DRC Monday column: Fine's pledge to stay a reason for UNT to celebrate

Brett Vito

DRC: Fine is a competitor. It's no surprise the thought of competing at a P5 school crossed his mind. What matters is that he pledged loyalty to UNT at a time loyalty isn't all that common in college athletics 

https://www.dentonrc.com/sports/brett-vito-fine-s-vow-to-stay-at-unt-a/article_1b48d5b7-3d4c-5461-baa7-ba390f37eea3.html

Edited by Brett Vito
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 13

My kid got (another) chance to meet MF...that's 2 weeks in a row.  It's kinda funny to think one day I'll be an old man and he'll be telling me about those 2 times he met MF after the FAU and UTSA wins (both very close and down to the wire).  I'm happy he gets a chance to experience football this way.  GMG

IMG_0095.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I’m Brett Vito, I like to write articles making it seem like the school’s all conference QB considered leaving when he actually didn’t at all. And when the shit blows up I’ll write another article acting like I was totally innocent and blame the whole thing on the fans. 

You are exactly right. He should have never written the first article. Now he is trying to walk it back after he saw the fans reactions. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

9 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I’m Brett Vito, I like to write articles making it seem like the school’s all conference QB considered leaving when he actually didn’t at all. And when the shit blows up I’ll write another article acting like I was totally innocent and blame the whole thing on the fans. 

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 #truth

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1

Stop it Brett. You wrote an article. That's your job. Don't make excuses, point fingers or blame others. Again, weighing the pros and cons is far more intense than "it crossed my mind". We all know the pros but what about the cons? Well, 1) a further distance might make it more difficult and more expensive for family and friends to make home games. 2) What if for some reason a nagging injury affects his play forcing him sit on the bench his senior year. 3) What if the receivers at the new school aren't nearly as good as the receivers he has at UNT and his stats aren't nearly as good as people expected. What if some hotshot freshman or another transfer comes in and he finds himself riding the bench the entire year? I'm sure there are many more cons but if I had to guess  none of them or the ones listed played any part in his decision to stay at UNT. No one knows more than Mason Fine what it feels like to be told you aren't big enough. You're not tall enough. You're not strong enough. You're not good enough. I believe Fines decision was based on the future, not one in football but one in the business world, or running for Chief of the Cherokee Nation. Or maybe public office. I think it all boiled down to integrity; for how could Mason tell the Mean Green Family you're not big enough, you're not tall enough, you're not strong enough, you're not good enough? That's why we love Mason Fine!!!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

So basically Vito poured gas on the ground, then lit it and then wondered why everyone was upset that the building caught on fire.

You take a quote that on a scale of 1-10 in controversy is a 2. You then twist it to make it a 9. Then....you throw out hypotheticals as to why one in Mason Fine's situation would consider transferring (even though he didn't...but now it doesn't matter.) Now the flame is lit....now you get social media and internet "debate" One side says "you must be naive to think that Mason Fine wouldn't consider transferring to a better situation for Mason Fine" the other side says "No! how could he consider leaving us!"

Both of those arguments are rooted in nothing more than a hypothetical brought up by a "journalist" that twisted an innocuous answer to a question about an internet rumor. The whole foundation for this entire "controversy" was based on nothing. Mason Fine had the thought cross his mind because he was asked about it. Brett Vito turned that into Fine "considered it" (in the DRC) and "Pondered it" (his headline on GMG.com) 

We can get into why it would be a big deal for the greatest player and biggest fan favorite to come through UNT since Mean Joe Greene to consider leaving before his eligibility is up all day......but let's make sure that's a real thing. In this case it wasn't.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1