And The Finalists Are.....

EagleMBA

I don't wish to beat a dead horse, but I want to clarify a point that I tried to make earlier. The following is a quote from the Award's website:

Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award ®
2018 Voting Guidelines

"For the 12th consecutive year, the Davey O'Brien Fan Vote is an integral component of the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award. In 2018, fans are invited to vote for their favorite quarterback once daily at VoteOBrien.org.

The Fan Vote counts as 5% of the process during each round of voting by combining with the results from the Davey O'Brien National Selection Committee. Fans are invited to cast their vote for the nation's best quarterback throughout the entire process, as the Fan Vote totals are cleared after each voting round.

Members of the Selection Committee, which consists of former winners as well as media members throughout the country, are asked to vote for a NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) quarterback who embodies the attributes of football legend Davey O'Brien. As such, they are asked to evaluate each candidate on the criteria of his quarterback skills and athletic ability, academics, character, reputation as a team player, leadership and sportsmanship."

Those three guys must be f'n superstar people if they are ahead of Mason Fine based on an application of the above criteria!

Further affiant sayeth not.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I don't wish to beat a dead horse, but I want to clarify a point that I tried to make earlier. The following is a quote from the Award's website:

Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award ®
2018 Voting Guidelines

"For the 12th consecutive year, the Davey O'Brien Fan Vote is an integral component of the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award. In 2018, fans are invited to vote for their favorite quarterback once daily at VoteOBrien.org.

The Fan Vote counts as 5% of the process during each round of voting by combining with the results from the Davey O'Brien National Selection Committee. Fans are invited to cast their vote for the nation's best quarterback throughout the entire process, as the Fan Vote totals are cleared after each voting round.

Members of the Selection Committee, which consists of former winners as well as media members throughout the country, are asked to vote for a NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) quarterback who embodies the attributes of football legend Davey O'Brien. As such, they are asked to evaluate each candidate on the criteria of his quarterback skills and athletic ability, academics, character, reputation as a team player, leadership and sportsmanship."

Those three guys must be f'n superstar people if they are ahead of Mason Fine based on an application of the above criteria!

Further affiant sayeth not.

Exactly.

As I posted in the vote thread....

Murray built his reputation piling up stats for a high school program that has a pathetic level of advantages over everyone else.

Then he goes to a (still at the time promising) A&M program under Sumlin, where he runs into his first taste of adversity and gets benched and bail’s on his team the week of their bowl game....as well as bailing on his baseball team.  

Then ransfers to the Allen High School version of college where everything once again is running smoothly and all in place for him to take over.  Had things fallen apart at OU he would have bailed there too.

Had he been at UCF in 2015 when they went 0-12 or in 2016 when they went 6-7 he would have bailed and never led them to their amazing 13-0 season as Milton did.  Had he been at 1-11 or 5-7  NT in ‘15 or ‘16 he would have done the same and never seen a 9 win season as Mason Fine has.  

So yeah...let’s honor the spineless  nancy with no character.

I don’t know about the other two candidates but for the namesake of this award I hope Murray doesn’t get it because he doesn’t deserve it.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Why don’t they just say this award is only for P5 conference stars?

Hey!  One (or two) in Dave Campbell’s Texas Football staff called Mason Fine the best gol’ darned goat ropin’ son of a gun QB in the entire Lone  Star State & that’s  good enough for this  sodbuster!  (Insert a Slim Pickens voice-over with the words of the prior sentence). 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I'm missing the TCU correlation to MF being named a finalist for this award? And fan voting is just a way to garner interest on the award and is in fact meaningless. 

Probably something about TCU not wanting to share any DFW spotlight.

I have no idea.  Part of me wants to believe they'd be the opposite.  Their climb from G5 to P5 gives them some perspective and appreciation that the other P5s don't have.

They could take that perspective and fight for the G5s.  Or not, and just say "ef them all.  So glad we don't have to deal with the G5 BS anymore."

Edited by greenminer

On 11/19/2018 at 10:59 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

And fan voting is just a way to garner interest on the award and is in fact meaningless. 

Yep...last time I ever look at that site. Pure BS and a joke. But, they did “hook” us into going to their site over and over and over again. Hits matter in the world of the Internet, right? What a joke. FFR was spot on from the very beginning. We should have listened and totally ignored this joke of an award!

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Yep...last time I ever look at that site. Pure BS and a joke. But, they did “hook” us into going to their site over and over and over again. Hits matter in the world of the Internet, right? What a joke. FFR was spot on from the very beginning. We should have listened and totally ignored this joke of an award!

The award itself is not a joke.   

Fans who believe spending hours voting for a “5%” consideration will actually accomplish something are though.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

The award itself is not a joke.   

Fans who believe spending hours voting for a “5%” consideration will actually accomplish something are though.

Again...I stand by my words. It is a joke of an award.  Either you award the “best” considering all playing levels or re-set the criteria and limit to certain levels. Either the fan vote counts for something or do away with it entirely. As it is, the award is a joke. 

• Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Again...I stand by my words. It is a joke of an award.  Either you award the “best” considering all playing levels or re-set the criteria and limit to certain levels. Either the fan vote counts for something or do away with it entirely. As it is, the award is a joke. 

Look at the stats of the 3 finalists.   Look at their team’s rankings.   They are the best.  The selection Committee got it right & I highly doubt you’d get much argument from Fine or Milton.

And it was widely known the fan vote was for a whopping 5% consideration... which is useless.  But for some reason, many here thought they were influencing something.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Look at the stats of the 3 finalists.   Look at their team’s rankings.   They are the best.  The selection Committee got it right & I highly doubt you’d get much argument from Fine or Milton.

And it was widely known the fan vote was for a whopping 5% consideration... which is useless.  But for some reason, many here thought they were influencing something.

Don’t care to debate this with you. You are free to your opinion...As I am free to have mine. Mine says it is a JOKE of an award based on the current criteria and fake “fan vote”. Eliminate the fake fan vote and re-set the criteria so “big school only” players qualify and maybe it can regain some credibility. Right now...JOKE!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5