Basketball Scandal?

ABrownGMG

This could affect this season and any post season hopes. Looks like all the details weren’t released a year ago and maybe UNT admin dropped the ball. I didn’t see the story, but I found this article and it brings up new info that wasn’t previously reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wfaa.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&subsection=local&topic=investigates&headline=unt-student-on-alleged-gang-rape-i-was-just-some-piece-of-meat&contentId=287-614961998

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'm no legal expert but when a grand jury doesn't take it to trial then there apparently isn't much there. 

Nor and I. I don’t want to discredit either side, but I found it interesting that Anwar (former assistant coach) was involved (his apartment was used) and when he was contacted he said I deny everything and hung up. Somewhat suspicious.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I can certainly sympathize with the victim. She doesn't feel justice was served and I'm sure I'd feel the same if I were in her situation. However, aside from giving her a platform to voice her position, did this article really introduce anything we didn't already know? 

Edited by GreenGuy123
  • Upvote 5

I happened to catch this last night after the game, it reaked of a news report trying to sensationalize something that was just incredibly lacking on any facts, depth or any real story.   She kept trying to infer that there was this massive, university wide scandal throughout the athletics program, but it just came down to a couple people did a very bad thing and are now being handled in the court system.  They literally tried to interview these dudes at the courthouse (which I felt negates her whole premise of a coverup), so it begged the question, what else do you want, they were arrested and if the courts deem it justice they will be punished.  

• Upvote 6

Back when this actually happened, it was right in the middle of Baylor's troubles & at the end of Benford's tenure.

Pres. Smatresk showed everyone he learned a thing or two during that time & got out in front of this thing with openness & honesty.   NT administration was very forthright, knowing it could give them a black eye, but choosing to do the right thing anyway.

That's why this is not a big story now.

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Back when this actually happened, it was right in the middle of Baylor's troubles & at the end of Benford's tenure.

Pres. Smatresk showed everyone he learned a thing or two during that time & got out in front of this thing with openness & honesty.   NT administration was very forthright, knowing it could give them a black eye, but choosing to do the right thing anyway.

That's why this is not a big story now.

I just watched the two video's in the Andrew's link above and I think correct.  The school was forthright and it really involved only three or four people who are being dealt with by the courts.  I'm not sure why the assistant coach has avoided legal trouble but there are probably facts not presented in this report. 

My biggest take is the reporter talks to some kind of "expect" who proclaims this to be a big cover up when she has only see the facts presented by the reporter.  I also don't understand why this girl is coming claiming a cover up when the perpetrators are being dealt with by the courts.  Perhaps she's upset that no one offered her a book deal?  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I just watched the two video's in the Andrew's link above and I think correct.  The school was forthright and it really involved only three or four people who are being dealt with by the courts.  I'm not sure why the assistant coach has avoided legal trouble but there are probably facts not presented in this report. 

My biggest take is the reporter talks to some kind of "expect" who proclaims this to be a big cover up when she has only see the facts presented by the reporter.  I also don't understand why this girl is coming claiming a cover up when the perpetrators are being dealt with by the courts.  Perhaps she's upset that no one offered her a book deal?  

From what I understand, none of the guys have been charged with sexual assault so I get why the victim would be upset about that. Plus the university spent almost $100,000 to investigate the issue and none of the investigators met with her or the RA who witnessed the phone conversation. That would be frustrating and it does stink of cover up. 

All of the guys are gone from the campus but this still could lead to additional investigations. I also don't remember ever hearing that David Anwar was potentially involved before last night's report which is concerning. If I were New Mexico State, I'd start asking him some tough questions. 

• Lovely Take 1

47 minutes ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

From what I understand, none of the guys have been charged with sexual assault so I get why the victim would be upset about that. Plus the university spent almost $100,000 to investigate the issue and none of the investigators met with her or the RA who witnessed the phone conversation. That would be frustrating and it does stink of cover up. 

All of the guys are gone from the campus but this still could lead to additional investigations. I also don't remember ever hearing that David Anwar was potentially involved before last night's report which is concerning. If I were New Mexico State, I'd start asking him some tough questions. 

I think Anwar's haircut ought to be charged for reckless endangerment.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

The report was meant to investigate the program's culture as a whole, rather than the incident. The actual report begins by saying as much and the University put out statements repeating this.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

This is gonna be bad. They spent a month doing this. They will want more than one 10 minute report out of it.

I just hope Smatresk really did dot all the Is. And I get why the victim doesn't feel like justice really happened (although the expectation of what a university can/should do may be unrealistic, it still feels like several people were insensitive at best). That will make this easy emotional media fodder.

Edited by outoftown

42 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This is gonna be bad. They spent a month doing this. They will want more than one 10 minute report out of it.

I just hope Smatresk really did dot all the Is. And I get why the victim doesn't feel like justice really happened (although the expectation of what a university can/should do may be unrealistic, it still feels like several people were insensitive at best). That will make this easy emotional media fodder.

According to the story,  the University told the victim to work with campus police only and not Denton police so if they can't handle the investigation they should have handed it over to another authority. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Did these incidents take place off campus? If so, why were the UNT police, and not the Denton force, investigating this in the first place?  If a "normal" UNT student did something illegal off campus, who would handle this, the UNT police or Denton's department?

3 hours ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

What more is there to investigate?

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'm no legal expert but when a grand jury doesn't take it to trial then there apparently isn't much there. 

"A WFAA review, however, found UNT failed to speak to suspects for weeks, and key evidence was not secured. Even a link to a member of the coaching staff was not disclosed publicly."

There could have been enough evidence but perhaps the investigation wasn't handled properly. It's sadly pretty common for sexual assault allegations to not lead to actual charges. 

• Downvote 7

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Did these incidents take place off campus? If so, why were the UNT police, and not the Denton force, investigating this in the first place?  If a "normal" UNT student did something illegal off campus, who would handle this, the UNT police or Denton's department?

As we hear more about these events, I'm starting to question why universities retain their own police departments for this level of crime. Yes they're accredited and fully sworn to the same standards as municipal/county/state peace officers. However everything they do in high profile cases comes off as tainted by the bureaucracy of the school. Whether that is right or wrong, it seems like it casts a shadow on every investigation we hear about. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

As we hear more about these events, I'm starting to question why universities retain their own police departments for this level of crime. Yes they're accredited and fully sworn to the same standards as municipal/county/state peace officers. However everything they do in high profile cases comes off as tainted by the bureaucracy of the school. Whether that is right or wrong, it seems like it casts a shadow on every investigation we hear about. 

In the Baylor scandal, even Waco PD was found to be caught up in the bureaucracy surrounding the university.

• Upvote 2