A modest proposal

97and03

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Food for thought. 

This likely will not be popular, but let's be objective for a moment (I know that is a difficult proposition). 

If Mason does not get injured, do we win this game?

I am not condemning Mason, but rather the inability of the coaching staff to hold on to big leads and win close games this year.  When Fine went out, we played pretty well and it also gave Torrey the chance to take over the game - which is exactly what he did.  I feel like we have been too predictable somehow, but the injury changed everything. 

I am interested in your feedback. 

No I don't think we win. Not his fault the amount of dropped balls, good god, alone would win the game, but the two touchdowns and a fire lit under several player asses when Mason left the field made the difference. 

That's a hard one to say. Because the game was close all 4 quarters going back and forth. If I had to stick with my honest opinion.. yes, this changed the game in our favor. We stopped passing and started running. Quinn is effing fast, and the defense had a hard time adjusting to his pace. Mason still did all the work, but Shan the man really chopped up the defense for Fine to come back in a wrap up the game.

• Upvote 2

I don't think we win the game without Quinn going in there but I'm also not sure we win if Quinn stays in. His last drive wasn't nearly as promising as the first 2 once they got behind the chains and Quinn had to throw. Quinn stays in and I'm not sure Torrey gets the long TD run especially not on our 8 with no passing element.

• Upvote 4

Hard to say.  I know without the two touchdowns Quinn scored, we would have been out of that game.  I know with the QB option plays, it opened some big lanes for Torrey.  However it would have gone down, I'm glad it went down the way it did and I'm really happy for Quinn for his last game at Apogee as a player (maybe come back as a grad assistant?).

Still, when Mason was in the game toward the end, they resorted to sending three and dropping eight into coverage.  Having eight in coverage seems to be the only way they can beat us, and unfortunately our schemes don't seem to be able to deal with that many defenders in coverage.  At best, you have 5 receivers trying to find space among eight guys with variance in man and zone coverage from play to play. 

What was most disconcerting to me was that despite there usually only being a three man rush early on in the game, we didn't try for the ground game sooner.  Once we got rolling, we rolled. If y'all remember, it's kinda what happened in the liberty game.  Started off strong with the pass then finished them with the run.

Either way, like I said, the main thing is I'm glad for Quinn.  From everything we've seen, he's been nothing but a good teammate.  Not only that, in the post game he mentioned losing a loved one this week.  Can't help but wish the guy the best.  He obviously has great character and fortitude.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

Quinn entering the game, changed what our offense did. It was an offensive adjustment, which is something our coaches had not done in the losses to LA Tech, UAB, or ODU. FAU was not prepared for it, and we took the lead. Mason is a great QB. I just think our coaches need to be more creative with what we are doing on offense, so teams can't shut us down for long stretches of a game.

Love Fine, but if he does not get injured we do not win the game, after the 1Q he was pretty ineffective, which has been common in the 3 losses this year, when team plays better teams, ODU was an aberration. 

Shanbour lit a spark to the offense, the injury lit a fire under the defense as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Brain fart time for those who were NeverFine’ers even after we first signed him to a scholly.

I was proudly one of his earliest supporters but what the hell do I know closing in on 50 years of following Mean Green football & having even played the game at a Texas high school as a 3 year letterman & an All District safety & Tri-Captain my senior year. (blushing).   ➡️ And you have read my book “ Modesty & How I Attained It?”  🤔

Fine is just more than Fine.  Broadcasters last night couldn’t say enough great things just as as the CBSS national Half Time Report guys,too. Enjoy the Fine ride.  He’s a record-setter & giving UNT more national pub than I can remember from any one player last almost 50 years I’ve followed this.  (I was in HS during the Joe Greene era)

Some of our fans would screw up a wet dream & then blame someone else for it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Do we win if Fine doesn't get hurt?  Maybe, maybe not.  

Do we win if Fine doesn't start and doesn't return?  No.

It's why I'm hoping Jason Bean earns the starting position when Fine graduates because his running ability would provide an option not even Quinn can bring. 

Edited by NorthTexan95

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

everything. 

It’s a double edge sword.

FAU was dropping 8 men back all game.  We just weren’t taking advantage of it.

When Shanbour came in we kicked into run game mode with the QB position.  FAU hadn’t seen it on film and couldn’t or just didn’t  adjust.

Then...when MF came back in FAU went back to dropping 8 and apparently the previous three series helped us finally see the space it was creating.  Torrey gets the ball in space.....BOOM! 92 yards.

Well guess what?  That BOOM!!! Was there in the first three quarters.

FEED the man the ball!

Rick

16 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

How about letting Shan play a few snaps a game for a change of pace?

Have both in the backfield. Line Quinn up 3 yards behind center in an offset a pistol, and Fine directly behind center 5 yards back. Quinn could take the snap or let it could go to Fine, depending on how the defense is aligned. Also, based on the defensive alignment, Fine could audible and send Quinn in motion, or have Quinn shift to adjust for picking up blitzes.

I would not run this exclusively, just as a change of pace, when defenses are keying in and stopping our offense. Just a thought.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I do think the introduction of, essentially, a run-only QB, was a shock to the owls.  One that definitely seemed to swing the momentum with their inability to stop him.

With Mason for the duration, I don’t know if we lose the game, but I don’t know if we win either.  

Hope that answers your question!

This is the correct answer.

4 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

How about letting Shan play a few snaps a game for a change of pace?

Talking about needing a change of pace reminds me of the last of the Dickey years.  You guys remember the Green Team?  For a change of pace, Dickey would swap out all of the starting offensive players and run a different offense, quarterbacked by Matt Phillips and I believe Evan Robertson was the RB.  Different times.

• Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Talking about needing a change of pace reminds me of the last of the Dickey years.  You guys remember the Green Team?  For a change of pace, Dickey would swap out all of the starting offensive players and run a different offense, quarterbacked by Matt Phillips and I believe Evan Robertson was the RB.  Different times.

Yeah, that really worked out well...