Mason Fine speaks after ODU loss

Harry

Hard not to feel for him here. He said all the things most of us are feeling about how it went.

Still feel that they start pressing as soon as the momentum swings. Coaches need to make them settle down when that happens.I think they haven't realized what kind of team they are psychologically and they probably think they need to push team when the momentum kicks em, rather than calm em.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

That’s as honest as I think I’ve seen him be.  He always says the right things and doesn’t give the media too much to chew on.  He just keeps his nose down.  Pretty clear there though that he is being a little more open.  I couldn’t be more disgusted in this game but I also couldn’t be more grateful to have #6 at qb. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

That’s as honest as I think I’ve seen him be.  He always says the right things and doesn’t give the media too much to chew on.  He just keeps his nose down.  Pretty clear there though that he is being a little more open.  I couldn’t be more disgusted in this game but I also couldn’t be more grateful to have #6 at qb. 

10 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

You can see how pissed he is.

Fine is awesome I wish we could give him the OLine he deserves. 

I absolutely agree with both of you 100%.

6 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Mason said they played hard for 2 quarters and need to play all 4 quarters. 

North Texas looked tired on defense in the 4th. Or was it just lack of enthusiasm ?

No they need to take 5 hour energy shots before the game or get jacked up on Mountain Dew at half time.

• Haha 1

There is a problem with the attitude of this team when they get ahead. And a decision to go for it on 4th and not convert and a fake field goal call may indicate it starts with coaching. I understand wanting to dominate and having confidence in your team and players. I can't tell if it is over-confidence or desperation to swing momentum, but it looks like it has cost us 3 games.

14 hours ago, outoftown said:

Hard not to feel for him here. He said all the things most of us are feeling about how it went.

Still feel that they start pressing as soon as the momentum swings. Coaches need to make them settle down when that happens.I think they haven't realized what kind of team they are psychologically and they probably think they need to push team when the momentum kicks em, rather than calm em.

The coaches are the ones that need settling. It leads to blow out wins and blown leads to teams that have an ability to catch up.

We are not deep enough to get away with it every time.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, GreenEggs&Ham™ said:

Mason said they played hard for 2 quarters and need to play all 4 quarters. 

North Texas looked tired on defense in the 4th. Or was it just lack of enthusiasm ?

The defense can't play the whole game.  As a general rule, no matter what lead you have, if you only score 3 gd points in the second half, your likelihood of winning decreases pretty significantly.  The time of possession stat on ESPN only covers the whole game, but I bet if you broke it down into halves, we dominated TOP in the first half and they dominated it in the second half.  I don't know how we can blame the defense for this loss.

• Upvote 1

My observations:

1.  I am a huge fan of RB Jr. but there seems to be an overreliance on him this year. We seemed to spread the ball around more last year. Lawrence has produced in spurts, same with the TE's and Darden.  Not sure if that is by design, Fine taking what is given, etc...

2.  Guyton, with all that talent, either drops balls that hit him in the hands or just flat out disappears during games. Not sure what the problem is but it has to get fixed. 

3.  Our play calling is predictable. I am not asking for trick plays but we seem to rely on a few successful plays. Then again, this may be a product of the system that is based on reads and not necessarily set plays in the passing game. 

4.  Our defense keeps extending drives with penalties at the wrong time. Many are just plain stupid. 

5. I think SL walks a fine line between being a player's coach and letting the players have some fun and holding them accountable. I am a big SL fan but I would like to see him chew somebody out every now and then. 

Just my observations from a distance. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1