Oklahoma (11/27/18)

CMJ

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Make no mistake, this was a disappointing effort in a game we could have won.

less the effort than execution.

there a few things I put on the players, a few things I put on Grant. we'd peak as a .500 team in the Big 12...makes me excited for conference play

• Downvote 1

I feel like this is a good example of why you want to schedule tougher than NT has this season (apart from the fact that it kills NCAA chnaces if one were to go on a run). This is the kind of game NT can win, OU is definitely within reach. They are not gonna run roughshod over the Big XII. But not having seen an opponent of that quality clearly showed, nervousness at the start of the game cost, not being used to all those very contested plays under the basket cost. Not having more of this kind of games means there are no opportunities to get this big win.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Incredibly disappointing. Other than the adjustment at half to attack the basket I don’t feel we made a single change in the second half. We kept running small ball and attacking. Gibson should have been pulled ages ago and something needed to be done to address the definite height/length advantage OU had. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I feel like maybe the easy schedule so far could be somewhat offset by not having our best player. 

We have Smart back now. And we need to get him going. We have a tougher stretch coming up. 

Hopefully once Smart gets the rust off things will start firing on all cylinders again. 

Seemed like that 3-minute stretch around 13:00 - 10:00 (started at ~38-41, ended at ~40-48) was what did us in.  Picked up some fouls that were iffy, & turned the ball over or missed some layups/open shots.  After that, the guys started playing too tight & it got sloppy.

We can be better, and I think we’ll do well in conference play.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Mo Gibson’s numbers against DI opponents compared to against DII opponents are night and day. Still just his third D1 Road game of his career. He has shown a lot of ability. Once he gets fully acclimated to the speed of the game he’s gonna be a dog for us.

He was just ice-cold tonight.  

But yeah, he’s played in a dozen games for us.  Sky’s the limit for him.

Just now, GangGreen said:

That's who we are.

I remember us averaging 10 made threes a game and Simmons working the paint. We don’t need every guard going out of control into the paint. Haven’t seen that this year. I think nerves were all high and the guts really wanted this one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

good lord I hate how so many of you are completely unable to separate your homer-ism from an objective assessment of a game. I swear the ignorance of forever having bad programs coupled with the entitlement of small-scale success leads to some of the worst sports takes ever 

tonight was absolutely an opportunity and I'm disappointed we didn't take full advantage. OU is a mid-level at best Big 12 team and we match up individually in terms of talent. that said, they dug in and really used their length to be disruptive on defense, especially in the first half, and we undoubtedly came out playing that one-beat quicker than ideal...rushed some shots, didn't execute as we normally would. 

we made some really good second half adjustments...Ryan was fantastic...he's becoming an all-time favorite of mine as he's one of the few in program history I can think of as having both above average measurables and a high hoops IQ. he was smartly assertive and their defense started to collapse more. we just missed shots...and anyone who has ever played this game understands that missed shots, especially bunnies like the Simmons' boys kept missing are highly contagious. 

I'm not happy with Grant for the weird Tikho/Gibson sequence in the second half...honestly, I don't think Gibson should've seen the floor in the second half...he looked erratic to me against the likes of Hawaii and lesser opponents and felt if he didn't knock down a few shots early he'd start pressing against OU. alas. Gibson will end up averaging 25 a night as a senior, but he has some IQ limitations right now and they were exposed. other than that, I think Grant's adjustments were spot on...we just didn't execute. 

we have a good and fun basketball team...two years after having five years of embarrassment. stop being so douchey after every (now much rarer) loss

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.  I was thinking the same thing.  What else are we gonna do?  Start running the Triangle?

there were distinct adjustments first half to second. we drop 2 or 3 bunnies and some of the weird box out/off-ball fouls go another way (certainly not blaming officiating) and we're within 5 at the under 4. it didn't and this is a learning moment. 

Actually kind of encouraged by the game.   NT played better than the  last two games against a much better team.  The team was obviously nervous at the beginning and gave up at the end, but overall showed good effort.  

I thought Zack got pushed around but he did end up with the most rebounds in the game.  Smart is still rusty, but making progress.   Woolridge who played the whole game, kept NT in the game. 

I think the results were to be expected after an ultra easy oc schedule up till tonight.   

Shooting 22% from the 3 is not going to win many games.   However,  this should be NT toughest game of the season.  

• Confused 1