So what would happen.....if UConn dropped football?

TheColonyEagle

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffjacobs/article/Jeff-Jacobs-As-the-season-dies-it-s-worth-13365185.php

I ran across this article (and it's not the only one on this subject) and it got me to thinking.....what would happen if UConn decided to drop football and just focus on basketball? (A lot of people think it would be a smart move....can't say I disagree) 

What would happen if there was a vacancy in the AAC eastern division with Navy sitting in a geographically mismatched AAC Western division?

• Upvote 2

Considering what they have invested in facilities.... including a $50mil indoor training facility and a likely even more expensive new stadium (granted both about 15 years old now) I doubt that will happen. Also remember about 12 years ago they where highly ranked, top 25, in at least one season. Sure recently they have been pretty bad, yet they still have players drafted regularly etc. 

• Upvote 2

According to Jeff Jacobs of Hearst Connecticut Media, “With 85 scholarships and so many expenses, football by far runs the largest deficit. It required a $7.5 million subsidy in absolute dollars in 2014 … And at well over $40 million a year, … UConn athletics is the most highly subsidized program in the nation.”

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2018/11/15/editorial-uninspiring-student-led-drives-may-force-uconn-football-to-punt-away-its-future

Uconn is in one of those rare positions where it has an elite non-football program being dragged down financially by a big ole money sucking football program. I know that most football programs are "money suckers" but UConn is a "blue blood" bball program. I don't know what UConn's bball revenues are but can they offset the football deficit? 

Duke, Kentucky, until this year Louisville had football programs that at least competed. Not sure about Indiana's football program. Is there another top tier Bball program with a worse football situation than UConn? I guess Kansas. But they get P5 money.