Perspective...

NorthTexasWeLove

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

My question to all would be, "where do you want to be in 5 years or more. Stay where we're at or keep moving up the food chain"?

Now that’s a legitimate question.   I think our goal should be to move up on conferences in 4-5 years.  P5 is not going to happen, but MWC or AAC are possible.  Or, if there is major shakeup again and a new higher tier G5 forms, we need to be ready for that.

I think we are doing what we must to position for those things: record setting fund raising,  record setting attendance, winning on the field, recruiting better, paying salaries that draw legitimate coaches for where we want to be in the future.  All of these bars have to continue to be raised for the next 5 years to get there.

• Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Problem...there are no quality wins to be had. 

There were......had SMU and FAU won and gone bowling?l.  But your one of the fans that hooray’s it that SMU is sitting at home this year..

So which is it?  Hooray!!!!!! that SMU lost and celebrate our easy SOS????...or boo that SMU lost and cry about our easy SOS?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

15 minutes ago, THOR said:

totally disagree...all north texas fans will give a shit and love the hell out of it...it's our team, our success, i enjoy every bit of it...sorry you don't

No one outside UNT. I'll try to be more specific moving forward. 

Like no one will care about mtsu beating uab this upcoming Saturday for the cusa crown. It doesn't move the needle outside of CUSA campuses. And even then, most students don't really care...Or cusa and many of our HUGE university enrollments and alum base would be cramming into our tiny stadiums across the conference. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 8

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No one outside UNT. I'll try to be more specific moving forward. 

Like no one will care about mtsu beating uab this upcoming Saturday for the cusa crown. It doesn't move the needle outside of CUSA campuses. And even then, most students don't really care...Or cusa and many of our HUGE university enrollments and alum base would be cramming into our tiny stadiums across the conference. 

What a miserable post.  It’s gonna be a looooong offseason for some of us.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Some of you seem to believe that NT can pick their conference.   CUSA is a big improvement over the Belt despite what ratings state about one sport in one year. 

Despite some views, NT is not too good for CUSA.  I don't remember NT dominating anything in this league other than woman's soccer.  

My main objective to CUSA is it is too widespread and the MWC would be much worse.  The only real step up is to a P5 and that will take a major shakeup for there to even be a chance.   Look at UH and Central Fla; two much more successful programs that can't make that happen.  

NT after many years of doing as little as possible to stay afloat in D1, is actually substantially increasing their investment in the program.  That and making good hiring decisions is about all a program can do to elevate their status.  

Wasn’t it decided by many on GMG.com after the original CUSA (basically) blended into the AAC that what was left of the present CUSA is what we are now in—a glorified SBC 2.0 with a bunch of 30,000 seat stadiums & start-ups galore?🤢 

UH (who I followed closely as a fan since 1960) & before transferring to North Texas in 1972; anyhow UH has not made what I’d call a real oganized  effort to get into P5 other than (1) Here we are with our new 40,000 seat stadium & (2) we beat OU at formerly Reliant Stadium so knock yourselves out now & bring us in, P5 group!  (Uh, not).

I think only way schools like UH, UNT, BYU & others have a prayer for P5 is to organize & request to go in as group of Indy’s who play each other every season (as Indy’s ) or as an actual conference with some top-notch corporate lawyers that threaten the NCAA, CBS, ABC, ESPN, etc.with a monopoly-breaking lawsuit.  Not sure outside of doing something similar to that how any G5 school breaks into the P5 country club (closed) membership.  

⁉️ QUESTION IS:  What present G5 AD who wants a future as a P5 AD would lead the way in such a venture as the aforementioned?  That is why Presidents & their BOR’s would have to lead this parade.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

There are some on this board who actually know their shit from their oatmeal.  The ones who don't)  need to graduate &  go to work for the goverment where they'd most likely be comfortable or........

To work for the government you need to be able to form coherent thoughts so I understand why you’re so bitter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

Perspective: Fan expectations outpace reality.

9-3 with wins over SMU & Arkansas is an awesome season!  It sucks that we haven't one a "big" game yet, but that's what this upcoming bowl game is about.

Littrell and Company have this squad a step a head of where any other rebuild would be.  A normal rebuild would be stop the bleeding in year 1, shoot for .500 in year 2, get to a bowl in year 3.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because regardless of what kind of success we may or may not have, our program and programs like ours are currently in an unsuatainable format to hold serve for continuing years. The fall of attendance and tv money paired with the rise of salaries and facility costs is not a formula we can maneuver through and hope for sustainability. That's why it matters. 

This hits the nail on the head. Plus, I thought merging CUSA WEST with SUN BELT WEST would be a positive for reducing costs and increasing fan interest. I guess the genius who decided to merge Sears with K-Mart thought the same.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know the answer to conference affiliation. I like the idea of MWC affiliation but we've tried the western Avenue approach before, Big West, and it didn't work out. Plus I was able to attend 2 away games this year and doubt I could go west to see MWC away games. Not a easy solution.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

What a miserable post.  It’s gonna be a looooong offseason for some of us.

Rick

Yes, it's miserable. I agree. Only because it's true. ESPN will be cringing for 3 hours on Saturday while our conference's CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is aired, and rightfully so. It's only a matter of time until that carpet is ripped out from under us too. We'll be Facebook streaming an FBS conference championship game in the very near future and no one seems to care. Just want to argue with the reality of it it seems. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

I have said this many times that independence will be back in vogue after the Big XII goes away and the private schools with money will look at the BYU model to look and see if they can make this work as a way to be “included” still as a power team. Same thing could happen for your bigger AAC and MWC programs. 

Back in the day, UH, Louisville, Cincy, Miami, FSU, Penn State, Pitt, South Carolina, Syracuse, and Boston college were all football independents along with Notre Dame. Today, it’s basically just ND and BYU at that level. 

As with all things, it’ll come down to budgets and spending. I’d love to think we could figure out a way to do it, but it’d be a very different path forward. 

One thing is certain—the Power leagues aren’t expanding anytime. They’ll get smaller. Teams like UH, UCF, USF, Memphis, Boise State, and Cincy have already seen that they cannot do anything to make the Power leagues take them in. Those schools have made it clear they aren’t sharing the money from their network deals any more. Louisville got the last spot on the gravy train.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I disagree Jim.

The independents are Army, Norte Dame, BYU, UMass, Liberty and New Mexico St 

Notre Dam and Army are the only teams to finish with a winning record, 12-0 and 9-2.

BYU finished at 6-6, and until I looked it up I had no idea what BYU’s Record was.  That is because unlike Notre Dame they do not have a major network in their back pocket to showcase them.  And they have no conference affiliation either.

So until they money whip a better record or buy national media to hype themselves they’ll remain nearly invisible.  

Worst decision ever by them to go Indy IMO.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I disagree Jim.

The independents are Army, Norte Dame, BYU, UMass, Liberty and New Mexico St 

Notre Dame is the only team to finish with a winning record, 12-0.

BYU finished at 6-6, and until I looked it up I had no idea what BYU’s Record was.  That is because unlike Notre Dame they do not have a major network in their back pocket to showcase them.  And they have no conference affiliation either.

So until they money whip a better record or buy national media to hype themselves they’ll remain nearly invisible.  

Worst decision ever by them to go Indy IMO.

Rick

They were on national tv 2 nights ago vs a top25 team. 

Once BYU get a back to 8 and 9 wins you will see them more because they dictate their schedule and will be marquee games once THEY get better. Their schedule is great. Next year they host Utah, USC, Washington, and Boise while traveling to Tennessee, Toledo, USF, and SDSU. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They were on national tv 2 nights ago vs a top25 team. 

Good to know because it wasn’t on the three tv’s that we’re on where I was at.  And if they are hosting that home schedule then they obviously have the money to money whip themselves into the spot light.

They can afford it.  Most schools can’t.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Good to know because it wasn’t on the three tv’s that we’re on where I was at.  And if they are hosting that home schedule then they obviously have the money to money whip themselves into the spot light.

They can afford it.  Most schools can’t.

Rick

No..it's nothing to do with money. They aren't paying those schools a dime. And if they were still a MWC team they wouldn't have the room to make this schedule or the prowess to bring in some of those names. They made an executive decision to pull out of the MWC when they had a great coach in Mendenhall at the helm and never looked back. It was a GOOD decision and they are now kinda grouped into that P5 group because of the timing of their MWC withdraw, paired with timely success, and a great AD pulling the right scheduling strings in the background. 

• Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No..it's nothing to do with money. They aren't paying those schools a dime. And if they were still a MWC team they wouldn't have the room to make this schedule or the prowess to bring in some of those names. They made an executive decision to pull out of the MWC when they had a great coach in Mendenhall at the helm and never looked back. It was a GOOD decision and they are now kinda grouped into that P5 group because of the timing of their MWC withdraw, paired with timely success, and a great AD pulling the right scheduling strings in the background. 

I guess if having to play the likes of McNeese St,  Liberty,  Idaho St or North Alabama just to get to 6-6 and a chance at some hardware every year is your thing..... then yeah....that’s a fantastic approach.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick