4 and 1

Big Z

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

That is just false. Torrey is a very tough runner and quite often bounced off tacklers or ran through their tackles. Watch his TD from last week. This is some kind of misperception due to his size. 

No it’s not.   He’s great in space.  He makes guys miss.  But when contact is made, it’s hard (NOT impossible) for him to run through.  Easley could get a lot more yards after contact.

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Amen!  Go to the 1:36 mark below and look what he does to Tuaeffa, who is expected to enter the draft in the spring.

Pound for pound possibly one of the top 5 backs in the nation.

Rick

Made his own space in the backfield.  Hardly anyone touched him there.

Again, slippery dude.  Great when he has space.  Can make guys miss.  But he’s not gonna plow into a line & get your tough yards on 4th & 1 like Easly.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2018 at 12:00 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Scrub to the 2:48 mark.  

This was such a bad 4th and 1 play that the three linebackers never even got involved.

I’ll never understand snapping the ball back 6 yards...to make 1.  Still, MF admitted he missed a read and he sure did.  If he just pulls the ball he has Smith 1 on 1 on a SS in front of him and might have taken it to the house?

Rick

Didn't get to watch so catching up through highlights.

Wow the LT and LG get beat hard by one dude and the RT falls on his face. Kelvin avoids those guys to go across to the left to block for Fine. Play was DOA. Not sure if Fine pulling it would have helped any. They were in his face so it's quite possible they would've gobbled him up instead. Pun most definitely intended. If the DE missed him, the safety had filled in his gap behind him.

At 0:36 I think Torrey cut it back when he didn't need to. He had a decent seal to the left in the direction of the play. Again Kelvin avoids a block to kick it out.

One was awful line play, the other was bad decision making. Even the perfect play call can't help that.

• Lovely Take 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:37 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

No it’s not.   He’s great in space.  He makes guys miss.  But when contact is made, it’s hard (NOT impossible) for him to run through.  Easley could get a lot more yards after contact.

Again, slippery dude.  Great when he has space.  Can make guys miss.  But he’s not gonna plow into a line & get your tough yards on 4th & 1 like Easly.

I said the same thing, Easly just might had gained that one tough yard Texan.

• Thanks 1

Torrey must be the first running back in college football history to run for 977 yards without anyone ever laying a hand on him. 

Rick

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

But he’s not gonna plow into a line & get your tough yards on 4th & 1 like Easly.

From SMU through the end of the LaTech game, Easly was handed the ball 12 times on short yardage situations (2 yards or less). He converted 8 of them

Torry, in the same stretch, was give 11 tries. He converted 7 of them.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

From SMU through the end of the LaTech game, Easly was handed the ball 12 times on short yardage situations (2 yards or less). He converted 8 of them

Torry, in the same stretch, was give 11 tries. He converted 7 of them.

Hard to argue with the stats. That sounds like pretty much the same ratio. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Hard to argue with the stats. That sounds like pretty much the same ratio. 

I'll take it a step further:

In situations of ONE yard or less to go, up through the LT game:
Easly converted 4 of 4 opportunities
Torry converted 7 of 8.

IMO Torry no doubt benefited from Easly's absence in the Incarnate Word game.  Point being, however, there is nothing that suggests Torry can't carry the load as well as Easly.

I'm not sure how this idea came about, that Torry isn't as big/bruising as Easly.  Maybe it's because he's approximately 10 lbs lighter.  Maybe someone just looks at the tape and it's their own personal observation regardless of the stats.   Not sure

I think Torry is doing a fine job.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Torry converted 7 of 8.

IMO Torry no doubt benefited from Easly's absence in the Incarnate Word game.  Point being, however, there is nothing that suggests Torry can't carry the load as well as Easly.

I'm not sure how this idea came about, that Torry isn't as big/bruising as Easly.  Maybe it's because he's approximately 10 lbs lighter.  Maybe someone just looks at the tape and it's their own personal observation regardless of the stats.   Not sure

Also look at his runs and notice how often he bounces off a tackle. His 90+ yard kick off return is a good example. A few of his TD runs in the red zone were pure strength and will, as he was in the grasp of a defender.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Torry converted 7 of 8.

I also think Torrey is doing a fine job...  Better than "fine", really.  Don't get me wrong.

Can you break down HOW those touches happened?    Was Torrey tasked with going into the line?   Or was he running off-tackle, or maybe catching a pass in the flat?   These types of runs would benefit Torrey who is quick enough to get to the outside, or has enough wiggle to cut back and get the necessary yard.   
He's just a different runner than Easly.  There's nothing wrong with that, but the topic at hand is the smashmouth, line-up-and-get-1-yard style of running, which is not Torrey's strong suit.