OT. Matt Simon

Arkstfan

7 hours ago, Cerebus said:

The Father of the Safeway Bowl is never off topic.

He did/said some really unforgivable things to some players/ coaches/ staff/ athletic department personnel during his tenure.  As an adult now, I can't believe he was tolerated for so long. Sadly he gets his name mentioned still because of the Safeway quote. Most of the team thought it was embarrassing when he said it but I guess some fans like it. 

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

He did/said some really unforgivable things to some players/ coaches/ staff/ athletic department personnel during his tenure.  As an adult now, I can't believe he was tolerated for so long. Sadly he gets his name mentioned still because of the Safeway quote. Most of the team thought it was embarrassing when he said it but I guess some fans like it. 

He certainly didn't endear himself to the rest of the athletic department. Didn't he also say some kind of nasty thing about the Commandant of West Point after he lost a game up there? He didn't have much of a filter on what he'd say. 

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Somebody likes bleached meat?  Who woulda thunk it?

Funny true story.  Back in high school I actually worked at a (now closed) Food Lion in Allen, TX during the bleaching scandal.  Was pretty creepy how empty the stores were for months after that.  Lots of time "facing the HBA" aisle to look busy. 🙄

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

He certainly didn't endear himself to the rest of the athletic department. Didn't he also say some kind of nasty thing about the Commandant of West Point after he lost a game up there? He didn't have much of a filter on what he'd say. 

He had very nasty things to say about Army and said he had the right because he was an Army brat. Playing Nazi videos mixed with our weekly films with another team's school song playing for motivation is still mind boggling. Comparing bonfires to book burning, ect... Soooo many strange things that didn't belong in football back then. I'm so happy we have a professional and classy staff now.