Amazing Stat By Zach Babb.

FirefightnRick

I try not to read too much into this.  It seems like an attempt to get attention, by lumping a team - or a select few - into the likes of CFB elite.

You can celebrate defense with this stat but at the end of the day, a team could be 0-11 and still fit this criteria.

Maybe someone has a better way of looking at this.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 12

While that is an incredible stat and I'm proud of this team for having the chance to win every game, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I think there's either two things we're missing: Depth and/or conditioning. 

I'm gonna say depth. That can definitely lead to a blown lead late in games. That and discipline. 

Edited by meangreen2016
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

While that is an incredible stat and I'm proud of this team for having the chance to win every game, it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I think there's either two things we're missing: Depth and/or conditioning. 

I'm gonna say depth. That can definitely lead to a blown lead late in games. That and discipline. 

has nothing to do with that.  We threw 2 slot fades for TD's vs UAB and another on an out I believe and Darden couldn't be covered and we just couldn't seem to call those plays anymore rest of the game.  I am to lazy to do it, but I could find similar issues the other 2 losses.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

has nothing to do with that.  We threw 2 slot fades for TD's vs UAB and another on an out I believe and Darden couldn't be covered and we just couldn't seem to call those plays anymore rest of the game.  I am to lazy to do it, but I could find similar issues the other 2 losses.  

Run the ball during the entire game...not just half of it,....and don’t catch punts inside your own 10?

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

@GMG24 In terms of letting teams back in the game after being up 28-0, 17-3, and 21-0 it seems like depth (or something) is going on (They've also blown other big leads in games they've won). I think IF it is depth, then it is definitely more so with the defense than the offense. But I'm curious, do you think the main problem is the play calling on offense? Or that AND something else? It's at the point when I'm watching a game I could put money on the other team making a comeback.

I totally agree with the play calling adjustment in the UAB game, though. While you want to keep a team guessing, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If Darden is hot, get that man the ball. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

@GMG24 In terms of letting teams back in the game after being up 28-0, 17-3, and 21-0 it seems like depth (or something) is going on (They've also blown other big leads in games they've won). I think IF it is depth, then it is definitely more so with the defense than the offense. But I'm curious, do you think the main problem is the play calling on offense? Or that AND something else? It's at the point when I'm watching a game I could put money on the other team making a comeback.

I totally agree with the play calling adjustment in the UAB game, though. While you want to keep a team guessing, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If Darden is hot, get that man the ball. 

The fact that we struggle constantly with short yardage runs to me is more of a personnel issue than play calling.  You can call all the inside runs you want but if the big boys up front can't get guys moved its irrelevant. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

There’s nothing to ‘Read’ into anything.  It’s a damn amazing stat that we share with the best team in the nation.

Good God!...some of y’all need to start drinking earlier in the day or something.

Rick

1-11 UCONN could be in there.  This stat has nothing to do with team prowess.  It’s just “fun”, as stated above.  Not amazing to me lol

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

11 minutes ago, greenminer said:

1-11 UCONN could be in there.. This stat has nothing to do with team prowess.  It’s just “fun”, as stated above.  Not amazing to me lol

No they couldn’t....or they would be.  

Only two teams out of 130 can claim this......North Texas and Bama.

Great company to be keeping.

For someone who tries not to read too much into this your sure reading a lot into this?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Good God!...some of y’all need to start drinking earlier in the day or something.

Coping mechanism.

Some people, when they get hurt over and over, decide to not let themselves get hurt by sabotaging the situation.

So for example, lets say you were a college football fan.  Let's also say you following a particular program that has over and over let you down and/or held you up to public ridicule.

Some people are just going to stop following the program.  Some people are going to become die hard defenders.  Some people, however, are going to continue to follow the program and but never let themselves be vulnerable.  

So you down play every success, before some one else can.  You can't be a sucker, when you are the one calling every one else suckers.  You can't give up following the program, but you also can't let anyone get anything over on you.

So they downplay who we play, how meaningful any success is, how much worse the situation is than any of the others can see, who we are in a conference with, etc.  Because if you are the first to degrade, no one else can degrade you by degrading what you believe in.  

1 hour ago, Wookies said:

I think its both, but you can hide a personnel issue by calling the right play. If your left tackle struggles to block the man directly in front of him you don't ask him to try to stunt down the line on a slow developing play where he will undoubtedly get beat. You block straight ahead and and run a dive play behind you best lineman and possibly a tight end...or how about a QB sneak for a yard. It just seems like we overthink the most basic situations on offense.

Well you see, we are what they call a Spread team.  With heavy Air Raid influence.  We tried going under center 1 time last year and we fumbled the snap.  Do what you rep every day and take 1,000s of reps doing.  Plenty of teams can run the ball on 3rd and short out of the gun.  If he can’t block down, or block man in front it doesn’t matter.  He gets his ass whipped and it doesn’t matter what play you call behind what OL.  The play is over.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t really understand how you can’t be impressed with that stat

yes we coughed up those double digit leads but we were good enough to get them......in all 12 games. That’s what makes the losses all the more frustrating. WE WERE GOOD ENOUGH TO NEVER TRAIL BY MORE THAN ONE POSSESSION IN EVERY SINGLE GAME. In other words we were NEVER out of any game one time this year. I know I’ve never seen that in my time following UNT. The only other team to do that this season is arguably the greatest team in college football history. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

This stat and the one about us and Bama being the only teams to have double digit leads in every game are depressing.  I'm trying to stay positive because I realize these are a couple of the best back to back seasons in UNT history, but these stats illustrate how close we were to a very, very special season.  

• Upvote 1