Oklahoma (11/27/18)

CMJ

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

However,  this should be NT toughest game of the season.  

I think New Mexico might be slightly better than OU...and we've a handful of really solid C-USA opponents that'd also win 3 of 10 games at OU. 

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/North-Texas-Mean-Green-unable-to-capitalize-on-opportunity-against-Oklahoma-Sooners-125482598/

The first half was competitive, but way too many missed shots from 3.  It was a disappointing result, but it was nice seeing so many fellow Mean Green fans there and I did like our uniforms.  GMG

10 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

there were distinct adjustments first half to second. we drop 2 or 3 bunnies and some of the weird box out/off-ball fouls go another way (certainly not blaming officiating) and we're within 5 at the under 4. it didn't and this is a learning moment. 

For sure.  Execution was an issue.  Likely due to nerves.  But "we kept running small ball & attacking"... is kinda the core of what McCasland does.  Sure there are adjustments to be made within that realm, but that philosophy is not going away.

9 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I think New Mexico might be slightly better than OU...and we've a handful of really solid C-USA opponents that'd also win 3 of 10 games at OU. 

Completely agree.   OU will not be the most difficult team we face this season.

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For sure.  Execution was an issue.  Likely due to nerves.  But "we kept running small ball & attacking"... is kinda the core of what McCasland does.  Sure there are adjustments to be made within that realm, but that philosophy is not going away.

Completely agree.   OU will not be the most difficult team we face this season.

except, I think the point I'm making is we weren't "attacking" at all in the first half despite OU over-playing the perimeter. 16 of 31 first half shots were threes as opposed to 10 of 38 in the second half (with a handful of those being late after the Sooners game-ending run). 

small ball is just a product of the roster (Grant's philosophy as well, sure) so we work with what we've got...Tikho isn't ready, Arikawe is limited and Alcindor is sitting out the year. I mentioned at half time that we actually had one of our more successful first half runs with a tiny line-up...Jahmiah-Duffy-Ryan-Smart-Miller...and I wanted to see that for spells in the second. 

we didn't lose b/c we were smaller. we lost in part b/c we saw the difference athletically in a good Big 12 post v. a good C-USA post...we rushed some shots and played harried and, in truth, just had a spell of bad luck with some suspect off-ball fouls and not being able to finish a couple hard drives and 2nd/3rd chance buckets. it happens. 

11 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Perhaps if Jaquan Lyle and Carlton Bragg were playing. With Lyle hurt and Bragg’s waiver denied, I’d be more disappointed in losing to them than losing to OU honestly.

33 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

except, I think the point I'm making is we weren't "attacking" at all in the first half despite OU over-playing the perimeter. 16 of 31 first half shots were threes as opposed to 10 of 38 in the second half (with a handful of those being late after the Sooners game-ending run). 

small ball is just a product of the roster (Grant's philosophy as well, sure) so we work with what we've got...Tikho isn't ready, Arikawe is limited and Alcindor is sitting out the year. I mentioned at half time that we actually had one of our more successful first half runs with a tiny line-up...Jahmiah-Duffy-Ryan-Smart-Miller...and I wanted to see that for spells in the second. 

we didn't lose b/c we were smaller. we lost in part b/c we saw the difference athletically in a good Big 12 post v. a good C-USA post...we rushed some shots and played harried and, in truth, just had a spell of bad luck with some suspect off-ball fouls and not being able to finish a couple hard drives and 2nd/3rd chance buckets. it happens. 

Much like with AJ Lawson and Allante Holston, I like Jahmiah Simmons more when he’s surrounded by shooters. Even if that means he’s our big. If Tikhonenko can develop into a player we can trust, he and Simmons would be good fits next to each other. Grant really likes Jahmiah so I tend to think he just hasn’t turned the corner and he can be more than just a better defending/rebounding version of Lawson and Holston. 

Also, they did burn Alcindor’s redshirt. He was a DNP-CD yesterday.

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Perhaps if Jaquan Lyle and Carlton Bragg were playing. With Lyle hurt and Bragg’s waiver denied, I’d be more disappointed in losing to them than losing to OU honestly.

Much like with AJ Lawson and Allante Holston, I like Jahmiah Simmons more when he’s surrounded by shooters. Even if that means he’s our big. If Tikhonenko can develop into a player we can trust, he and Simmons would be good fits next to each other. Grant really likes Jahmiah so I tend to think he just hasn’t turned the corner and he can be more than just a better defending/rebounding version of Lawson and Holston. 

Also, they did burn Alcindor’s redshirt. He was a DNP-CD yesterday.

I confused Alcindor and Muhammed...mea culpa. 

I think we have looked tired the past three games and our shooting percentage has shown it. We have played more games than anyone else in the country and throw in the travel to Hawaii. I think this week off and the week for finals will help them get their legs back under them. We haven't missed that many layups and put backs in a game in the past two years combined. We played hard and fought our tails off on the boards. We will be fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1