Maine (11/20/18)

CMJ

26 minutes ago, Wookies said:

I can't prove it, but watching tonight left me with the impression that Grant coached this game differently, especially in the second half. I felt like he wanted this game to tighten up. Lots of different player combinations and far less intensity than he normally shows. Seems like he let the players run their own sets more often than normal. Could this be a teaching moment?....or maybe I'm crazy.

I said something similar during the game.  I was also wondering if he was forcing the inside game to work on it against a weaker opponent, as we were well under our normal 3 point attempts.  I know Maine was trying to take some of that away, but there were plenty of kick outs there if we wanted them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, untcampbell said:

This game will pay dividends over the 2018-2019 season. We needed it.

GMG

I had the same thought, and told those watching the game with me....We were 6 - 0, and largely unchallenged... blowing people out albeit against mostly subpar competition.  The players thought they were invisible... needed to learn that any D-1 team can beat any D-1 team on any given night if one D-1 team doesn't show up.... UNT looked slow and unenergetic... compare the energy and effort of Maine vs Hawaii. No comparison...They were hungry for Hawaii....They looked like a different team last night. I think the Maine game was just what we needed to prepare properly for OU on Tuesday. I know OU is out-of-conference and makes no difference to the goal to be conference champions.... However, this makes a HUGE difference to casual basketball fans, and if they see UNT beat OU, they will determine UNT is legit and start attending UNT games (major attendance boost). Quite frankly, causal basketball fans do not care if we beat Maryland Eastern Shore or Maine or........etc.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

I had the same thought, and told those watching the game with me....We were 6 - 0, and largely unchallenged... blowing people out albeit against mostly subpar competition.  The players thought they were invisible... needed to learn that any D-1 team can beat any D-1 team on any given night if one D-1 team doesn't show up.... UNT looked slow and unenergetic... compare the energy and effort of Maine vs Hawaii. No comparison...They were hungry for Hawaii....They looked like a different team last night. I think the Maine game was just what we needed to prepare properly for OU on Tuesday. I know OU is out-of-conference and makes no difference to the goal to be conference champions.... However, this makes a HUGE difference to casual basketball fans, and if they see UNT beat OU, they will determine UNT is legit and start attending UNT games (major attendance boost). Quite frankly, causal basketball fans do not care if we beat Maryland Eastern Shore or Maine or........etc.

I'm working in OKC next week and will be at the game.  I hope it's a high-energy effort!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Somebody went on a minus one spree in this thread, hit absolutely everybody. Can't be peoples opinions there was little that was contentious anywhere. I think the russians are trying to divide us.

Is Mark T. the inside man? 🤔 haha

Side note: I just got on and had like 40 notifications, but I don’t even see all of them. It’s weird. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2