9 Wins and disappointing

El Paso Eagle

44 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Who would have thought UNT fans would be unhappy for a nine-win season. I remember the days I was hoping for 500 seasons and that was not so long ago. We need to enjoy these wins, yes we lost to some teams we should have won but look at CUSA yesterday.  It was a crazy weekend. But that is what makes college football great. Sure we can be better and I think the best is still in front of us.

Expectations are pointing higher these days it seems.

18 hours ago, Talon90 said:

Barely beating UTEP and losing to ODU should have warned us about the rest of the season.  FAU win was a good win but they lost to Charlotte today😣.  UAB gets smoked by MUTS and La Tech gets drilled by WKU.  SMU, ARK and Liberty all finish with losing records.  This was the easiest schedule in the history of our program and we didn't take full advantage of it.  We were the better team in every matchup this year but we drastically underperformed the second half of the season.  Is this better than where we were 3 years ago, absolutely but we should be better than where we are right now.  That's the disappointment.

Still sorta’ suggests that we need about 3 consecutive years of 3 star-inundated recruiting classes to compete for a CUSA Championship, now doesn’t it?

⁉️ 2 years ago UTSA’s Frank Wilson had 17 “3 star” recruits in his haul.  Were we seeing some of the results of that last night ?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

For all those who are complaining about 9-3

we are 4 plays from being undefeated

1. Blocked field goal to win vs La tech

2. Fumble on the 3 yd line for go ahead TD vs UAB

3-4 fake field goal/missed tackle vs ODU

I am thrilled at this season  next year we will dominate  we have most of our team back  we did this with mostly underclassmen

I can live with losses to La. Tech and UAB because you are correct, we could have won both on the bounce of the ball. But blowing a 28 point lead against ODU is still hard to take.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

16 hours ago, wardly said:

I can live with losses to La. Tech and UAB because you are correct, we could have won both on the bounce of the ball. But blowing a 28 point lead against ODU is still hard to take.

Agreed. What happened against LaTech and UAB is absolutely understandable - when the best teams in the division play, someone has to lose, and it usually comes down to mistakes or outstanding play. 

It's what happened at ODU, and what nearly happened against the sub-basement UTs which is a problem. UT-New Mexico and UT-Incarnate Word should not have been anywhere near close.

• Upvote 2

No team doesn't have off games.   Unless your team has vastly superior athletics that is going to lead to loses.  

Based on recruiting rankings, NT is substantially over performing; that points to excellent coaching.  

Just for perspective, 247 rankings for NT classes 

2018  CUSA 9, Ntl 102

2017 CUSA 11, Ntl 115

2016 CUSA 8, Ntl 102

2015 CUSA 6, Ntl 94

Recruiting rankings are statistically valid overall, but miss badly on an individual basis.   Obviously, no one thought Fine was going to contribute to any college program much less turn out to be arguably the best player in the conference.  

Coaching gets a lot of the credit, but Baker, the President and the BOR should also be recognized as NT has just become a much more attractive destination for recruits. 

9-3 as historically good as that record is, should not be a ceiling for this program going forward.  

• Lovely Take 2

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Harry said:

Expectations are pointing higher these days it seems.

….and the amount of giving is going up as well. And the people who have given some of the biggest gifts of late have been around for quite a long time. Could it be that a commitment to running a first class program is somehow related? I know that if I were a multi-millionaire I would never have turned over a million dollar gift to the previous athletic administration.

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

….and the amount of giving is going up as well. And the people who have given some of the biggest gifts of late have been around for quite a long time. Could it be that a commitment to running a first class program is somehow related? I know that if I were a multi-millionaire I would never have turned over a million dollar gift to the previous athletic administration.

True, but it didn't keep you from kicking an offensive coordinator's ass!

• Ray 1