New Head Coaches Hired

TheReal_jayD

It's possible that SL goes to TT.  But, I'm sure the guy, his agent, etc all have feelers out there.    If he feels that Lincoln Riley might get plucked this year or next year by way of NFL rumors, then I'd say he'd hold out and stay put at UNT.  And if he does, UNT needs to find a way to throw more money at him (yes, again...).  But with more money comes the need for an increased buyout. 

Just need to keep protecting ourselves for the future. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

It's possible that SL goes to TT.  But, I'm sure the guy, his agent, etc all have feelers out there.    If he feels that Lincoln Riley might get plucked this year or next year by way of NFL rumors, then I'd say he'd hold out and stay put at UNT.  And if he does, UNT needs to find a way to throw more money at him (yes, again...).  But with more money comes the need for an increased buyout. 

Just need to keep protecting ourselves for the future. 

So Tech doesn't want Littrell but OU would want him next year?  Got it. 

21 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

More like Littrell might not want Tech this year if there's a chance of OU within the next couple. I certainly wouldn't blame him! 

Winning the bowl game means 10 wins in a single season at University/D1/D1A/FBS. Littrell will be the first coach to do that without benefit of a forfeit. To me that would warrant some kind of contract reward and any changes to his contact should include more buy out dollars or a longer buy out period or both. 

Any buyout NT could get wouldn't deter OU but might make a lessor school think twice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

More like Littrell might not want Tech this year if there's a chance of OU within the next couple. I certainly wouldn't blame him! 

Winning the bowl game means 10 wins in a single season at University/D1/D1A/FBS. Littrell will be the first coach to do that without benefit of a forfeit. To me that would warrant some kind of contract reward and any changes to his contact should include more buy out dollars or a longer buy out period or both. 

Any buyout NT could get wouldn't deter OU but might make a lessor school think twice. 

EXACTLY what I'm saying...Thank you...

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

That's not the way this works. That's like saying you didn't want to take the hot chick to prom even though she had no desire to go with you anyway.  The rumor of Littrell to Texas Tech was quickly squashed by local media sources. It was squashed by Texas Tech not by Littrell lol. 

11 hours ago, All About UNT said:

I think Texas Tech wants to move on from having a head coach from the "pure air raid" coaching tree.  I don't think it had anything to do with anything else.  Even if our team went 11-2 with conference title and Bowl game win I think they would be a little reluctant.  1. With those this on his resume an agent is asking Tech for 3.5 per million salary (or more) and a large coaching staff budget.  2. If Seth lives up to the unreasonable expectations in Lubbock he leaves for a better job within 5  years.  I don't see Tech trying to bring in a pro style offense.  However they want Air Raid with some wrinkles (maybe even a limited QB under center package) and much better defense.  It will be very interesting if Les Miles is successful at Kansas.  Because that might inspire copy cats moving away from the spread in the Big 12.  Who knows maybe he will open up his offense more and get some balance

15 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You mean like first time HC LR??

...Who was OC & hand-picked by his predecessor.   Details are important.

Littrell isn't going to OU until he does something amazing here, and/or does something amazing somewhere else.

And not amazing by a battered Mean Green fan's perspective (2 9-win seasons in a row, with a possibility of getting 10), but amazing by an entitled Oklahoma fan's perspective (what UCF is doing).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And not amazing by a battered Mean Green fan's perspective (2 9-win seasons in a row, with a possibility of getting 10), but amazing by an entitled Oklahoma fan's perspective (what UCF is doing).

This is so right on. +100

I hope people can see the difference in these two perspectives. They are miles apart when it comes to national perception.

This is in no way downplaying what LIttrell is doing here....please don't misunderstand me. He is absolutely succeeding.  But he hasn't succeeded. For Littrell to get to a Scott Frost or Brian Kelly level....he is going to have to get to a NY6 Bowl. That is what it will take to jump from UNT to a blue blood program like OU. Which means we will have to be the top G5 school in the nation. That is the standard and the only standard to jump to a top 10 program. It's multiple 11 or 12 win seasons and NY6 or nothing.

OR....he's going to have to jump to a non-blue blood P5....have success there....then the next step will be an OU. 

But there is NO way he jumps from a 9-10 win CUSA program straight to an OU type program. He will be behind other top G5 coaches and successful P5 coordinators.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...Who was OC & hand-picked by his predecessor.   Details are important.

Littrell isn't going to OU until he does something amazing here, and/or does something amazing somewhere else.

He's not going to OU because Riley is their head coach.  Have you read anything that leads you to believe he is leaving when he coached the Heisman winner last year and possibly again this year while also qualifying for the CFP?

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

He's not going to OU because Riley is their head coach.  Have you read anything that leads you to believe he is leaving when he coached the Heisman winner last year and possibly again this year while also qualifying for the CFP?

I don't believe Lincoln Riley will be at Oklahoma for very long.   Not saying this offseason, but possibly within the next 3 years.   Many NFL eyes are on him.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't believe Lincoln Riley will be at Oklahoma for very long.   Not saying this offseason, but possibly within the next 3 years.   Many NFL eyes are on him.

Who?  Has Riley stated that the NFL is where he wants to be?  Remember Nick Saban.  The NFL isn't always a good fit for a college coach.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Who?  Has Riley stated that the NFL is where he wants to be?  Remember Nick Saban.  The NFL isn't always a good fit for a college coach.

Just answering your questions. 

I'm not the one who's saying Littrell is going to Oklahoma.  I'm actually saying the opposite.

And just like Littrell, I'm betting Riley thinks he's the best mind in football, can win anywhere, & would accept the challenge of the NFL in a split-second.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Remember Nick Saban.  The NFL isn't always a good fit for a college coach.

Perhaps.  But the NFL was pretty damn good to Jimmy Johnson.  How 'bout dem Cowboys!

And you just never know until you try to make that jump.

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1