QB Talk: Maher/Fine

UNTexas

I took a beating bringing this up last week but I thought it is worth bringing up because the difference between the two are worth talking about considering the records being brought up and they PR about their passing of some torch. (Full disclosure, Mitch was my QB when I was a freshman player.)

Fine will hold every record. Fact. Maher was a better leader. At least as a senior. Fine could learn a lot from Maher. Everyone here has said this could be our best record yet. Ridiculous. 10 wins, awesome. That might be a bridge to far now. No chance to win conference and we are competing for nothing. 17 was better than 18. So we beat SMU & Arkansas and basically crapped the bed every chance we got after while beating down some losing teams. Maher was one hell of a leader on the field, off the field, and damn sure is now. Fine hasn't figured out how to lead this team to finish the game. Every loss we have has been blown, seriously blown opportunity. This team has no true leaders. Maher was a leader. Everyone looked up to him and most damn sure didn't want to screw up nor look at him if they did. 

The coaches are failing as well. This team jumps ahead then dies and no one steps up. Fine may not be the leader on offense. Maybe it needs to be a lineman. I don't know who it is and I don't think the team does either. It doesn't have to be the QB either, however, Fine could learn a hell of a lot from the guy who is proud to give his records too. 

Lead from the front and make those around you want to be better and fear failure. Damn, we had that on some of our worst teams but lack it now.

Side note: Discipline is pure crap on this team. The incident before the half that shifted the momentum speaks volumes. Unreal. Spitting and getting 2 personal fouls in one play is unreal. I guess those 3 points didn't matter. I hope it felt good...

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

Congratulation Mason on the record and thank you for the fun experiences so far. 

With that out of the way, this is where  mason can grow. Bounce up and exude leadership on the sideline and in the huddle.  It is critical because The team models this guy. If he looks beaten up the team plays beaten. If he crushes it (like in the first half) the team emulates that confidence.  I understood it more when he was a freshman, but our stud needs to take control. He cannot show fear, doubt, disgust. Don’t go looking for the late hit flag or PI. The team seriously goes where MF goes emotionally. 

He has a hell of a work ethic because he’s a fighter. But that BTG episode where he said locust grove lost horribly to a team they were supposed to dismantle has always stuck out to me. That feeds his fire, but the dismantling happened and is happening to a lesser degree at the next level. Our losses this year have been in critical moments - Mean joe day, la tech, uab, now Norfolk. This was a critical game in that goals were reset after losing the west. 

I want to see MF grow and push through this in these final 2 games and his senior year. The sky is the limit for this great young man in all that he does, but he can grow his take charge skills in my humble opinion. 

Thank you Mr and Mrs Fine for giving is such an amazing young man to cheer for. Still a fan and supporter. 

Go get’em Mason.  Another big game and stage looms this Thursday. 

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just wish he had more protection from the offensive line. Not sure how many times he was sacked today, but defenses know you can blitz and usually get to him. After so many hits any person will wear down and feel a sense of pressure to get rid of the ball, leading to bad throws. 

I never watched Maher play, did he have a good line in front of him? 

58 minutes ago, NM Green said:

Congratulation Mason on the record and thank you for the fun experiences so far. 

With that out of the way, this is where  mason can grow. Bounce up and exude leadership on the sideline and in the huddle.  It is critical because The team models this guy. If he looks beaten up the team plays beaten. If he crushes it (like in the first half) the team emulates that confidence.  I understood it more when he was a freshman, but our stud needs to take control. He cannot show fear, doubt, disgust. Don’t go looking for the late hit flag or PI. The team seriously goes where MF goes emotionally. 

He has a hell of a work ethic because he’s a fighter. But that BTG episode where he said locust grove lost horribly to a team they were supposed to dismantle has always stuck out to me. That feeds his fire, but the dismantling happened and is happening to a lesser degree at the next level. Our losses this year have been in critical moments - Mean joe day, la tech, uab, now Norfolk. This was a critical game in that goals were reset after losing the west. 

I want to see MF grow and push through this in these final 2 games and his senior year. The sky is the limit for this great young man in all that he does, but he can grow his take charge skills in my humble opinion. 

Thank you Mr and Mrs Fine for giving is such an amazing young man to cheer for. Still a fan and supporter. 

Go get’em Mason.  Another big game and stage looms this Thursday. 

GMG

Super positive post I guess but I don't know where you were going with it. Of course he is a worker and busting his ass for years to get where he is at. Every player on the team and those before him did the same. 

Juxtaposition of two good players. One will hold records and hopefully more & one who will lose records with a ring, trophy and lead us to D1 when you had to earn D1. That's it. No one said anyone was a bad dude. That said, you kind of freaked me out. That was a real buffalo bill lotion on the skin rant. Its just football talk.

FYI the FAU game on Thursday is not a big game at all. In fact, its totally irrelevant and will be dismissed by even big fans because of the pathetic crap product we wasted our time watching today. Serious garbage product out of UNT. (FAU is big if you want payback for them curb stomping us twice last year.) The game after that will be a half ass important game just because screw that team.

29 minutes ago, meangreen2016 said:

I just wish he had more protection from the offensive line. Not sure how many times he was sacked today, but defenses know you can blitz and usually get to him. After so many hits any person will wear down and feel a sense of pressure to get rid of the ball, leading to bad throws. 

I never watched Maher play, did he have a good line in front of him? 

Fine has a much better team and support around him and it's not even close. Different scheme as well. However, he had Troy Redwine who was amazing. Redwine was awesome with much less opportunity under schemes compared to today's team.

Although Maher did have one hell of a tight end too.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Really? So Cyril Lemon was a nobody?

Not recruiting offensive linemen well does not mean he never recruited one single good offensive linemen in 5 years. Unfortunately there are 5 offensive line spots to fill and Lemon could only fill one. Also unfortunate that Lemon did not have 8 years of eligibility and could not help Fine this season.

Mccarney’s 2014 and 2015 classes still have eligibility this year but all the help they have provided has been Jordan Murray and Elex Woodworth. That, combined with the 2016 and 2017 offensive linemen signed have not gotten the job done this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Not Mason’s fault Mccarney’s staff didn’t recruit offensive linemen well (or any offensive position group) or that Littrell’s staff hasn’t done much better in recruiting offensive linemen.

Fine has taken so many hits and popped right back up. The line needs to be better. Fine is tough.

58 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not recruiting offensive linemen well does not mean he never recruited one single good offensive linemen in 5 years. Unfortunately there are 5 offensive line spots to fill and Lemon could only fill one. Also unfortunate that Lemon did not have 8 years of eligibility and could not help Fine this season.

Mccarney’s 2014 and 2015 classes still have eligibility this year but all the help they have provided has been Jordan Murray and Elex Woodworth. That, combined with the 2016 and 2017 offensive linemen signed have not gotten the job done this year. 

Haha, good point.  You win.

• Upvote 1

Fine is a great qb and a great person.  I would not trade him for any other qb in CUSA.  If FIne was given the time to throw his numbers would be unbelivable.  We dont protect him very well.  The defense seems to get stupid penalities to many times.  I guess we need to put Bussey on the defense as well.  He is a great receiver , blocks punts on the special teams, what can he do for the defense.

• Upvote 1