MIke Leach 2.0

untjim1995

17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Our talent level RIGHT NOW is not better than La Tech or UAB or FAU. We might be getting better, but that is no different than the old Big 12 South with Tech being less talented than OU and UT back then, Hell, A&M always had better classes than Tech did, but Leach's genius always killed them. 

That's a reality.

I disagree.   Maybe OL or RB, but everywhere else, I would gladly put our TALENT up against all of those other schools.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I disagree.   Maybe OL or RB, but everywhere else, I would gladly put our TALENT up against all of those other schools.

Now, but in the previous two years, we weren't anywhere close to them (or most of CUSA) talent-wise. And as you mentioned, we are still behind at the OL and RB positions. And I still think we get pushed around in the front 4 as the second halves come along...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I agree with you. But I think our OL is bottom half of CUSA. Same with RBs since we lost Easley. And the inability to consistently get 2-4 yards when we are 3rd or 4th and short is the #1 reason we aren't undefeated IMO. With even an average OL and RB, I think we have some close calls but win all 3 of the games we lost.

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I agree with you. But I think our OL is bottom half of CUSA. Same with RBs since we lost Easley. And the inability to consistently get 2-4 yards when we are 3rd or 4th and short is the #1 reason we aren't undefeated IMO. With even an average OL and RB, I think we have some close calls but win all 3 of the games we lost.

I don't think we're struggling at RB that bad.   Torrey is racking up all kinds of stats, so he's obviously good.   I was just saying that compared to the 3 teams first mentioned, we were behind.

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Have you looked at our recruit rankings?  Tech does better in the B12 than we do in CUSA.

Landing this years class would be a huge upgrade.  

Maybe so, I just mean there's not an inherent structure/hierarchy in CUSA that creates the talent gap that exists in the B12. There's waaaaaaay more barrier to Tech recruiting with the likes of Texas and OU than there is with UNT being near the talent level of La Tech and Southern Miss. 

On 11/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, CaribbeanGreen said:

95 is right on. Tech always plays with a talent deficit in 75% of its conference games. They'll never consistently recruit with the top  teams in their conference, which isn't a barrier Littrell has here. Apples and oranges. 

And yeah, count me in the group that thinks Mike Leach is a hell of a coach. Anyone see how Wazzu is doing this year?

Overall talent level, maybe.  Hard to make the argument that they aren’t massively loaded at the most important position after trotting out Mahomes, Webb, and Mayfield the past 5+ years.  

QB covers up a lot of weakness areas.  See Mason Fine...

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Overall talent level, maybe.  Hard to make the argument that they aren’t massively loaded at the most important position after trotting out Mahomes, Webb, and Mayfield the past 5+ years.  

QB covers up a lot of weakness areas.  See Mason Fine...

Oh, they can definitely recruit to that position based on the system they play and the success they've had statistically.... that said, Pat Mahomes may win the NFL MVP this season and Tech was under .500 with him at QB, so you can't ride one horse to success, no matter how great that horse is.