YOU PUT THE POINTS ON THE BOARD!

Cerebus

I know we wound up winning the game so this doesn’t really matter, but at the time, that was a gigantic bone-headed mistake.

Youre down 1, you’re not able to run the ball in a heavy set.  The field is shrunk so you cant stretch it with your receivers.    Take the FG, go back up by 2pts, lean on your defense for the last 2 min of the half & take that lead to the locker room!

I was sitting there shaking my head when I saw the offense stay out there.   It’s fine if we’re ahead.  It’s fine to gamble if we’re way behind, but down only 1?  TAKE THE POINTS THAT PUT YOU BACK IN THE LEAD!!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

What on Earth were they going to call there?
Your offense is based on spreading out the defense, sideline to sideline & vertically.  They have to be able to stretch out the field, or get the ball out quickly in tiny spaces.
When the ball is on the 4 yd line, you don't have the ability to spread the defense out.  The field is too small.   You have to be able to line up heavy and mash the ball in, which we have proven over & over we simply cannot do reliably.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What on Earth were they going to call there?
Your offense is based on spreading out the defense, sideline to sideline & vertically.  They have to be able to stretch out the field, or get the ball out quickly in tiny spaces.
When the ball is on the 4 yd line, you don't have the ability to spread the defense out.  The field is too small.   You have to be able to line up heavy and mash the ball in, which we have proven over & over we simply cannot do reliably.

Earlier in the year we effectively used that jet sweep toss/pass play to a WR.  So of course we have completely abandoned it. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Earlier in the year we effectively used that jet sweep toss/pass play to a WR.  So of course we have completely abandoned it. 

They put Darden in the flat pre-snap, and threw over to him once last night.  He was promptly gobbled up for a loss/no gain.  I think there's a lot of film on the offense now & teams are more prepared for what we're doing.   There just comes a time when you have to line up and go get those tough yards...   Something we could do with Easley, but it's not Torrey's strong suit.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They put Darden in the flat pre-snap, and threw over to him once last night.  He was promptly gobbled up for a loss/no gain.  I think there's a lot of film on the offense now & teams are more prepared for what we're doing.   There just comes a time when you have to line up and go get those tough yards...   Something we could do with Easley, but it's not Torrey's strong suit.

Different play. The one you referred to does not get him the ball with momentum.  He had to stop to catch the ball and the defender had time to react.

Haha... I like that he can make a joke.

I know it’s probably not going to be a popular call but I like true confidence it shows to your players to go for it. Didn’t like the play call necessarily but didn’t mind him going for it there. They were probably concerned that our defense wasn’t going to be able to hold FAU’s high octane offense all game. 

• Skeptical Eagle 2