And The Finalists Are.....

EagleMBA

Gumshoe, OU Dude and Tututango! You didn't really expect inclusion of a G5 QB from "the Committee" now didya?

http://daveyobrienaward.org/2018/11/minshew-ii-murray-and-tagovailoa-named-finalists/

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Gumshoe, OU Dude and Tututango! You didn't really expect inclusion of a G5 QB from "the Committee" now didya?

http://daveyobrienaward.org/2018/11/minshew-ii-murray-and-tagovailoa-named-finalists/

G5 says it all, EagleMBA, but be careful or you’ll confuse some of our fans with such talk.

Sorry, there is no future in G5 & the Davey OBrien proves it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Milton being left off this list is a crime. And no, I didn't expect the elitists to include a or the peasants. The entire  college football model needs to be rewritten from the top down. We, as UNT fans, really needs to keep rooting UCF on. They are throwing a wrench  in the fan and it's driving the hierarchy  crazy. There has never been this much  just discussion about expanding the playoff or G5 conversation in general until now. They are doing us all a huge favor. 

Meh. We've been here before with Boise and TCU. What happened was: TCU got invited to join the party.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UCF get added to the Big12.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

G5 says it all, EagleMBA, but be careful or you’ll confuse some of our fans with such talk.

Sorry, there is no future in G5 & the Davey OBrien proves it.

No, no. What will really spell legitimacy  is when ESPN will be forced to air our conference championship game with the likely match up being <drumroll>....

The Mighty University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers playing HOST to the superpower Florida International University Golden Panthers. So intriguing, and a great opportunity for our leauge to showcase our mighty teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Meh. We've been here before with Boise and TCU. What happened was: TCU got invited to join the party.

Not really. In the mid to late 00's never gained any inclusion traction. There is plenty conversation going on all over the country on national platforms. Not just UCF talk, but G5 inclusion as well. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No, no. What will really spell legitimacy  is when ESPN will be forced to air our conference championship game with the likely match up being <drumroll>....

The Mighty University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers playing HOST to the superpower Florida International University Golden Panthers. So intriguing, and a great opportunity for our leauge to showcase our mighty teams. 

Truth

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

TCU is in it now only because A&M left for the SEC and the Big XII northern teams demanded another Texas team be included in the conference. When the Big 12 implodes, TCU will be back with us as not included anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If the same 4 teams keep getting into the CFP, then over time people will get tired of it. That’s why the NCAA Tournament is so much better. Not saying they need to expand the CFP that much but you have to mix it up a little. It’s getting boring. IMO

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

49 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

If the same 4 teams keep getting into the CFP, then over time people will get tired of it. That’s why the NCAA Tournament is so much better. Not saying they need to expand the CFP that much but you have to mix it up a little. It’s getting boring. IMO

This.

Seriously if you care about the top of CFB, this has been the most chalky and boring CFB season ever. And it feels like this is not an outlier, but rather just the formost example of something that is starting to become a rule. There is absolutely no indication that this season will see a playoff team that wasn't there before and rarely has it felt like such a smooth ride for the big teams (Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and your pick of Georgia/Michigan/Oklahoma/Ohio State). Its gonna cost CFB, because this -if it goes on- reduces fan engagement a ton.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I totally agree with you. +1

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

E0BA8B2A-0A55-4326-A436-9EF8B51B28B0.png.914414be24263d41633cc3f51554b1d5.png

443 fan votes combined.  What a joke to have a fan vote at all..

I posted the first week that voting started that TCU would never allow MF to get close and I was correct.

eff ‘em.

Rick 

I'm missing the TCU correlation to MF being named a finalist for this award? And fan voting is just a way to garner interest on the award and is in fact meaningless. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Hell yeah it's the truth. Bob Ross will laugh at that t.v. rating. 

Gotta get out of this conference as fast as possible. It's a joke and does nothing for the program except anchor it down to a couple hundred K in t.v. money....if we're lucky. 

The fact that CUSA TV money dropped to $200K per team(I think that’s correct) is all you need to know about our conference.  Time to move on is possible.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not really. In the mid to late 00's never gained any inclusion traction. There is plenty conversation going on all over the country on national platforms. Not just UCF talk, but G5 inclusion as well. 

All the talk now hasn't gained traction either, until it has. There was plenty of conversation before about what to do with TCU and Boise. Boise's coach got hired away after he figured out Boise would never be considered to be able to get into the talk.

UCF is the new Boise and TCU.

I'll believe it when I see it, because I've seen this before, and it ended with TCU being invited in and Boise's coach getting hired away.

The only difference here is that UCF is the largest University in Florida. With the quantity of viewership and fans they have in a relatively empty sports market, they will be hard to ignore for a P5 conference looking for a Florida Market.

• Upvote 2

The biggest winners in realignment were clearly Utah, Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, and Rutgers. They moved up to conferences that are power leagues and aren’t in danger of folding.

Next up, you had A&M and Missouri, who got in the premier money making conference with no instate competition. Then, Nebraska and Colorado moves from the uncertain Big XII to more stable conferences. Finally, you get TCU and West Virginia, sho both got big raises in revenues, but the Big XII’s instability doesn’t bode well for the long term.

As for the biggest losers, it’s nit even close. UConn, Cindy, and USF all got screwed hard. Basically, they were the first  collection of schools being left behind. Many of the Big XII will he next eyebrow their GOR expires. 

Then there’s the rest of us, at various levels of the G5 totem pole.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

E0BA8B2A-0A55-4326-A436-9EF8B51B28B0.png.914414be24263d41633cc3f51554b1d5.png

443 fan votes combined.  What a joke to have a fan vote at all..

I posted the first week that voting started that TCU would never allow MF to get close and I was correct.

eff ‘em.

Rick 

B486625C-C32B-4937-933E-4EDD293DE340.thumb.jpeg.85fac9f48c4035150c7753fb431656bf.jpegAnd with that post, FFR, you win a free breakfast at the Hudson Oaks Starbucks.  You can find me there wearing a TCU sweatshirt!😳 (Just kiddin’ I’ll be wearing something like this in the pic you took on your IPhone a while back).

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

B486625C-C32B-4937-933E-4EDD293DE340.thumb.jpeg.85fac9f48c4035150c7753fb431656bf.jpegAnd with that post, FFR, you win a free breakfast at the Hudson Oaks Starbucks.  You can find me there wearing a TCU sweatshirt!😳 (Just kiddin’ I’ll be wearing something like this in the pic you took on your IPhone a while back).

You look rested in that photo, Plumm, did you have the previous night off from work? 🙂

200.gif?cid=3640f6095bf425ff6e6c576e779e

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Truth: but, the point is that fine won the fan vote and wasn't included(Not that he would've won anyways).

That was never a guarantee though.    Mason & Milton were going to make it into the Semi-Finalist round anyway, because of how well they're playing (re: they deserved it), not because of voting.   They were never, ever, ever going to make it to the Finalist round, because they're not the QB of Alabama or other top 10 P5 teams.

I really hope those of you who spent countless wasted hours didn't actually believe you were accomplishing anything.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree. The fact that they announced the finalists so quickly told me that the fix was in. I'll admit to not knowing the personal qualities of the young men selected but I thought that those weighed heavily in the "Committee's" evaluation. I find it hard to believe that there were three who were better overall than Mason Fine. It looks like they picked based on stats, except for Tututango, and he was selected because he was the QB at almighty Bama. His fans didn't bother to vote for him much because they were Bama and felt entitled. I disagree with you that the time spent supporting Mason Fine was wasted.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Agree. The fact that they announced the finalists so quickly told me that the fix was in. I'll admit to not knowing the personal qualities of the young men selected but I thought that those weighed heavily in the "Committee's" evaluation. I find it hard to believe that there were three who were better overall than Mason Fine. It looks like they picked based on stats, except for Tututango, and he was selected because he was the QB at almighty Bama. His fans didn't bother to vote for him much because they were Bama and felt entitled. I disagree with you that the time spent supporting Mason Fine was wasted.

Not "fix".  "Perception".

And if fans get to vote with any sort of actual say in an award, you had better believe there will be no glitches involved that allow for multiple votes from the same IP.

Still, to me, a fan vote absolutely cheapens the award as well.    It's not a popularity contest.  There's a reason a "selection committee" exists.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1