Facemask on last play vs ODU

UNT 90 Grad

What's done is done, but did anyone else notice the uncalled facemask on the last play of the game?  I stood and shouted "FACEMASK!"  at Killarney's, but no one else seemed to react to it, so I thought maybe I was imagining things...until I saw Monarch fans commenting on the same thing on their board:

Totally got away with a face mask on the last play but who cares, great win!

https://csnbbs.com/thread-862716-page-4.html

I rewatched the end of the game and even the ODU homer commentators thought there was a facemask.

large.FACEMASK.jpg.5416caf3b4cbd446fc9a6large.FACEMASK2.jpg.09467ccfca2328ce0e36large.FACEMASK3.jpg.fc2f2fd99fe784c29495large.FACEMASK4.jpg.bd31739bd510fc611832

Would it have impacted the game had it been called?  Well, at the very least, we would have had an un-timed offensive play to end the game (since the game can't end on a defensive penalty).  The 15 yard penalty would have put the Mean Green at the ODU 38 yard line.  One last shot at the end zone for the win or a 55 yard field goal try to send the game into overtime.  (I believe Cole Hedlund's longest to date has been a 51 yard field goal.)

I guess we'll never know.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

My understanding is the game was barely viewable, let alone reviewable.

That was quite literally the worst camera work I've ever seen.  I've seen better camera work from high school football games.  Half the time they didn't even follow the ball in the sky.  It was horrific.  Then of course the stream shit the bed for most of the third quarter.