Should Wren announce a Littrell extension and bump in pay?

Harry

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

TRIPLE his buyout???

Are we going to TRIPLE his salary???   Why would he ever agree to that?

Exactly. People who are acting like we can greatly increase his buyout don't understand negotiation. Seth already has a higher buyout than Matt Wells, Neal Brown, Brian Harsin, etc. That's probably been helpful in his retention. He makes more than most of those guys too. But Seth ain't going to agree to some ridiculous buyout unless it was a contract that paid him ridiculous pay. Do people understand he has an agent (and a well known one at that) that does this for a living?

• Upvote 1

Only if this significantly increases the buyout. Otherwise there is no point. SL is well paid (clear number one in C-USA) and if at this amount he wants to leave, NT should probably accept that. For now he is paid like an HC who gets at a minimum 8 wins every season and aims at 10+ every other. That can also go south quickly. So, no need to really hike more unless you get something out of it. If you can increase the buyout significantly (say a million more), then yes, sure, that may actually qualify as useful.

• Upvote 1

To the original post/question: 

Why, if he's seriously looking at accepting the KSU offer (if it happens, or already has), would he sign a contract that made his new school have to pay MORE for him leave UNT?  That's ultimately money that would have to come out of his new AD's budget.  You're thinking he likes UNT so much he wants to play Robin Hood and send some of KSU's fat P5 media share our way out of fondness?

Doesn't make sense.  If he signed it, then great, we're covered for next year.  But he's not signing something like that if he's out the door anyway.

• Upvote 1

My thought is for Wrenn to call his agent and tell him they can talk contact after the bowl game. It wouldn't be a huge raise, but something to recognize he's got sus to back to back 9 win seasons for the first time in 40 years. A bowl win means its a slightly larger bump. The bumps should reset the buy out clock. For those who don't realize it, buy outs decrease each year from the first year of a contract. A bump can start the clock over. It also shows him we're committed to him, but realize he's going to likely move on at some point. 

We aren't going to win a bidding war with K State and shouldn't even try. But we should still show we are serious as that makes NT look better to the AAC, MWC and other schools. A track record of financial commitments are going to go farther for us in the coming realignments than even winning will. Everyone has up and down records, but showing a sustained financial commitment means we'll be able to compete on a bigger stage. And a sustained financial commitment isn't something that you can just start right before realignment - you need to start well before and keep it up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I agree here.

A few thoughts. He is already one of the highest paid G5 coaches. Are we bidding against ourselves? Part of me still questions if he is really KState's top target. In my mind (and I think deep down, LIttrell would agree with this) He still has more than a few things to prove here. (If you go on P5, big job standards...not 50 years of UNT standards) I'm not trying to discount what Littrell is doing here. (I stress doing....he still hasn't done) He's never won the conference (arguably the worst conference in FBS) He hasn't won a bowl game. Has he beaten a really good team?

I'm going to look at this from an objective, P5 viewpoint on what he's accomplished. For example, get past the name....and Arkansas is a HORRIBLE team. What is is his best win? Is it Arkansas? What about losses. Some horrible losses including choking away THREE double digit leads, one 4 TD lead against a far out manned team. Getting the doors blown off in others. 

Again, I don't say all this to downplay what he's in the process of doing. I love it. But I think he's still a young, inexperienced head coach (and it absolutely showed this year) This year he's finally getting a top recruiting class committed. That's a huge step forward. But if I'm a P5 team (one with a decent tradition) I see him as a risk at this point. I still say he's gonna need a couple more years.

I want him here as long as we can keep him. But on the flipside....I would be lying if I didn't say I've been day dreaming a little about who could come in here and take the talent we have coming back on offense and see what we could do with it.

So I would say....no need to up his pay at this point. We've already shown that we're serious and I agree with what others have said...this is one of the best G5 jobs in the country. 

This. This. This.

And the answer is probably Army 2017. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So much speculation on here. You all are going to have ulcers if you all are not careful. 

if it does happen, it happens we all knew this was not the final stop of his career.  Let's hope we can find an even better coach to build on SL foundation. Or just say screw it and hire Briles and take the heat

image.png.1922a6e903263a18361c321f3cb4a593.png

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2