G5 Playoff

untjim1995

Now CBSsports is mentioning this because of the blatant unfairness of the current setup that only keeps our level of football from ever getting to be a national champion.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/group-of-five-playoff-ranking-the-top-four-and-opening-the-field-for-more-college-football-teams/

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Doing something like this further separates the P5 and G5 schools.

Also, I think something like this would prevent UCF from being the next TCU who was in CUSA not too long ago, and now (not this year) is typically a contender in the Big 12.

I don't think too much money would be missed by not doing this.  Its hard enough to get butts in seats as it is.  Don't know how excited fans would get for the consolation bracket championship.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Doing something like this further separates the P5 and G5 schools.

Also, I think something like this would prevent UCF from being the next TCU who was in CUSA not too long ago, and now (not this year) is typically a contender in the Big 12.

I don't think too much money would be missed by not doing this.  Its hard enough to get butts in seats as it is.  Don't know how excited fans would get for the consolation bracket championship.  

There wasn’t a play off system with TCU just bowl games! Biiiig difference! The $ is in the playoffs!

No thanks to the G5 playoff. Like most of you said, that divides the 2 further. If it was truly fair they would have all conference champions go to a playoff and battle it out to the final two. But then P5 conferences would gripe about the G5ers not playing a tough schedule like they do or they would be afraid they play the season perfect and get upset in the playoff by a G5. 

If it were ever possible, I wish they could structure a playoff system to include 1-2 G5 teams as a wild card. But then the argument cycle starts all over again... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It would relegate us to D1aa. If it happened I would want a rule that P5 and G5 could never play each other. This is ESPN's invention. P5 G5 that is. They basically only want Alabama to win.

Maybe make it like Soccer. You can be P5 but if you don't prrform you drop to G5 and teams could who perform at the G5 could move. However, that would never fly with the way things are.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

The divide is already there. No G5 will ever gain fair access. It will get even worse when TV contracts are renegotiated in a few years. Have the playoff, earn the money, and get the seat at the table. 

That would be like getting a seat at the table in the screened in back porch at my grandparents house when I was kid.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

That would be like getting a seat at the table in the screened in back porch at my grandparents house when I was kid.

Not quite that. You’ll be at the table, on the corner, and unable to reach any of the good food until someone is nice enough to pass it to you. But at least you’re at the same table. 

I work with a guy that is really into European soccer (and college FB).

We've kicked around the idea of having the "relegation" concept in CFB.  Haven't fully thought out the details of scheduling, etc., just kicking around some ideas.

Maybe have a 48 (maybe as many as 64) team top-tier group with a playoff system. Then have a relegation system where some number of teams go up/down. If parity is of interest, maybe allow the relegated teams to have more scholarships??

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Amazing how some fans accept being in a system that is not working than try a new system that might! Is G5 the only sporting group in all sports from HS to the pros that doesn’t have a playoff? Playoffs mean $$$!

"G5" is not an official classification.  We are FBS, and the problem is that FBS doesn't have a true playoff--not one that at least includes all conference champions.  That is what needs to be fixed, and there are voices out there speaking out in favor of fixing it.  If we can get a couple more teams in the next few years to do what UCF did last year, there will be a lot of pressure to change.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Doing this creates FBS-B group. Why would any G5 want that? Might as well forget about it and go play in FCS.

The whole reason there is a divide between FBS is because the P5 conferences engage in cartel behavior to 1) keep TV deals in their favor, 2) prevent a real championship from ever being established. There is no reason that FBS cannot have a true championship. The Power conferences just want to reinforce their hegemony and keep everyone else out. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Doing this creates FBS-B group. Why would any G5 want that? Might as well forget about it and go play in FCS.

The whole reason there is a divide between FBS is because the P5 conferences engage in cartel behavior to 1) keep TV deals in their favor, 2) prevent a real championship from ever being established. There is no reason that FBS cannot have a true championship. The Power conferences just want to reinforce their hegemony and keep everyone else out. 

Well, in fairness, the networks only want to show the P5s so they get the big paydays.

2 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Not really, at least below the P5 level. The FCS, DII and DIII football playoffs generate very, VERY little as there's not much demand for them on TV. 

But that's the difference--those other schools aren't well-known and are pretty smalltime. The G5s aren't any of that, especially the larger G5 schools and conferences.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

Not really, at least below the P5 level. The FCS, DII and DIII football playoffs generate very, VERY little as there's not much demand for them on TV. 

Just think of the intrigue that would be generated by a number X seed Boise State/UCF/etc going up against top seed Alabama. The underdog story is what makes tournaments like March Madness so popular. Sure the top seeded team normally wins, but still...

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, meangreenlax said:

Just think of the intrigue that would be generated by a number X seed Boise State/UCF/etc going up against top seed Alabama. The underdog story is what makes tournaments like March Madness so popular. Sure the top seeded team normally wins, but still...

The only reason March Madness has that is because the NCAA controls it and gets their member conferences a chance. Even then, they rarely give lower conferences a second at-large spot, while they give a power league school that finished .500 in conference play an at-large spot. 

Since the NCAA doesn't control football, this will always belong to the networks, power conferences, and corporate sponsors.

Just now, untjim1995 said:

The only reason March Madness has that is because the NCAA controls it and gets their member conferences a chance. Even then, they rarely give lower conferences a second at-large spot, while they give a power league school that finished .500 in conference play an at-large spot. 

Since the NCAA doesn't control football, this will always belong to the networks, power conferences, and corporate sponsors.

So do you favor breaking off into a minor league version of FBS or fixing the busted system that's in place? To me the choice is clear

Just now, meangreenlax said:

So do you favor breaking off into a minor league version of FBS or fixing the busted system that's in place? To me the choice is clear

So, first off, there will NEVER be a system that lets G5 teams EVER play for a national championship. Hell, there are actual P5 teams that won't ever be allowed to play in this playoff (see TCU and Baylor getting completely jumped by Ohio State without losing a game on the last weekend of the season in 2014.) So get that idea out of your head.

Do I believe we should ever be playing schools with budgets that are 10x bigger than ours? No, I do not. Don't care that we beat Arkansas this year--I have a lifetime of history to show how few and far between those wins are and just how awful those games are for everyone besides the non-revenue teams in your athletic department.

When the Big XII falls apart by 2025 when its GOR expires, there will be a P4 setup. In other words, the Power Conferences aren't expanding, but are actually going to contract some. Knowing this, I don't think its fair to our kids to never get to be a national champion while literally ever other level of college sports offers that opportunity in some form or fashion. I do think it would increase interest in our best teams playing a playoff than the overwhelming number of spare bows that aren't half full when a G5 plays another G5. 

I look at it like this--UCF, USF, Cincy, Fresno State, Boise State, UAB, Army, and Troy would make for a hell of a lot of fun over three weeks to watch, versus each team listed playing one spare game against another G5 in a bowl game that nobody watches. 

What you want to happen will never happen. We aren't ever getting into the big guys' club. Same with every other team in the G5s and several others in the current P5s that will get knocked down in the years ahead. And if you think a lawsuit will change this, look at hos we are where we are today and who's alumni overwhelmingly control the legislators in the states and federal level. Then look at the networks and who they pay and how they promote those who they pay. Then think of our game at ODU last week that was covered live at a level below a 7th grade AV Club level of acceptance. Its not hard to see. So, yeah,  a G5 playoff would be a ton of fun to watch. Also, for the G5s that don't make that playoff, guess what you can still do? Go to the spare bowl that your conference sets up for you in Boise, Albuquerque, Mobile,  Birmingham, etc...

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

So, first off, there will NEVER be a system that lets G5 teams EVER play for a national championship. Hell, there are actual P5 teams that won't ever be allowed to play in this playoff (see TCU and Baylor getting completely jumped by Ohio State without losing a game on the last weekend of the season in 2014.) So get that idea out of your head.

Do I believe we should ever be playing schools with budgets that are 10x bigger than ours? No, I do not. Don't care that we beat Arkansas this year--I have a lifetime of history to show how few and far between those wins are and just how awful those games are for everyone besides the non-revenue teams in your athletic department.

When the Big XII falls apart by 2025 when its GOR expires, there will be a P4 setup. In other words, the Power Conferences aren't expanding, but are actually going to contract some. Knowing this, I don't think its fair to our kids to never get to be a national champion while literally ever other level of college sports offers that opportunity in some form or fashion. I do think it would increase interest in our best teams playing a playoff than the overwhelming number of spare bows that aren't half full when a G5 plays another G5. 

I look at it like this--UCF, USF, Cincy, Fresno State, Boise State, UAB, Army, and Troy would make for a hell of a lot of fun over three weeks to watch, versus each team listed playing one spare game against another G5 in a bowl game that nobody watches. 

What you want to happen will never happen. We aren't ever getting into the big guys' club. Same with every other team in the G5s and several others in the current P5s that will get knocked down in the years ahead. And if you think a lawsuit will change this, look at hos we are where we are today and who's alumni overwhelmingly control the legislators in the states and federal level. Then look at the networks and who they pay and how they promote those who they pay. Then think of our game at ODU last week that was covered live at a level below a 7th grade AV Club level of acceptance. Its not hard to see. So, yeah,  a G5 playoff would be a ton of fun to watch. Also, for the G5s that don't make that playoff, guess what you can still do? Go to the spare bowl that your conference sets up for you in Boise, Albuquerque, Mobile,  Birmingham, etc...

UCF beating Auburn in the Sugar Bowl last year was a big deal.

TCU beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl was a big deal (they wound up riding this to a P5 conference invite!!).

Boise St. beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl was a big deal.

23 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Its not hard to see. So, yeah,  a G5 playoff would be a ton of fun to watch. Also, for the G5s that don't make that playoff, guess what you can still do? Go to the spare bowl that your conference sets up for you in Boise, Albuquerque, Mobile,  Birmingham, etc...

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I prefer the status quo over becoming FCS-2.0, but that's just me.

• Upvote 1