DRC: Fine vows to return for senior season after pondering transferring

Brett Vito

20 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

When the  North Texas fan base is  regularly showing up in the upper 20's or sell-out levels, and in doing so,  providing the fan energy (like B-12 fan bases) that a close game demands, then we can be more critical of the outcomes of these championship-type games. 

FAU crushed us twice last season and had like 3,000 people watch. Troy did the same to us in the bowl. La Tech beat us on the road. UAB did it in front of a small crowd. ODU embarrassed us in front of a small crowd. What's UNT's excuse? Fan support? Come on. UNT is getting better support than most CUSA teams. Somehow we have 24 conference championships and did so with terrible turnout historically. The current team doesn't play 4 quarters and that has nothing to do with fans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Time to let this go. Mason has issued his statement and, for me, has put this little “controversy” to bed. Never to be mentioned again.  I am sure he learned a bit about “words, their meanings and their consequences” and how to better respond to potential “mine field” media questions. I take his statement at face value and appreciate his honesty.  Am certain he got a little help, as so he should have, in crafting his response.  If so, good for him. A little “learning episode” here.

Thanks to Mason for “owning this” and dealing with it in a professional and respectful manner.  Time to move along and go back to considering the UTSA game and the Mean Green’s bowl game.  And, of course, how grateful we are that this young man is the Mean Green’s QB.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 5

19 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Did Brett Vito ask this question based on a rumor from a message board?

Does anyone know *exactly* what question was asked?  Also, who asked the question in the first place?  Does anyone know?

If the question was, "Are you transferring to another school for your last year of eligibility?" then that is a legitimate question seeking a factual answer and could have simply been answered with a "No." 

If the question was "Have you ever *thought* about transferring to another school?" then that is just some weak-ass question that is nothing more than gotcha journalism at its finest.  

I bet if you asked every college football player in the country if they ever *thought* about transferring and they were honest, probably 99+% of them would say yes.  Knowing this and knowing the type of person Mr. Fine is (always willing to talk with the media, honest, forthright, doesn't hide anything, etc.), then asking the him that second question was nothing more than a trap to create a story out of nothing.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, forevereagle said:

I don't think that Russell Wilson was fighting to be a starter at NCST.

Wilson wanted to play pro baseball in the off-season instead of doing football workouts. This pissed off the NC State coach who threatened to name Mike Glennon (future NFL journeyman) as the starter. Wilson got mad and transferred. 

• Upvote 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I love North Texas <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MeanGreenFamily?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MeanGreenFamily</a> <a href="https://t.co/R2aS9gZEl0">pic.twitter.com/R2aS9gZEl0</a></p>&mdash; Mason Fine (@Masonfine09) <a href="https://twitter.com/Masonfine09/status/1065312786765541376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 21, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Time to let this go. Mason has issued his statement and, for me, has put this little “controversy” to bed. Never to be mentioned again.  I am sure he learned a bit about “words, their meanings and their consequences” and how to better respond to potential “mine field” media questions. I take his statement at face value and appreciate his honesty.  Am certain he got a little help, as so he should have, in crafting his response.  If so, good for him. A little “learning episode” here.

Thanks to Mason for “owning this” and dealing with it in a professional and respectful manner.  Time to move along and go back to considering the UTSA game and the Mean Green’s bowl game.  And, of course, how grateful we are that this young man is the Mean Green’s QB.

I don't get this at all.  Welcome to journalism in the 21st century, the modern day mine field where destroying people is our passion.  The media thinks it needs to "teach people a lesson" and put them in their place?  Why does Mr. Fine have to own anything.  He answered a question.  Screw journalists.  If any lesson is to be learned here it's to answer every question with "no comment" and walk away.  Have fun writing your column if everyone did that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GreenBacker said:

I knew I was right. I knew he cared for this University and was grateful for the opportunity to play football here. Brett Vito wrote this article to get more traffic and by God if it didn't work. Brett should be ashamed of misleading the readers. That's why people believe it when the President says "fake news." This type of journalism is just bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Love to see Littrell make the same statement but his silence speaks volumes.

I believe He was asked a few weeks ago and he gave the “I love it here and I’m focused on our goals”

And I’m gonna guess taking another job has “crossed his mind”

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Still want to believe what you want to believe @KRAM1?    Here it is directly from the horse’s mouth.

Sad truth is, he should never have had to post this, but someone (who’s better than this, honestly) saw an opportunity & took it... completely throwing a Mean Green legend under the bus & leaving him there to get run over by myriads of fans that were intentionally misled.

Yep...heard him say he considered transferring....what part of that is hard for you to understand....he confirmed it here. Soooooo, yep. I think I’m good. You can read it anyway you want. You might also want to go back and actually read what I have said instead of trying to make this some sort of personal vendetta. 

He made a mistake in how he answered the question. He knows it...he has learned from it. I stand by everything I have said which was spelled out pretty well I think. Time to move along...as I also said. Why you seem to want to carry this on is puzzling.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Love to see Littrell make the same statement but his silence speaks volumes.

Do you all not remember his quote about being happy at UNT and in Denton?  If he responded to every person's speculation about his future employment on here, he wouldn't have he energy to coach this team. 

41 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Yep...heard him say he considered transferring....what part of that is hard for you to understand....he confirmed it here. Soooooo, yep. I think I’m good. You can read it anyway you want. You might also want to go back and actually read what I have said instead of trying to make this some sort of personal vendetta. 

He made a mistake in how he answered the question. He knows it...he has learned from it. I stand by everything I have said which was spelled out pretty well I think. Time to move along...as I also said. Why you seem to want to carry this on is puzzling.

We all love Mason Fine and what he has achieved at UNT. We want him to be one of us and only the Mean Green Family forever. We don't want to share him with another school. That's why many of us are concerned and upset. BUT, weighing the "pros and cons" is far more intense than "it crossed my mind."  So, I believe Kram is probably correct here.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Much ado about nothing!

Not necessarily true. Unfortunately, it cast a little shadow over comments Mason has made over the last three years about it not being about him but about the team and the program and what they were building in Denton. I have nothing but total respect for Mason Fine as a player and individual. I just hope he is happy here and doesn't feel stuck here because he made a commitment and his character is such that he will honor that commitment, pros and cons, knowing full well, as we all do, that he can play at the P5 level.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1