DRC: Shanbour goes out on top to cap career that defied convention

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Look at that picture of Shanbour.  Quinn, it's O.K. for a man to tear up like you did.  I "moistened" up a bit reading that fine article on you.  Thanks for all that you do for UNT and all that you will do in the future.  Godspeed.

Great picture! Subtitle “ Passion” thank you sir!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Shanbour isn’t a prototypical quarterback. His best skill is running the ball, a talent that isn’t a fit in today’s college game.

Really? Then how come players like Murry and Mayfield did so well at OU...…..they were both very mobile. 

Thank you @Brett Vito

and thank you Quinn Shanbour,  one of my favorite adopted players although I have sort of shared him with @SilverEagle who was the first to point out his talent.

And what I initially point out was NOT his running ability. Because when I first started talking about him, he was still suffering from turf toe.  The first time I observed him in a spring practice he was going through a pretty simple passing drill with all the others......including DW....and Mr. Deer in the headlights.

After watching a few minutes I sauntered over to Christopher Walker and asked him to come watch the QB's going through their throwing drills and tell me what he saw. He saw the same thing I did......this guy can throw the ball! 

And he had such a strong arm that often the receivers would drop the ball.  And yet no one else seemed to pay attention to his skills as a QB...….especially McCarney.  Besides me and Chris, only one other professional  noticed him. A couple of springs ago, the head coach at Fossill Ridge HS was visiting practice and he and I struck up a lengthy conversation about the team. He went off to watch some other drills and a little while later he came over and said "tell me about #19". So I did, and he totally agreed with everything I said. His assessment? "that guy can play QB!"

To their credit Littrell and his OC came in and (for the most part) correctly assessed Shanbour and his abilities as a QB and installed him as #2 on the depth chart. To their discredit they didn't give him enough mop-up time to keep him from getting rusty while throwing the ball. They limited him to handing off and running. 

Good luck Quinn in your chosen profession of coaching. I am very confident that you will be a huge success. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

I've never been one of those guys that always in the background that insists the back up quarterback is better than our starter.  There was always some idiot that would say 'Well you know Danny White is actually better than Roger..." We all knew a guy like that...

And I dont think that about Shambour either.  But he ALWAYS made me take notice of his skills in Spring ball and the Spring Game.   The guy has a cannon and can run like a deer.     I just always wondered if he couldve been used sucessfully in a Wildcat kinda scenario..

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

I've never been one of those guys that always in the background that insists the back up quarterback is better than our starter.  There was always some idiot that would say 'Well you know Danny White is actually better than Roger..." We all knew a guy like that...

And I dont think that about Shambour either.  But he ALWAYS made me take notice of his skills in Spring ball and the Spring Game.   The guy has a cannon and can run like a deer.     I just always wondered if he couldve been used sucessfully in a Wildcat kinda scenario..

Thoughts?

#Hogeboom4Life

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Hate to play "one up" and I am really showing my age, but how about Clint "The Mad Bomber" Longley?

ha - the nutcase from Abilene Christian.   Had one amazing night, and then got cocky the rest of the season...Heard Roger wanted to take a swing at him a couple of times. 

5 hours ago, trud1966 said:

Thoughts?

Here's a thought. It's a good thing that Coach Canales didn't call QS and beg him to play his graduate year at UTEP. With QS as the starter for UTEP our game could have ended much differently.