DRC: Just so you know, UNT officials really, really want you to show up Thursday

Brett Vito

39 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Everyone on here is saying the ODU game is gonna keep a lot of people away. How many people even watched the game. And who goes on the internet and watches highlights then says that's it I'm not going to the game. 

Looking at attendance numbers for college teams this year just having 15,000 would be a success.

I don't think you actually had to watch the game to be disheartened.  You could read the DMN and see that we gave up a 28 point halftime lead and say, "Screw it.  I'm not gonna show up in 40 degree weather on a Thursday night at 8:00 to watch that."  This is especially true if you're a big enough fan to know that we've blown 2 other 20+ point leads this year.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Everyone on here is saying the ODU game is gonna keep a lot of people away. How many people even watched the game. And who goes on the internet and watches highlights then says that's it I'm not going to the game. 

Looking at attendance numbers for college teams this year just having 15,000 would be a success.

True. Most fans that didn't watch the game, and have no real understanding of just how bad the second half of the ODU game went. They probably didn't bother to look up the highlights either... But, most can do the basic math of figuring out we lost to a 2-7 team, and then read that we did it by blowing a 28 point lead. After that, they just had remember back a few weeks to realize we did the same thing against LA Tech and UAB.

As for 15K being a success... I guess that is true, if you are comparing our attendance to Tuesday night's MAC Nation game.

Debating what will keep the fans away isn't as important as figuring out how to fix our on the field performance. Gimmick and giveaways are no substitute for winning. That's just the truth.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Startlegram: 

“UNT bribing football fans for next game with cheap beer, In-and-Out and sick notes”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article221677450.html

Rick

In-n-Out Burger!?  I would make the drive for Whataburger!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I don't think you actually had to watch the game to be disheartened.  You could read the DMN and see that we gave up a 28 point halftime lead and say, "Screw it.  I'm not gonna show up in 40 degree weather on a Thursday night at 8:00 to watch that."  This is especially true if you're a big enough fan to know that we've blown 2 other 20+ point leads this year.

I understand if you can't make a late Thursday night game. But I can't understand not supporting a 7-3 team because they had a chance to be perfect but made too many mistakes and it cost them. With that mindset why is the team still playing games? They sucked for what 9 quarters? Fuck it cancel the rest of the season!

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 4
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I honestly think the ODU loss (the WAY we lost) will hurt attendance for this game more than the cold/weather.  Of course, there's no way to quantify that...

Thursday night at 8:30 is the main factor though.   I'll be surprised if there are more than 12k butts-in-seats.

Disagree. As others have said of those 30K we had earlier in the season how many watched the ODU game? Not many i'd bet. That game affects the season ticket holders/this board and that's about it. And most of those people will go regardless.

You are correct on the main factor. CBS Sports TV games are not worth it, and certainly not at that day/time.

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Startlegram: 

“UNT bribing football fans for next game with cheap beer, In-and-Out and sick notes”

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article221677450.html

Rick

So what's the deal with that writer? What did UNT do to piss him off? 

The tone of that article is nasty...

Geez

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Disagree. As others have said of those 30K we had earlier in the season how many watched the ODU game? Not many i'd bet. That game affects the season ticket holders/this board and that's about it. And most of those people will go regardless.

You are correct on the main factor. CBS Sports TV games are not worth it, and certainly not at that day/time.

Take away the Thursday night game & put the game on Saturday at 6:00pm

Game is played at a temp in the mid-40's, but we had beat ODU to be at 8-2.
OR
Game is played at a "normal" temp this time of year: mid-60's, and we lose to ODU like we did & we're at 7-3.

Which do you think would be better-attended?

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Take away the Thursday night game & put the game on Saturday at 6:00pm

Game is played at a temp in the mid-40's, but we had beat ODU to be at 8-2.
OR
Game is played at a "normal" temp this time of year: mid-60's, and we lose to ODU like we did & we're at 7-3.

Which do you think would be better-attended?

Can I combine the answers? I'll have a Saturday Game at 8-2 with Temps in the Mid 50's!

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

And this is called having a spine!  

Great response.  I love WB’s people!!!!

Rick

Totally Agree, Peck is Solid Gold

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

And this is called having a spine!  

Great response.  I love WB’s people!!!!

Rick

Big thumbs up to Ryan Peck.  The FWST is just pissed, along with all of Fort Worth, that TCU sucks this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Some of the comments on this thread are troubling.  I'll admit I would prefer a Saturday night game over Thursday night for a bunch of reasons.  But, some of the comments indicate that unless we have a perfect record, consistent blowout wins, positioned to win a National Championship, 75 degrees and sunny weather with freebies for everyone to attend, then crowds won't show.  I don't think the team's fan base is quite that  soft.  In any event, I'll be there #GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Some of the comments on this thread are troubling.  I'll admit I would prefer a Saturday night game over Thursday night for a bunch of reasons.  But, some of the comments indicate that unless we have a perfect record, consistent blowout wins, positioned to win a National Championship, 75 degrees and sunny weather with freebies for everyone to attend, then crowds won't show.  I don't think the team's fan base is quite that  soft.  In any event, I'll be there #GMG 

Haven't been around here very long, huh?   
I agree with you, it's troubling, but I guess you have to see it to believe it.

And I'll be there with you!

• Upvote 1