9 Wins and disappointing

El Paso Eagle

1 minute ago, meanrob said:

Also, all day I watched teams bring in running QBs for short yardage situations. We never do (even though we have a running QB that gets yards) and it couldn't be any worse than what we run and fail at time after time. 

I can agree with this 100%.  No reason QS isn't getting a handful of snaps each game.

Glad we won tonight. And, glad we have 9 wins again. But, anyone that wants to ignore the fact that this offense has issues, and overlook the fact that we've only beaten 1 FBS team with a winning record, just has their head in the sand. Until the majority of our fan base agrees we have a problem, I doubt there will not be enough pressure to get it fixed, and we will continue to struggle for long stretches of games against weak competition.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Also, all day I watched teams bring in running QBs for short yardage situations. We never do (even though we have a running QB that gets yards) and it couldn't be any worse than what we run and fail at time after time. 

Great point.  I would like to know what our 4th down success ratio is when it is 4th and < 2.   It has to be < 25%. 

16 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Glad we won tonight. And, glad we have 9 wins again. But, anyone that wants to ignore the fact that this offense has issues, and overlook the fact that we've only beaten 1 FBS team with a winning record, just has their head in the sand. Until the majority of our fan base agrees we have a problem, I doubt there will not be enough pressure to get it fixed, and we will continue to struggle for long stretches of games against weak competition.

Will have to get another big back like Wilson or Loren to get us thru small yardage.

• Confused 1

Just considering the regular season records, we over-achieved last year.  Given the talent, experience and schedule, I think it's fair to say we under-achieved this season.  Not horribly mind you, but under-achieved none the less.  Looking back, we could be sitting at 12-0, but that's why they play the games.  If we can put it all together and win our bowl game, then we'll end with double-digit wins for the year which would be a significant milestone for the program.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3

9 and 3 is nice but changes are needed to get to the next level.  Offensive play calling comes to mind.  Lowly Rice smoked ODU today.  How the living hell does our offense only put up 24 points after being up 17 zip in the first half. This is a problem and will show its ugly face again in a few weeks in a bowl game.  UTSA was doing good to field a team tonight and took us to the wire.  This needs to be fixed!  We won all statistics except the one INT.  Dismal!  Expectations have changed and I am greatfull,  but something is wrong....Real wrong.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, meangreenlax said:
  1. 9 wins is something to be proud of.
  2. This is the most mediocre 9 win team I've ever seen.

The season is over and I still can't figure this team out...

Exactly. I am so glad to have 9 wins and at the same time feel it was a wasted opportunity to make a national splash. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

10 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

Barely beating UTEP and losing to ODU should have warned us about the rest of the season.  FAU win was a good win but they lost to Charlotte today😣.  UAB gets smoked by MUTS and La Tech gets drilled by WKU.  SMU, ARK and Liberty all finish with losing records.  This was the easiest schedule in the history of our program and we didn't take full advantage of it.  We were the better team in every matchup this year but we drastically underperformed the second half of the season.  Is this better than where we were 3 years ago, absolutely but we should be better than where we are right now.  That's the disappointment.

Scary thing is while yes we get everyone back on offense (that’s SUPPOSED to be a good thing) we lose all our top players on defense. And we go on the road to La Tech, USM and SMU. We could get FIU and MTSU in the crossover games. And we get a tough Cal team for the P5 game and will more than likely be home underdogs to UH. On paper the schedule is MUCH tougher next year. The coaching is going to have to improve.

What could’ve been this year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

Scary thing is while yes we get everyone back on offense (that’s SUPPOSED to be a good thing) we lose all our top players on defense. And we go on the road to La Tech, USM and SMU. We could get FIU and MTSU in the crossover games. And we get a tough Cal team for the P5 game and will more than likely be home underdogs to UH. On paper the schedule is MUCH tougher next year. The coaching is going to have to improve.

What could’ve been this year. 

If the coaching does not improve all around, we could easily be looking at a sub .500 season

• Confused 1

Just now, meangreenlax said:

If the coaching does not improve all around, we could easily be looking at a sub .500 season

I am optimistic, but unfortunately you are correct. SMU, SoMiss, LaTech, Cal, UAB, and our likely eastern division opponents could all be losses. 

IMO, Reffet will have his hands full. The D will dictate next season.

• Upvote 2