch-pd-google-esportshub-searchad-201810-----&mkwid=JoRcjaSG&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3IPgBRCAARIsABb-iGKlv1eYpI45Eilh1UwFfmh5mXIicMBHbwoP_VrefFEzHT93tupjehUaAl7BEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Very sad.

Rick

Exactly. People today are more interested in sitting on their rear ends playing a game on their computer than going out and actually playing. The first step in becoming the society depicted in the movie Wall-e. 

I don't discount the popularity of online gaming, but do not call it a sport 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly. People today are more interested in sitting on their rear ends playing a game on their computer than going out and actually playing. The first step in becoming the society depicted in the movie Wall-e. 

I don't discount the popularity of online gaming, but do not call it a sport 

510009154.gif

• Confused 1