DRC: Fine vows to return for senior season after pondering transferring

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I assume he is in position to graduate early, so he could transfer with immediate eligibility.

This was going to be my question too?  

And I agree with many others in that it’s tough to tell anything at all without context  to the question? 

So I’ll just consider the source, .....roll my 👀  and move on.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

That’s right. I am confident we will survive once Littrell moves on and at some point mason is not going to run out of the tunnel.

I think it would be shortsighted to leave when he commands this offense and can carve out his stats in Apogee. You need playing time and the pros want consistency.  His best shot at that is in Denton with this team. He can have a banner year again in Denton and get noticed. 

I love Littrell but he’s young and climbing the ladder as fast as he can is his thing. I get it I did it too. I wish I would have stopped to enjoy the roses a bit more where planted but I was young and eager. Either way great memories great accomplishments. Littrell and mason have laid the foundation. With Wren and Dr S. It is strong and poised nicely for the future.

beat utsa 

GMG

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gets it.

Pay attention people.

It’s part of what we love about Fine: his candor.   We can’t hate him for having a fleeting thought & casually mentioning it when asked.  With what he said to reaffirm his love for NT, this shouldn’t be a story at all...

The headline was absolutely inflammatory though.  Now he’s going to have to answer all kinds of additional questions about it.  & deal with fans who cannot discern what was said & why due to how it was framed.

Vito likely put himself at the top of Fine’s s*** list.

cuomo-lemon-1-e1541000002393r.png.3cbaf7515d36d81c646c539ff040fca2.png

Yellow journalism seems to live in Denton, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

maybe Mason wanted to see what it would be like to have O-Line that blocks for him so he is not fearing for his life every play, maybe he is getting older and does not have the stamina to run 25-30 yds every play while a 265 lb DE is chasing him ready to level him. 

Either way Vito is a t**t Waffle for even bringing it up now. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He's gotten enough attention doing what he's doing at UNT. If he's going to the NFL, transferring won't help him. Either he can drop a dime in the corner of the endzone and hit a receiver in the hands on a 15 yard out or he can't.

And he can.

I just HATE the way the media does this....(Unless I'm missing something that wasn't reported) Mason Fine's words were "it crossed my mind" because obviously if someone brought it up it naturally would. But Vito takes that and turns it into Fine "briefly considered" transferring. That suggests so much more. And Vito knows it...it's why he wrote that.

F'ing media. They're all the same. Fine's only mistake was he answered honestly. And Vito turned it into so much more. And this is going to turn into more. And there's nothing to it.

This is why athletes don't give any substance or answer questions honestly....

He should've just said: "I just want to give 110% and by golly win some games" over and over....

Why F'ing media?  It's a reporters job to report a factual story.  It's our job to measure our reaction to the story.  People always seem to misunderstand this principle.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, untbowler said:

maybe Mason wanted to see what it would be like to have O-Line that blocks for him so he is not fearing for his life every play, maybe he is getting older and does not have the stamina to run 25-30 yds every play while a 265 lb DE is chasing him ready to level him. 

Either way Vito is a t**t Waffle for even bringing it up now. 

Ya but he is the beat writer for the team and probably has more inside information than we do. But why in the hell would you out this story out at the end of the season is beyond me. 

50 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Why F'ing media?  It's a reporters job to report a factual story.  It's our job to measure our reaction to the story.  People always seem to misunderstand this principle.  

Vito’s words were misleading. 

Having something “cross your mind” (Fines actual words) and actually “considering” it (Vito’s addition) are two very different things. He didn’t report facts. He twisted Fine’s words and suggested Fine was more serious about it than he was. Then he goes on twitter and adds more of his own opinion as to Why Fine would “consider it” (which he never said he did)

If someone asked me one time what I wanted to do with my life. It would cross my mind that I would quit my job and move to the beach and sell coconuts. But I would never consider it. 

See how that works?

but I’m gonna guess his article will get loads of clicks. That’s the goal for the media today anyway. 

So you’re wrong. He didn’t report facts. He twisted words. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I wish more UNT fans would realize that UNT can win without Fine and Littrell. We have a good administration in place and we have inherent advantages over our CUSA West peers (i.e. Recruiting base, alumni base, facilities, tier-one research university, etc.). 

These aren’t the RV days. If Littrell leaves we have a good AD who can make another good hire. And that coach can find another QB who can put up good numbers. Fine is not the only QB capable of putting up modern-day QB stats at North Texas.

We will move on when Mason graduates and Litterll moves towards his dream job.   We are a stepping stone for college coaches. I hope Littrell is here next season.   But you are right we will move on when both are gone.   However, I doubt we find another quarterback that can do what Mason has done for a long time.  We got Mason here because the other programs overlooked him due to his height.  I trust Wren and our president to keep the ball rolling and I hope we can do what Boise State has done.  When on coach leaves one fills in right behind him and we don't end up with a has been coach.

I think it would take a pretty unique situation to get Mason to grad transfer. It would have to be a national title contender. And how many of those are there, really?

Maybe Kyler Murray goes to play baseball and Austin Kendall tears his ACL this spring? 

Most national title contenders have 4 or 5 star QBs with multiple seasons of eligibility left as backups. Even Mason’s original “dream school” of OK State has Spencer Sanders in line for their QB job. Why would a good P5 prefer one year of Mason Fine to the potential upside of it’s own younger highly-rated QBs.

And why would he transfer to a P5 that doesn’t have a shot to win a national title? He already has a chance to play on TV and on the biggest stages in out of conference games. Heck, even at home games he is playing in front of large crowds. 

Plus, I would guess that he has relationships and loyalty towards teammates here that he would not want to betray. 

Most grad transfers switch schools for more playing time. When Russell Wilson left NC State it was rumored that it was because he had lost the starting job there. 

Also, many grad transfers don’t end up working out. They don’t even end up winning the starting job at their new school. 

I think Mason will finish his career at UNT and always be remembered as an all-time great.

Edited by MeanGreenZen
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Totally agree. Vito asked a question. Fine answered. Fine probably should pay better attention to coach speak. Coaches are great at not answering questions.

However, Vito could have asked a follow up question or elaborated on the original one. If he can graduate this Summer then it changes the entire question and answer. The way it was written, plus the title, could have been executed better. Vito did his job, Fine needs to learn from this. 

If you're wife asks you if she looks fat in an outfit, you don't say yes...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

“It crossed my mind... I want to play all 4 years here...this is home”. Stop freaking out y’all. That’s an encouraging statement. He chose to stick around, he wants to be at UNT. Heck, if I took the beating he has the past 3 years I’d consider finding a school with a better protection/offensive line too! Dude has worked his butt off for this school. No reason to turn on him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

MG Fans: "I want to be good at football, I don't care what it costs!"

Also MG Fans: "My successful coach and QB might maybe possibly use their success here to go elsewhere. I AM NOW VERY ANGRY AND DO NOT APPROVE!" 

Sometime success has side effects that may not be fun, but we have to deal with it. Still, this seems like a non story to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

MG Fans: "I want to be good at football, I don't care what it costs!"

Also MG Fans: "My successful coach and QB might maybe possibly use their success here to go elsewhere. I AM NOW VERY ANGRY AND DO NOT APPROVE!" 

Sometime success has side effects that may not be fun, but we have to deal with it. Still, this seems like a non story to me.

You do realize the list of decorated QBs, like Mason, who transferred to another school has like...zero guys on it. It's not going to happen, but it would be the first case of a great G5 player using the new transfer rule to jump to the P5 without punishment. 

• Upvote 1