Some down time now, so what do think of next years team

southsideguy

I was just looking through the roster for next year.  I see we lose three OL and I know we have one coming in from VT.  We have a lot of freshman OL they will be here next year.  I think this and linebackers will be the biggest holes to fill. Before you say it no one could replace the seniors on the line this year. The secondary is a concern also but this is college football.

I hope Seth is back and GH to keep the system going.  If GH is hired away maybe we should hire coach bro to be an OC.

Just trying to look into the future.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

With the December early signing period coming up, we will find out how well the coaching staff has addressed our biggest needs.....most of which have been adequately mentioned above. We have one O-line transfer, but what about some juco O-linemen?  The same for our DL situation.

As always I will be looking at the signing list with the same assessment phrase/mantra in mind that I always use...…..WHERE'S THE BEEF?

• Upvote 1

Our best players for some of the positions for next year’s team may not even be on campus yet?  

We have a 35 page thread of worrying and wailing where people have convinced themselves that everyone else wants our coach for this reason or that.  If true then one of the reasons has to be because the man can ID and develope talent.

Until he’s gone ‘rolls eyes’ maybe we should relax and enjoy the ride.

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Our best players for some of the positions for next year’s team may not even be on campus yet?  

We have a 35 page thread of worrying and wailing where people have convinced themselves that everyone else wants our coach for this reason or that.  If true then one of the reasons has to be because the man can ID and develope talent.

Until he’s gone ‘rolls eyes’ maybe we should relax and enjoy the ride.

Rick

Most of the commits have a higher grade after a season of playing. That only happens if a player blossoms and or gets p5 offers.

Again I say I'm in the minority on this board.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Without know who we have coming in next season at OL and DL, my concern is and has always been quality line depth.  The fact that we continued to use #71 all season is reason to believe that linemen are the hardest to recruit to Denton.  And linebackers too.

I think OL and DL are challenges in recruiting for most all schools that have the scarlett G5 stamped on our foreheads and.......asses.  

Blows me away that in Mason Fine's senior year our offensive line will still (apparently) be unsettled. Unless we have some JUCO offensive players lined up to enroll in December & play in the Spring game I'm not sure what to expect next Fall. 

The fantasy side of me wonders how Mason Fine would have performed the past 3 seasons with 2 or 3 All CUSA offensive linemen blocking for him.    

GMG!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

You guys pretty much stated it above. Worried about the defense and offensive line. Receivers should be great as they will all be seniors (had some key drops this year hopefully they work on that). We'll have Mason, Torrey and Easly should be a solid 1-2 punch at RB. A couple returning DL and DBs, but other than that we'll need some stud LBs to fill what we're losing. 

Also, I'm pretty sure we're losing our kicker (Grad Student). As much as this may not seem like a big deal, Hedlund has been pretty solid for the most part. I think we all have experienced how frustrating it is to have a kicker that you don't trust. Keep an eye on that. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll delete this immediately)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Going into the season, LBs looked to be NT's weakest position and turned out to  be a strength.  NT has 3 ol starters returning Woodward and the Mose brothers.  Looking at the offensive numbers the ol was not as bad as it keeps being portrayed.  Odds are that the ol should be at least as good as this year.  

The offense looks loaded with 9 starters returning and should be even better in Fine's senior year.   The defense loses a lot, so some younger players are going to have to surface.   Another potential problem is NT must find a kicker, Hedlund will be hard to replace. 

How qb sacks this year compared to last year anybody 

This is assuming everyone comes back and no one declares for NFL.  

WR  Bussey      

WR  Darden

LT   Brammer/VT Transfer                     

LG   Woodworth            

C   Mose       

RG  Mose     

RT  Parish       

H   Smith    

QB   Fine   

RB  Torrey/Ga. Johnson                                

WR  Guyton 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I was watching some of Torrey’s sick moves in last nights game on the highlight video and thought to look back at his rushing stats for the year.

And one thing that stands out to me besides that he gained 977 yards on 161 attempts, averaging 5.9 yards a carry, but he basically did it only carrying the ball half the season.  For instance, he only got one touch in the La Tech game.  And he’ll only be a junior next season.

I just don’t think people realize how damn good he is?  

Regardless we are set at RB for a while.

Rick

You are right, Torrey is a star plus Easley and Smith back.   The freshmen are going to have to be very good to get any carries.  NT is loaded at the skill positions for next year.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

WR  Bussey      

WR  Darden

LT   Brammer/VT Transfer                     

LG   Woodworth            

C   Mose       

RG  Mose     

RT  Parish       

H   Smith    

QB   Fine   

RB  Torrey/Ga. Johnson                                

WR  Guyton 

forgot Mike Lawrence.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GMG24 said:

WR  Bussey      

WR  Darden

LT   Brammer/VT Transfer                     

LG   Woodworth            

C   Mose       

RG  Mose     

RT  Parish       

H   Smith    

QB   Fine   

RB  Torrey/Ga. Johnson                                

WR  Guyton 

I am much more concerned about the other side of the ball

DE Novil

DT English (hopefully)

DE Hamilton 

LB King/Ozougwu

LB ????

LB ????

S  Davis/Moore

S Muhammad

S Robinson 

CB Johnson/Siggers

CB Roberts

I think our starting Dline is pretty formidable, but not much experienced depth.  Two LB spots are completely up for grabs and we all saw what happened when the backup CBs were pressed into service when Hall was injured. 

• Lovely Take 1

DE Novil/Tuulau Saafi

DT English (hopefully)/LeBlanc/Colvin

DE Hamilton/McMillan 

LB King/Ozougwu

LB Kevyon Davis will be immediate impact guy/Jordan Hunt

LB Tim Faison (similar to the year Ejiya has had)/ Larry Nixon

S  Davis/Moore

S Muhammad/ Makyle Sanders

S Robinson/ Alex Morris 

CB Johnson

CB Roberts/Crosby

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

DE Novil/Tuulau Saafi

DT English (hopefully)/LeBlanc/Colvin

DE Hamilton/McMillan 

LB King/Ozougwu

LB Kevyon Davis will be immediate impact guy/Jordan Hunt

LB Tim Faison (similar to the year Ejiya has had)/ Larry Nixon

S  Davis/Moore

S Muhammad/ Makyle Sanders

S Robinson/ Alex Morris 

CB Johnson

CB Roberts/Crosby

I thought Faison was a JACK?   

I agree on KD Davis & Larry Nixon though.    Those corners REALLY REALLY concern me though.
I also expect Novil to line up at the nose/1tech quite a bit as well (like Rod Young has been).

My concern for next year is the schedule

@ La Tech

@ Southern Miss

@ SMU (we haven't won there)

UH (more than likely be a home underdog)

@ Cal (solid P5 team)

Potential Crossovers: Marshall, MTSU, FIU all solid teams

On paper, our schedule is MUCH tougher next year. Also, with the amount that UAB is losing, and with Fine and Co. back....I'll bet we'll be the favorites to win the West again. We didn't do well as the front runners this year....we'll get everyone's best shot again.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, GMG24 said:

WR  Bussey      

WR  Darden

LT   Brammer/VT Transfer                     

LG   Woodworth            

C   Mose       

RG  Mose     

RT  Parish       

H   Smith    

QB   Fine   

RB  Torrey/Ga. Johnson                                

WR  Guyton 

What about Nic Smith?  Also, I would think Preston may become our LG with Woodworth moving to LT and the Va Tech transfer stepping in to Mayfield's spot.

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

My concern for next year is the schedule

@ La Tech

@ Southern Miss

@ SMU (we haven't won there)

UH (more than likely be a home underdog)

@ Cal (solid P5 team)

Potential Crossovers: Marshall, MTSU, FIU all solid teams

On paper, our schedule is MUCH tougher next year. Also, with the amount that UAB is losing, and with Fine and Co. back....I'll bet we'll be the favorites to win the West again. We didn't do well as the front runners this year....we'll get everyone's best shot again.

How much will this tougher schedule affect SL in his decision to stay or jump ship while the getting is good?

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

How much will this tougher schedule affect SL in his decision to stay or jump ship while the getting is good?

on paper....it's tougher.

If Seth Littrell looked at that schedule and thought anything but "bring it" I would be severely disappointed in Seth Littrell...

I'm going to go with he's not going to run from that schedule....