DRC: Fine vows to return for senior season after pondering transferring

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

He most certainly did! Saw the video clip...heard him say he considered transferring. Confirmed by Mason himself on the video. So, yep...he did.

where is the video?

Vito put quotation marks around "it crossed my mind" which generally indicates a quote.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

6 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

where is the video?

I saw it on Facebook posted by the athletic dept as one of the Post-game or mid-week interviews.  Mason confirmed it himself. So, those saying Vito made it up or “suckered” anyone are simply mistaken. 

This should never have been mentioned by Mason if he had already made up his mind to stay. Simply use the old “no comment” or answer more like I suggested in an earlier post.

I think I am done with this topic. I have said my peace and will move along understanding that my sense of loyalty, gratitude and respect is just “old school” these days. And, cheer for Mason and the Mean Green to beat UTSA, win a bowl game and have a great “next year”. He’s our guy and I support him and the rest of the Mean Green 100%.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I saw it on Facebook posted by the athletic dept as one of the Post-game or mid-week interviews.  Mason confirmed it himself. So, those saying Vito made it up or “suckered” anyone are simply mistaken. 

This should never have been mentioned by Mason if he had already made up his mind to stay. Simply use the old “no comment” or answer more like I suggested in an earlier post.

I think I am done with this topic. I have said my peace and will move along understanding that my sense of loyalty, gratitude and respect is just “old school” these days. And, cheer for Mason and the Mean Green to beat UTSA, win a bowl game and have a great “next year”. He’s our guy and I support him and the rest of the Mean Green 100%.

I saw the facebook clip of the mid week interview from the athletic dept. (posted below) He didn't say one word about transferring.

And...why the hell would the athletic dept post a clip of an interview where their star player says he considered transferring.

So either I missed it, I'm looking at the wrong one (certainly a possibility) or your imagination is wild.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meangreen2016 said:

“It crossed my mind... I want to play all 4 years here...this is home”. Stop freaking out y’all. That’s an encouraging statement. He chose to stick around, he wants to be at UNT. Heck, if I took the beating he has the past 3 years I’d consider finding a school with a better protection/offensive line too! Dude has worked his butt off for this school. No reason to turn on him. 

I like that response, meangreen2016.

Still sad to me that our favorite school still has the “BEWARE! LEPROSY!” sign on our foreheads  because a school with almost 40,000 students in a huge population center with the added luxury of just over a quarter million alums within 1 hour of Apogee does not officially start looking for a way to find a better NCAA classification.  

⁉️⁉️ Don’t know the timeline when Mason briefly entertained the transfer thing, but might his being drop-kicked from being in the Davey O’Brien Award final 3 after having won its first wave of voting have played some part in this?  

GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Still want to believe what you want to believe @KRAM1?    Here it is directly from the horse’s mouth.

Sad truth is, he should never have had to post this, but someone (who’s better than this, honestly) saw an opportunity & took it... completely throwing a Mean Green legend under the bus & leaving him there to get run over by myriads of fans that were intentionally misled.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

The real question you should consider is not his records or your expectations of fans but when is the last time Fine or anyone else out on that field won when it counted? Records are swell. Beating beatable opponents when it matters, Conference championships or a bowl win? Not so much.

I want to see this team exel. Good season but not great. The fans are showing up. That's their job, not reaching potential.  That's the job of coaches, players, and the athletic department. 

When the  North Texas fan base is  regularly showing up in the upper 20's or sell-out levels, and in doing so,  providing the fan energy (like B-12 fan bases) that a close game demands, then we can be more critical of the outcomes of these championship-type games. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

KRAM is passionate.  I love passionate fans. FWIW...This thing initially set us all back on our heels.  It is now resolved as far as I’m concerned.  

BEAT UTSA!  

Except some were able to see right through the BS right away...

And yes, Kram1 is an awesome fan.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Well....to answer the question of "How many games did he play in front of 30.5K screaming UNT fans" He pretty much played in two of them. And his record book is not the only one being re-written. We broke the all time attendance record last year and then turned around and broke that record this year. In other words, we've never had as many in attendance for a UNT football season in the 100+ year history of the program as we did this year. (In I'll add..an era where attendance is going down across the nation) I'm going to say with Houston coming in next year, we'll push the attendance record again.

I guess we haven't reached our potential (which is what, to sell out every game?) But I think you would agree we're getting here fast...

Mason Fine is 5-11 (more like 5-10) and 180lbs, and takes a tremendous beating on any given Saturday whilst living up to his potential...…..actually he's greatly exceeding it. The metroplex North Texas alumni base is guesstimated to be anywhere from 150K to over 200K. And all we have to do is regularly fill up a 30K football stadium that is considered one of the best in the metroplex.  And we consider an average of around 18K progress?

IMHO, we are still greatly underachieving. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Mason Fine is 5-11 (more like 5-10) and 180lbs, and takes a tremendous beating on any given Saturday whilst living up to his potential...…..actually he's greatly exceeding it. The metroplex North Texas alumni base is guesstimated to be anywhere from 150K to over 200K. And all we have to do is regularly fill up a 30K football stadium that is considered one of the best in the metroplex.  And we consider an average of around 18K progress?

IMHO, we are still greatly underachieving. 

I get your point.

However by the very definition of "progress" yes, our attendance this year progressed from last year and the year before.

It's not a question of are we progressing or not....because obviously we are. The question is are we progressing fast enough? That's a very subjective question...I guess it depends on your own view of the program.

• Upvote 2