‘20 WR Chris Carpenter - Jacksonville

97and03

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I hope after much consideration that he realizes your first instinct is usually your best. If he doesn’t, then I trust our staff to find the right replacement. 

This.

I will never shame a young man for changing his mind or wanting to press pause on making a decision at this stage of the process.  I also don't fault 2019 de-commit Garrison Johnson for his decision but it's much better for all involved to have Carpenter be open about his second thoughts than it was when Johnson made his feelings known so late in the game.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

This.

I will never shame a young man for changing his mind or wanting to press pause on making a decision at this stage of the process.  I also don't fault 2019 de-commit Garrison Johnson for his decision but it's much better for all involved to have Carpenter be open about his second thoughts than it was when Johnson made his feelings known so late in the game.

Difference between those two is Carpenter’s recruitment blew up after he committed. Johnson never officially received another offer after he committed to us and ended up going to play where his high school coach is at. Hope we can convince Carpenter to re-commit but even if we don’t we are stacked at receiver for the future.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Probably, but that would have nothing to do with this guy de-committing in March when signing day isnt until December.

It was more of a general recruiting question that i should have posted somewhere else. 

Are we telling guys hey we are done in December either all aboard or get left at the station? 

Or are we gonna wait for some slips through the cracks?

4 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

It was more of a general recruiting question that i should have posted somewhere else. 

Are we telling guys hey we are done in December either all aboard or get left at the station? 

Or are we gonna wait for some slips through the cracks?

That appears to be what Littrell told Johnson this past cycle.    I don't know if that's a Littrell directive or if this is a Walerius tactic.   Either way, we didn't sign anyone during the February (normal signing) cycle because our class was already full.

I can see his point.  He got excited when we offered, then schools from the P5's started showing interest.  I guess it boils down to whether you would like to go somewhere and be one of many, or take a shot on an up and coming program and be one that sets the benchmark.  Where ever you go, the NFL will find  you.  The leading receivers in the NFL didn't all come from "big" programs.  For instance:

Antonio Brown (Central Michigan)

TY Hilton (FIU)

Adam Thielen (University of Minnesota - Mankato)

There are many more out there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I can see his point.  He got excited when we offered, then schools from the P5's started showing interest.  I guess it boils down to whether you would like to go somewhere and be one of many, or take a shot on an up and coming program and be one that sets the benchmark.  Where ever you go, the NFL will find  you.  The leading receivers in the NFL didn't all come from "big" programs.  For instance:

Antonio Brown (Central Michigan)

TY Hilton (FIU)

Adam Thielen (University of Minnesota - Mankato)

There are many more out there.

Like North Texas?   I mean, any Air Raid Offense is going to have a ton of WRs.

• Eye Roll 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting choice... go to Colorado and get your butt kicked on a regular basis where no family can come see you play or go to North Texas and win where your family can drive to nearly every game.

My grandmother would say not to let your eyes get bigger than your stomach.  

Same can be said for P5.

He will be in the transfer portal soon enough.

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, UNT86 said:

Interesting choice... go to Colorado and get your butt kicked on a regular basis where no family can come see you play or go to North Texas and win where your family can drive to nearly every game.

Same can be said for P5.

Colorado is beautiful. Nothing like Lawrence, KA, Ames, IA, or Waco, TX.

• Downvote 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, UNT86 said:

Same can be said for P5.

Yup. 

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Sure, Colorado is beautiful. But, that means nothing. He's not a 42 year old liberal-arts photographer. He's a football player that I am assuming is trying to make the best decision to get him to the "next level". Well, is Colorado that best choice? No. That's the short answer. The long answer is that there are about 5 schools on his offer list that would afford him a better opportunity for his future. And nice views aren't going to pay his future bills 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Except that his conference games will be in Berkeley, Pullman, Los Angeles, and Eugene. Much nicer than the Big12 locations you named. 

51 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Except that his conference games will be in Berkeley, Pullman, Los Angeles, and Eugene. Much nicer than the Big12 locations you named. 

You are correct. I was merely saying that there are many doormat programs (KU, Iowa St, etc), Colorado is the more appealing one for reasons other than football.

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

You are correct. I was merely saying that there are many doormat programs (KU, Iowa St, etc), Colorado is the more appealing one for reasons other than football.

I misunderstood and thought you had forgotten they had switched conferences. Apologies