Jeckyll/Hyde

MeanGreenTexan

I know we’ve dropped 3 games after having double-digit leads in each, so it’s easy to say, “Oh, we’re a ‘first-half’ team who can’t make adjustments”, or “we take our foot off the gas”, etc...

But didn’t we just wax Rice late after struggling with them for 3 quarters?  And prior to that, going from a 10-7 halftime lead to a 30-7 win VS SoMiss?

It’s not ONLY a 2nd half thing... but we definitely haven’t put 2 halves together since Liberty.

I hope this game serves as a wake-up call to the team & we finish strong heading into the bowl game.

• Upvote 2

This team seemss to bee better if something is a dogfight all the way. They did good at that last season too. Even did ok when missing the start and then having to come back. The problem seems to be specifically with the reaction to being spotted a big lead and then finding themselves in a dogfight after all.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

It is the play calling. I've said it probably 50 times and there is 51. Until that is rectified it will continue to be the play calling. It's awful. And it doesn't take being a former or current administrator/player/coach to see that. It down right blows. 

Exhibit A: Over the last 3 years how many effing times has this team ran a zone run designated for the A or B gap on 3rd or 4th and short? Almost every single time that I recall aside from one predictably batted down out route on 4th and 1 vs UAB.

And that's just for starters. We check down too much. Guyton isn't even getting near the targets he demands and I don't care about his drops. We run the ball too much. We have freak WR's, get them the ball at all cost. This staff/HC is starting to linger in the gray area of being overpaid. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

I’am not waiting till Thursday!  The offensive play calling is the issue.  Enough said!  Fix it or somebody needs to be replaced.  With the talent that is on the offensive side of the ball, what happened at ODU should not be accepted.  This has been evident for two and a half years.  Time for a change on that side of the ball.  The offensive play calling will wreck this season.  Wren Baker, if you read this board please fix this before all of the forward progress goes for nothing.  Excuse me,  I need to go vomit again.

• Downvote 1

Trust me there won’t be jumping out to any big leads against fau, not from the fau I saw last year. This will be a tug of war and I don’t like our chances in close games unlike last year. This is a bonified d with a stud ball control running back landing in Denton on Thursday. No big leads to hold onto until San Antonio. 

GMG

8 hours ago, NM Green said:

Trust me there won’t be jumping out to any big leads against fau, not from the fau I saw last year. This will be a tug of war and I don’t like our chances in close games unlike last year. This is a bonified d with a stud ball control running back landing in Denton on Thursday. No big leads to hold onto until San Antonio. 

GMG

I’m not saying we blow them out or even win, but this years FAU is nothing close to last year. 

I don’t know that it’s play calling, or the philosophy.  We take what the defense gives too often when we should be throwing it over the top.  We blew the Rice game open only after we finally threw one deep to Lawrence.  We did none of that against LaTech or in the second half yesterday (I don’t have beIN so couldn’t watch UAB).  We’re giving the opposition what they want when we don’t stretch the field.

I watched the Briles Baylor teams do the same thing.  They would also blow big leads routinely.  The difference is that they’d make a play or two down the stretch to hang on a lot of the time.  So I think this is just something we’re going to have to get used to as long as we’re running with a staff from that Leach/Mumme coaching tree.

• Upvote 1