Jump to content

Interesting Comment During the Broadcast


UNTLifer
 Share

Recommended Posts

When Fine went down, the announcers stated that they expected to see #5 Bean come in.  I found that interesting because they would have received that tip from the coaching staff prior to the game.  Of course, Shanbour came in and did a great job, but I did find the mention of Bean interesting.

  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

When Fine went down, the announcers stated that they expected to see #5 Bean come in.  I found that interesting because they would have received that tip from the coaching staff prior to the game.  Of course, Shanbour came in and did a great job, but I did find the mention of Bean interesting.

Our radio guys first said Cade was going in.  I believe it was just Cade helping to warm up Quinn, though. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

When Fine went down, the announcers stated that they expected to see #5 Bean come in.  I found that interesting because they would have received that tip from the coaching staff prior to the game.  Of course, Shanbour came in and did a great job, but I did find the mention of Bean interesting.

Bean jumped up and was warming up. He was actually in the huddle and looked like Seth made a decision to go with Shanbour.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, it was probably smart not to commit to one of the young backups. not only because we really needed the points right then and there, but also because you do not want to turn off the ones you aren't choosing. If Shanbour comes in, that hasn't much meaning for the future to them, hes gone next year and therefore he is no long-term competition to them. But if they find they are stuck behind another (redshirt) fresman, that may create some problems in the competition. No need to have any of them transfer out prematurely.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TV seemed to think Bean.  They  showed a clip of him on the sideline.  Honestly, I don't think there is a real "back up" qb.  We needed to run the ball when Quinn went in, and we know he can run in the current offensive scheme.  Bean is a mobile dude, but he hasn't executed the offense before in a real game with sbombs on the line(because apparently cursing is frowned upon), and with the game on the line, why not pick Quinn, who was obviously prepared for the opportunity?

I wasn't listening to the radio so its interesting they keyed in on Pearson.  What all this tells me is that the young guns are hungry for a chance, which is good.  Hopefully next weekend, with UTSA's terrible offense, we will get to see someone other than Mason or Quinn.

  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No doubt the CBS TV broadcast team are Mason Fine fans.   Even the Half Time Report guys were singing the praises of Mason.

More (obviously) CBS cameras were giving good shots of our Press Box side which is the best “big time” looking part of Apogee.   Other cable networks (fewer?) cameras seem permanently  fixed on the Apogee Student side for most of past televised games.  

  • Lovely Take 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

If we get a nice lead against NutsaK, I would not be surprised to see Shanbour get in the game. This young man has been a trooper for the Mean Green. And with the game essentially on the line, what he did Thursday was amazing.

I agree with Greenjoe. With most teams a 28-0 lead is sufficient to give the starter a break and play the 2nd/3rd team QB's the rest of the way. But, obviously,..... not us.

Deep is absolutely correct. Shanbour has been a trooper. He has given more to this program than we really deserve. It's not just the performance that he put on against FAU (which didn't surprise me at all) it has been his role modeling of the concept of patience with, and commitment to, this program. He has trained just about every QB that has come into this program for the last 4-5 years. Last spring when I sat with Cade Pearsons father (who is himself a coach) during one of the Saturday scrimmages, I mentioned QS.  And Coach Pearson couldn't wait for me to finish my sentence so that he could give his testimonial about QS and what a great role model he's been.

Quinn's professional goal is to be a coach. So the next step for him will be GA. But I think he already has his Masters, and unless he's working on yet another masters, he's probably doing work toward a Phd. Anyway, I think he should skip the GA step and go after a regular assistants job somewhere. 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, SilverEagle said:

But I think he already has his Masters, and unless he's working on yet another masters, he's probably doing work toward a Phd.

I'm pretty sure QS received his Masters (not Bachelors) at the New Orleans Bowl graduation ceremony.

  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2018 at 1:11 AM, peanuts104 said:

TV seemed to think Bean.  They  showed a clip of him on the sideline.  Honestly, I don't think there is a real "back up" qb.  We needed to run the ball when Quinn went in, and we know he can run in the current offensive scheme.  Bean is a mobile dude, but he hasn't executed the offense before in a real game with sbombs on the line(because apparently cursing is frowned upon), and with the game on the line, why not pick Quinn, who was obviously prepared for the opportunity?

I wasn't listening to the radio so its interesting they keyed in on Pearson.  What all this tells me is that the young guns are hungry for a chance, which is good.  Hopefully next weekend, with UTSA's terrible offense, we will get to see someone other than Mason or Quinn.

sorry that they are making you expand your vocabulary... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bean is the biggest threat to challenge for the next QB when Fine graduates.  He has what the other QBs lack.  The ability to run the ball and take it it to the house when he does.  I think it will be an interesting race for sure.  To me it comes down to in this order.  Bean, Martin (currently gets nod but could be passed), Aunne.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Bean is the biggest threat to challenge for the next QB when Fine graduates.  He has what the other QBs lack.  The ability to run the ball and take it it to the house when he does.  I think it will be an interesting race for sure.  To me it comes down to in this order.  Bean, Martin (currently gets nod but could be passed), Aunne.  

A lot of people tend to forget about Aune in the QB room.

He has some talent for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 122

      2023 NET Rankings

    2. 13

      DRC: UNT put together a good recruiting class quickly under Eric Morris, but how does it stack up in the new American?

    3. 21

      Is TP a candidate for our HOF?

    4. 122

      2023 NET Rankings

    5. 22

      247 Recruiting Update

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,112
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    AchillesTMK
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.