DRC: Just so you know, UNT officials really, really want you to show up Thursday

Brett Vito

It's going to be cold, its at 8:30 on a Thursday night, and the team lost in humiliating fashion last week. Not exactly a recipe for high turnout at North Texas.

I still think that the only way we would have gotten close to getting to a sellout for this game would be to still be undefeated and/or for it to still be in the 70s. Thursdays are just a tough sell for the casual fan with family.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Regardless of the ODU game...

I expect alumni attendance to be low for a weeknight game.  But past weeknight games have had great student turnout.  I don't expect that to be the case with a 8:30pm kickoff - they probably would rather just go party.  Now if kickoff was at 6:30pm, then they'd have plenty of time to party AFTER the game.

The weather probably will keep away most of those students who might come.

Unless - are those students on a meal plan going to be required to go to the Hill to get their meal, like in the past?

As for me - we pretty much have a Thursday night game every year, so I schedule vacation time for Thursday & Friday, and make a weekend trip out of it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I honestly think the ODU loss (the WAY we lost) will hurt attendance for this game more than the cold/weather.  Of course, there's no way to quantify that...

Thursday night at 8:30 is the main factor though.   I'll be surprised if there are more than 12k butts-in-seats.

I'll be there, but I was already concerned about the FAU game based on the past several weeks of play.   The ODU game just hammered that home even more. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

The league thought an 8:30 pm kickoff the week before Thanksgiving was a swell idea. Ok. Whatever. 

Right away omit kids, their parents who need to get them to school. Omit casual fans who have jobs. Omit out of towners who generally come in town for games but aren't going to use vacation time, especially before the holidays, to watch football. 

After all that, I'm not going to bother mentioning the angry fans that are gutted by the team falling apart of late.

Bottom line, even if we were still undefeated or in contention for the CUSA West the numbers would be lower than usual.

(I'm still in but I'm still dumbfounded after Saturday. My goodness that was ridiculous and embarrassing.)

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

How many people do you think watched that game on Saturday?

I did (except for most of the second half, thanks to espn3), but I have no clue as to the total numbers. Since we have no real TV coverage, outside of our non-conference schedule, and the FAU game tomorrow night, most fans probably had to catch the highlights on the net. Why?

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I did (except for most of the second half, thanks to espn3), but I have no clue as to the total numbers. Since we have no real TV coverage, outside of our non-conference schedule, and the FAU game tomorrow night, most fans probably had to catch the highlights on the net. Why?

Everyone on here is saying the ODU game is gonna keep a lot of people away. How many people even watched the game. And who goes on the internet and watches highlights then says that's it I'm not going to the game. 

Looking at attendance numbers for college teams this year just having 15,000 would be a success.