Kendal Briles Tx State Top Target

TheReal_jayD

19 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

I guess we should go easy on what we say about him, since he could be waiting to see what happens in Denton before making a commitment. 😎

I won't be waiting to discontinue season-tickets & move to 1 game/yr, if any if he became a HC here before proving he can run a clean program somewhere else for at least 5 years.

...just not interested in the black-eye that comes with him in the name of a kick-ass offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I won't be waiting to discontinue season-tickets & move to 1 game/yr, if any if he became a HC here before proving he can run a clean program somewhere else for at least 5 years.

...just not interested in the black-eye that comes with him in the name of a kick-ass offense.

Someone will take a chance on him, after a 2-3 year stint, he’lol be P5. The low-level G5’s like SWTSU-SM are perfect because they have so little to lose as a program. They can hire a Briles, weather the PR storm, and win some games finally. Or they can hire the next Everett Withers and be hiring again in 3 years after that one gets fired.

• All About UNT changed the title to Kendal Briles Interviews with Tx State
3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Has anyone heard.of any problems with the players he coached at either FAU or Houston? You can be certain Baylor came up in his talks with the Texas State AD. I honestly don't know enough to say if Kendal has learnt from the experience, but he had a front row seat to what can go wrong. I remember reading Kendal make a terribly inappropriate comment to a recruit but I don't remember the exact comment. That is clearly bad, but no where near covering up a rape. Since he'd gotten two jobs since then, I hope he realizes there really are things more important than winning football games. If he has, he's got the potential to be a hell of a coach.

One season at either school is not really enough for the problems to appear.

Also remember all the transfers with great talent FAU recruited when most other programs were thinking twice, in his season there?

I don't say he isn't / wasn't clean at those two programs, but I feel its a bit early to call him rehabilitated.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, outoftown said:

One season at either school is not really enough for the problems to appear.

Also remember all the transfers with great talent FAU recruited when most other programs were thinking twice, in his season there?

I don't say he isn't / wasn't clean at those two programs, but I feel its a bit early to call him rehabilitated.

Of the two Baylor players actually convicted of rape, the first had issued made public less than six months after his arrival. The guy from Boise State attacked a girl during his first semester on campus before he was even part of the football team. He never even practiced with the team. The story broke into the news before the end of that Fall semester. The second player convicted was involved in an incident in less than a year, but it took about eight months for that story to break. 

So yes, a year is enough time for things to start to happen and come out. I don't know if Kendal is recruiting on the edge or not, but so far there's nothing showing he is. 

I just did a quick google search on FAU players being arrested. No news stories after 2017 about FAU players, although I did notice a UCF player was arrested for rape right before they played this year! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Of the two Baylor players actually convicted of rape, the first had issued made public less than six months after his arrival. The guy from Boise State attacked a girl during his first semester on campus before he was even part of the football team. He never even practiced with the team. The story broke into the news before the end of that Fall semester. The second player convicted was involved in an incident in less than a year, but it took about eight months for that story to break. 

So yes, a year is enough time for things to start to happen and come out. I don't know if Kendal is recruiting on the edge or not, but so far there's nothing showing he is. 

I just did a quick google search on FAU players being arrested. No news stories after 2017 about FAU players, although I did notice a UCF player was arrested for rape right before they played this year! 

Couldn't disagree more with this stance. The question is also not only did something appear to go wrong with the players brought in, but also "is he bringing in questionable players". Its not just that Baylors players got into trouble, its that one of them (the Boise guy I think) was an obvious incredibly high character risk (I think he even had a sexual conviction before they took him) etc.

Given that, the bunch of questionable Juco and last chance U type of guys they got themselves in their first year at FAU have me unconvinced

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Couldn't disagree more with this stance. The question is also not only did something appear to go wrong with the players brought in, but also "is he bringing in questionable players". Its not just that Baylors players got into trouble, its that one of them (the Boise guy I think) was an obvious incredibly high character risk (I think he even had a sexual conviction before they took him) etc.

Given that, the bunch of questionable Juco and last chance U type of guys they got themselves in their first year at FAU have me unconvinced

You realize we have a last chance U guy tearing it up in our backfield. No issues that I have heard of

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It would hurt, but I will be quick to do likewise were any Briles hired here at UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Who?  Torrey went to Gulf Coast and "Last Chance U" is East Mississippi Community College.

Season 3 moved to a Kansas JUCO. Not sure which one, or who we have that might have gone there. But, they shifted to a new location for the most recent season of the show. 

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

Part of the Boise player’s transgressions should be put on squeaky clean Chris Peterson then.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

You realize we have a last chance U guy tearing it up in our backfield. No issues that I have heard of

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Who?  Torrey went to Gulf Coast and "Last Chance U" is East Mississippi Community College.

30 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Season 3 moved to a Kansas JUCO. Not sure which one, or who we have that might have gone there. But, they shifted to a new location for the most recent season of the show. 

Tim Faison is our Last Chance U Guy, he played at Independence Community College in Kansas during season 3 of last chance u

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Part of the Boise player’s transgressions should be put on squeaky clean Chris Peterson then.

Peterson says he warned Briles about him.  Briles denies it.  TSU-SM has decided to sell their soul if they hire Briles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Peterson says he warned Briles about him.  Briles denies it.  TSU-SM has decided to sell their soul if they hire Briles.

"The incidents and factors that contributed to Sam Ukwuachu's dismissal from the Boise State football team had nothing to do with accusations of any sexual assaults or with accusations that he physically assaulted any women," the Boise State statement said. "Boise State University never received any reports nor had any knowledge of Sam Ukwuachu being involved in any accusations of sexual assault before or during his time at Boise State.

So Chris Peterson said he beats women and Boiae State University says “we have no knowledge of him beating women”?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

Tevin Elliott assaulted 5+ people, beginning in 2009, and didn't get found out/in trouble until 2012. 

Ukwuachu was indicted in 2014 for the 2013 rape, but there weren't any media reports until 2015. This was widely reported at the time (2015). 

Oakman was dismissed from Penn State in 2012 for assault. There were articles praising his turnaround until he was arrested for rape in 2016. At THAT time, information regarding his 2013 assault in Waco was released. He went 4 years before the information came to light. 

Baylor University reported no sexual assaults from 2008-2011... it sometimes takes a while for these things to show up.

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

“After Sam Ukwuchu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles,” Petersen said in a released statement Friday afternoon (via Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com). “In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam’s disciplinary record and dismissal.”

The statement above is vague, does not contradict the Boise State statement, and says nothing directly of him mentioning domestic or sexual violence to Art Briles.

In the Texas Monthly piece it states he got drunk and violent but there is no indication he assaulted anything other than a window in that article. He was a drunken hothead and his parents brought him back to Texas to get more help on the advice of Boise officials but apparently the parents failed him in that regard.

• Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

“After Sam Ukwuchu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transferring to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles,” Petersen said in a released statement Friday afternoon (via Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com). “In that conversation, I thoroughly apprised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam’s disciplinary record and dismissal.”

The statement above is vague, does not contradict the Boise State statement, and says nothing directly of him mentioning domestic or sexual violence to Art Briles.

In the Texas Monthly piece it states he got drunk and violent but there is no indication he assaulted anything other than a window in that article. He was a drunken hothead and his parents brought him back to Texas to get more help on the advice of Boise officials but apparently the parents failed him in that regard.

I can't find a link to the article, but I remember reading the victim in the Boise beating was brought to Waco to testify in the rape case. She testified about being beaten by Ukwuchu but also testified she had never told anyone in Boise about the beating. She only started opening up about the beating when questioned by the McClendon County DA's office. So, BSU and Peterson didn't know about the beating, just that Ukwuchu had lost his temper and hit a window. The statements actually are all consistent, he was dismissed because of team rules violations and his temper, not because of any violence against a person. 

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I can't find a link to the article, but I remember reading the victim in the Boise beating was brought to Waco to testify in the rape case. She testified about being beaten by Ukwuchu but also testified she had never told anyone in Boise about the beating. She only started opening up about the beating when questioned by the McClendon County DA's office. So, BSU and Peterson didn't know about the beating, just that Ukwuchu had lost his temper and hit a window. The statements actually are all consistent, he was dismissed because of team rules violations and his temper, not because of any violence against a person. 

So what part of that tells Art Briles he was bringing in a player likely to commit sexual assault, a player that never participated in a single practice or game?

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So what part of that tells Art Briles he was bringing in a player likely to commit sexual assault, a player that never participated in a single practice or game?

Obviously, none of it. I don't think Briles believed he was bringing in someone likely to commit sexual assault. He thought it was a kid with a bad temper who claimed he'd learned his lesson and his family was going to provide more emotional support with him closer to home. I do think Briles probably should have dug deeper, but the exgirlfriend was the only one who knew U had assaulted her and wouldn't didn't talk about it till quizzed by the DA already prosecuting U for rape. 

On 11/26/2018 at 6:04 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree with all of the things he's done on the field VS where TXSt is at...  I just wasn't sure if his ties with the Baylor fiasco would have enough stench to keep all potential suitors away for a while.   I guess not.

Dad can't even get an OC job in Canada, but son can get a D1 HC job.    Wonder if he brings his dad on as an assistant?

Art is the perfect Seth Littrell replacement if you want nationwide publicity and a team that won’t fold the tents anytime it gets the lead. All three losses were very winnable and the last one downright embarrassing. If SL wants to go let him. He may have improved the situation here, but he threw away the chance to post a great season. He is ready to move or else he would not have hired an agent.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 9