Footballscoop nuclear winter

Cr1028

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not saying Briles didn’t do anything, I’m saying I don’t know what he specifically did that all the other jokers (like Kendal, OC at UH and Casey Horny, QC coach at UT) didn’t do. I genuinely do not know so don’t make me a defender of Briles, I’m just asking for answers and not the Brett McMurphy style headlines.

He was the HC.   Outside of the AD, who is also gone, the buck stops with him as far as the football program goes.   The coordinators/position coaches can play dumb all they want, but the head coach cannot be ignorant.

When I google “what did Art Briles do specifically”, I get https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article213993464.html

And this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/10/28/13460830/art-briles-fired-baylor-coach-report

It says he went to Ian McCaw (who has a job apparently with no rioting gapping outside his office) which is what he and the victimized volleyball player’s coach were directed to do. The player and her parent chose not to pursue it further.4 of the 5 players allegedly involved were no longer in the Baylor program by the time Briles was made aware. He even stated that he wanted her to press charges but she wouldn’t. They player herself said Briles was a good and faithful man. 

The most egregious thing I can find that he did is trust his staff (who almost all have jobs in college football still) a little too much. You think a man that was the fall guy for a university would make that mistake again? If I am wrong, please correct me, but I still haven’t seen where he knowingly, intentionally, or personally covered up a single sexual assault.

Meanwhile, Kendal “you like white women?” Briles is a hot coaching candidate right now. What is wrong with this world?

• Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

When I google “what did Art Briles do specifically”, I get https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article213993464.html

And this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2016/10/28/13460830/art-briles-fired-baylor-coach-report

It says he went to Ian McCaw (who has a job apparently with no rioting gapping outside his office) which is what he and the victimized volleyball player’s coach were directed to do. The player and her parent chose not to pursue it further.4 of the 5 players allegedly involved were no longer in the Baylor program by the time Briles was made aware. He even stated that he wanted her to press charges but she wouldn’t. They player herself said Briles was a good and faithful man. 

The most egregious thing I can find that he did is trust his staff (who almost all have jobs in college football still) a little too much. You think a man that was the fall guy for a university would make that mistake again? If I am wrong, please correct me, but I still haven’t seen where he knowingly, intentionally, or personally covered up a single sexual assault.

Meanwhile, Kendal “you like white women?” Briles is a hot coaching candidate right now. What is wrong with this world?

Kendall will likely not get that opportunity in Texas.   Coordinator all he wants, but that's his cap here in Texas.

Competitive fire brings out the best in people.  It also brings out the worst.
Art succumbed to his competitive nature, and turned a blind eye to terrible atrocities.  His cover?  "I told this guy like I was supposed to.... blame him!"
No man.   Stand up.  Be a man.  Even if it means you lose some games.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

And this.

Huh, funny, I found this when googling the same thing-

Something like this: In a text to one of his assistants, Briles called a female student athlete "a "fool" for reporting a football player to police because he'd brandished a gun at her.

Or this: In another text, he implied that a football player needed no discipline after reportedly exposing himself to a masseuse, insinuating that the woman might be a stripper.

Or this: In still another text, he told then athletic director Ian McCaw that Waco police would keep an incident involving a player "quiet," a development that McCaw called "great."

Or this: Confronted with a list of five players who'd reportedly gang-raped a female student athlete, Briles said, "Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/02/02/baylors-new-coach-matt-rhule-convincing-recruits-maybe-us-change-baylor-finally-coming

Edited by meanrob
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Huh, funny, I found this when googling the same thing-

Something like this: In a text to one of his assistants, Briles called a female student athlete "a "fool" for reporting a football player to police because he'd brandished a gun at her.

Or this: In another text, he implied that a football player needed no discipline after reportedly exposing himself to a masseuse, insinuating that the woman might be a stripper.

Or this: In still another text, he told then athletic director Ian McCaw that Waco police would keep an incident involving a player "quiet," a development that McCaw called "great."

Or this: Confronted with a list of five players who'd reportedly gang-raped a female student athlete, Briles said, "Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

Those first three would happen at just about any P5 campus (especially if Urbam Meyer is there). They are not punishable by career coaching death.

The last is an incomplete story because Briles went on to say she should press charges. She wouldn’t. Is he to go against the woman’s wishes and press charges for her?

• Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Those first three would happen at just about any P5 campus (especially if Urbam Meyer is there). They are not punishable by career coaching death.

The last is an incomplete story because Briles went on to say she should press charges. She wouldn’t. Is he to go against the woman’s wishes and press charges for her?

I mean, Chernobyl doesn't look like that bad of a place, unless you're carrying a geiger counter.
Art Briles is Chernobyl.   Just stay away, lest you be exposed.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Arkansas' roster was built 180 degrees away from Chad Morris' offensive strategies. Morris may suck for sure at Arkansas, but we won't know that for at least 2 more years.

He's putting together a pretty good recruiting class.  It is currently #16 in the nation which, unfortunately, is #7 in the SEC.

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Feel free to go support whatever idiotic school hires him. If he ever steps on UNT in any official capacity I'd be done with all aspects of the university. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good thing Early Signing Day is December 19th!

With all of these rumors swirling around what kid is going to commit early without us defining some kind of backup plan should Littrell leave?

This is where I really hope that relationship between our AD and HC is all it’s made out to be.

1 minute ago, TIgreen01 said:

With all of these rumors swirling around what kid is going to commit early without us defining some kind of backup plan should Littrell leave?

This is where I really hope that relationship between our AD and HC is all it’s made out to be.

Guess we'll find out on December 19th!

Although, most times, if a coach is hired away, they're hired away directly after both teams' regular seasons are over.  So I would actually expect to see Littrell gone before 12/19, if he were going anywhere... which I no-longer think he is, this year.

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Feel free to go support whatever idiotic school hires him. If he ever steps on UNT in any official capacity I'd be done with all aspects of the university. 

Says a lot about your loyalty our university. I don’t care to be a fan of Art Briles next school (which won’t happen anyway) but it sucks that someone’s career  can be completely ended based on media reports instead of police reports. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

For all of you wanting any Brilee you are naive he was crooked at Staphenville. I hope we have nothing to do with either and I’ve been a fan since 1967 and would question the school’s integrity. Carry on

Thank you for the insight. All I know of his time at Stephenville was the 4A 1998 state championship with Kelan Luker and Cody Caldwell. I remember because I played 4A that year and we had beaten the other 4A division champion that year (Grapevine) during the regular season. What was crooked about him? Transfer kids?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Thank you for the insight. All I know of his time at Stephenville was the 4A 1998 state championship with Kelan Luker and Cody Caldwell. I remember because I played 4A that year and we had beaten the other 4A division champion that year (Grapevine) during the regular season. What was crooked about him? Transfer kids?

Former Texas HS football coach (later UTA HFC) Chuck Curtis had that "transfer" kids syndrome, too, I've heard.  He had other "cheating" issues too listening to Old Timers who knew him.  He is a member of the Parker Country Sheriff Possee where I've DJ'd many events, but I think he passed a few years ago, didn't he? (Sorry, CHUUUU'CK if you are still kicking).  

I believe in redemption whereas people of all walks deserve a 2'nd chance, but (to quote another alum) the present "Me Too" movement is all but an ender for Art Briles.  Such a shame for such a talent, but we all have to be be responsible for all our actions. 

I just hate to think that in the world we live in today, an accusation is as good as a conviction if it’s spun by the media correctly. That sort of thing could happen to any one of us. What if Zach Smith never really harmed his wife? His dream career is over exclusively because people THINK he did. It seems there is no due process anymore these days.

People should have their day in court but that no longer matters because in the court of public opinion, you are always guilty. People are very fond of piling on these days. Seems we enjoy bringing people down more than bringing people up. 

Phil Bennett on Baylor 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article214919825.html

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was the HC.   Outside of the AD, who is also gone, the buck stops with him as far as the football program goes.   The coordinators/position coaches can play dumb all they want, but the head coach cannot be ignorant.

Exactly. People want the HC to be responsible for everything on the field, so they should be held responsible for everything that happens off the field too. 

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I just hate to think that in the world we live in today, an accusation is as good as a conviction if it’s spun by the media correctly.

I just hate to think that in the world we live in today, women are sexually assaulted and a coach overlooks that his players and his team culture are to blame.

12 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I just hate to think that in the world we live in today, women are sexually assaulted and a coach overlooks that his players and his team culture are to blame.

Cheap response. But you’ll get your +1s. Not every man accused is guilty but you’d assume so until that man is you.

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Not every man accused is guilty but you’d assume so until that man is you.

No, but former Briles players Tevin Elliot, Sam Ukwuachu, and Shawn Oakman are in jail RIGHT NOW for rape/sexual assaults.  

So lets not pretend these are all false accusations that turned out to be false.  

26 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No, but former Briles players Tevin Elliot, Sam Ukwuachu, and Shawn Oakman are in jail RIGHT NOW for rape/sexual assaults.  

So lets not pretend these are all false accusations that turned out to be false.  

Same could be said of the Penn State head coach’s former players.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/05/21/ex-vanderbilt-football-player-gets-probation-in-dorm-gang-rape/amp/

Edited by Cr1028

On 11/15/2018 at 3:25 PM, Cr1028 said:

It says he went to Ian McCaw (who has a job apparently with no rioting gapping outside his office)

I personally am furious that McCAw has a job, much less an AD job. It says everything you need to know about Liberty and their morals. When NT finally hosts Liberty there will be a number of fans who usually attend almost every game, who will misteriously not be present. And no, there were no riots at Liberty, but I think that might be the only FBS school where that would not have happened. But I would not be surprised to see a protest by NT students when his team comes to town for even a single game.

Edited by outoftown
  • Thanks 1