Goodbye Fouts!

Cerebus

People keep asking about the pictographs/reliefs on the facade of the stadium.     Well, I'd say if they're starting to chew away at the stadium with that monster,, then no effort is being made to keep them.   They wouldve removed them first.  A missed opportunity.   Hell, I wouldve given them $500 bucks for one of them. 

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a whole bunch of concrete in that stadium.  Story was that when it came time to demolish "dormitory row" at TWU, 2 or 3 companies went bankrupt when the demolition job was bigger than their bid allowed for.  Back then, the motto was, if a little concrete is good, a lot is better.

Thanks Fouts.  We hardly knew ya.

GO MEAN GREEN

It's a shame we did not do more to commemorate the closing of Fouts. While it had long outlived its useful life, there are many fond memories there held by multiple generations.

ODU is demolishing their stadium, Foreman Field,  as well as they race to build a new one in time for next season. Following their last game against VMI, they invited Foreman's relatives to turn off the stadium's lights for the last time.  Just prior to this, they put together a video showing the highlights of events that took place at  Foremen Field over the many years.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

It's a shame we did not do more to commemorate the closing of Fouts. While it had long outlived its useful life, there are many fond memories there held by multiple generations.

ODU is demolishing their stadium, Foreman Field,  as well as they race to build a new one in time for next season. Following their last game against VMI, they invited Foreman's relatives to turn off the stadium's lights for the last time.  Just prior to this, they put together a video showing the highlights of events that took place at  Foremen Field over the many years.

I get it but that land is valuable and things have to move forward.  We certainly all have special memories from Fouts that we will cherish forever.

https://meangreensports.com/news/2018/11/27/football-final-fouts-demolition-begins-tuesday.aspx

The North Texas Athletic Department will commemorate the end of the stadium where North Texas had a .605 winning percentage, going 155-100-7, with an event on Dec. 8 as the razing nears completion.

The event is planned to take place at the southwest corner of Fouts beginning at 1:45 p.m. and concluding at 2:30. Hot chocolate, coffee and light snacks will be served, and fans will be able to view the wreckage. The event will take place prior to the Mean Green basketball doubleheader at the Super Pit, featuring the women against Utah State at 3 p.m. and the men against UTA at 5.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Stix said:

fans will be able to view the wreckage

kind of like a wake with an open casket

Edited by Stix
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Fouts should have been torn down the year we decided to move back into D1A.  Or better yet, rather than drop down to D1AA in 1980(?), a comprehensive plan should have been developed on replacing Fouts within a year of deciding to stay in D1A.  Small minds ran our athletic department and sports in general into the ground.  I’ve still got the red ass over all that.  Damn simple minded administrators!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Note: this is a playlist of several videos. Let it play.  

Also, I still have my commemorative coffee mug from the last year at Fouts.   I thought UNT did quite a bit to commemorate the closing. 

Also, flashback to 8 years ago to the day:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/untmeangreen/2010/11/28/football-unt-loses-fouts-finale-as-coaching-change-looms

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

How we ever recruited kids to play there is astounding.

Many great memories.  One was the greatest pickup football games I ever played in the winter of 1991 as a student.  The field was covered in snow and ice and several of us headed to Fouts with a football.  Apparently many other students had the same idea and soon we seemed to have 20+ players on each team.  It was overwhelming playing QB with that many receivers! The slips and falls were epic. So much fun and a great memory.

Edited by Talon90

1 hour ago, Talon90 said:

How we ever recruited kids to play there is astounding.

Many great memories.  One was the greatest pickup football game I ever played in the winter of 1991 as a student.  The field was covered in snow and ice and several of us headed to Fouts with a football.  Apparently many other students had the same idea and soon we seem to have 20+ players on each team.  It was overwhelming playing QB with that many receivers! The slips and falls were epic. So much fun and a great memory.

So true.  Even though I have some good memories of times at Fouts, I am conflicted and reminded of how in it’s later years it stood as a monument of how little our leadership and administration supported football and athletics in general.  

Even though we built Apogee, when I drove by Fouts on 35 it was a constant reminder of how bad things were.  So the more I think about it, the more I say good riddance.  

15 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Agree 100% we had to move on and get rid of Fouts. My point is that perhaps we could have done more at the last game at Fouts to say goodbye and recognize its importance to our university.

we had an entire season of football built around the last year at Fouts stadium... and we had one of the biggest opponents come in to close it out... I feel like we honored the final game their properly... we just didnt tear it down soon enough.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Damn!  Why did the contractor use that type of equipment?  Get the "headache ball" on the job and the west side stands would be history by now.

They took down the student side the same way.