Injury Updates

Shark84

Anyone heard any update on Tope Arikawe's injury from Sunday night? Looked bad.  I know Smart is out of the boot and shooting so hopefully he is getting close but no need to rush him. Also haven't heard about the freshman Wise or transfer Alcinder and when they may be back. Could use some bulk and rebounding down low. Go Mean Green! 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Anyone heard any update on Tope Arikawe's injury from Sunday night? Looked bad.  I know Smart is out of the boot and shooting so hopefully he is getting close but no need to rush him. Also haven't heard about the freshman Wise or transfer Alcinder and when they may be back. Could use some bulk and rebounding down low. Go Mean Green! 

No official updates but Tope was on the court for the closing ceremony aided by crutches. I would be slightly surprised if Smart doesn’t play tomorrow, and shocked if he doesn’t play Saturday.

Not sure about Wise or Muhamed but they look close to coming back as well. Muhamed had a knee brace on 10 days ago but he didn’t in Hawaii and Wise has been warming up in the layup lines.

Last, I think Alcindor is headed for a conventional redshirt. Don’t expect to see him on the court this year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 11/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, southsideguy said:

So can Red Shirt players play in four games without losing their red shirt?

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Isn’t that football? I thought it was something like a quarter of the season so I’m basketball it’s like 8 or 9. I could be wrong though.

The rule is only applicable for football. The games mark that Andrew is referring to is how many games a player can play in for basketball and still be eligible for a medical redshirt (30% of teams’ games played).

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Greendylan said:

I believe McCasland said on the pregame show last night that the plan was for him to debut against St. Peter's on Saturday.

It would be great to have everyone available by the time the Oklahoma game rolls around. Did he say anything about Wise or Muhammad?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

But for injuries it’s similar. Essentially we have wasted Shakeems year because he played a few minutes? That stinks for him. 

Why?  Very few basketball players are redshirted unless for medical or eligibility reasons.   If he can cure his fouling issues, he could become a valuable part of the rotation.  

Teams are catching on, there is no reason to redshirt and develop a player just so he can leave as a grad transfer.   

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why?  Very few basketball players are redshirted unless for medical or eligibility reasons.   If he can cure his fouling issues, he could become a valuable part of the rotation.  

Teams are catching on, there is no reason to redshirt and develop a player just so he can leave as a grad transfer.   

I agree, but I thought the plan was to redshirt him because we are a deep team and play small ball. I am curious to see how many more minutes he will play behind both Simmons, Mark T,  and Arikawe. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2