Littrell post ODU Interview “a Total Team Loss”

Harry

Littrell has done wonders in turning around our program since Mac ran us into the largest ditch in the history of college football, but....

Has he reached his peak at North Texas?

Yes, we are 7-3, but we have yet to beat a winning FBS program this season. All 3 of our loses were blown double digit leads. After the UAB loss, Littrell stated he didn't believe there were any adjustment to make. Now we blow a 28 point lead to a terrible ODU team, after our coaches couldn't figure out what "in game" adjustments needed to be made against the worst defense in C-USA.

Remember, Littrell makes around $1.4 million a season.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

SL is awesome at evaluating and coaching from Sunday to Friday. But this loss was on him, as it is HIS job to settle the team down when they are pressing in the face of adversity. He didn't, instead he called a ballsy play that backfired. Given when and where he called that, move, this was always a less than 50% percentage move more likely to kill the small momentum from a point getting drive than it was to create a jolt.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan of Seth Littrell, but this was a monumental failure of coaching and team execution.  Most of us will never know what it’s like to make $1.4 million a year, but he should donate back this week’s pay to the general scholarship fund as this was an unacceptable failure of doing his job.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Definitely was "a Total Team Loss" - everything failed from the end of the 2nd Qtr forward.

I hope SL doesn't start to lose any part of the team... this is where he earns his $1.4M... they need to come back and beat FAU at home and then UTSA - and then win their bowl.

No excuses - go do your job and get the rest of the team doing theirs.

• Upvote 1

What i have noticed from the 2018 team vs 2017 team is in 2017 the sideline was always relaxed and they knew they could win and come back on any team.  This year the teams doesnt seem to have that.  They always look so serious  and when they get down they dont seem to have the same attitude about winning or coming back.  This year everyone else is coming back on us.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

What i have noticed from the 2018 team vs 2017 team is in 2017 the sideline was always relaxed and they knew they could win and come back on any team.  This year the teams doesnt seem to have that.  They always look so serious  and when they get down they dont seem to have the same attitude about winning or coming back.  This year everyone else is coming back on us.  

They need a team psychologist*.  Coaches don’t appear to be successful at filling that role.  Last year the team fed off of exceeding expectations.   This year once they start falling beneath the higher expectations of this year, they can’t break out of the downward spiral.  Speaks generally to the season and to individual games.  

* Halfway joking?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Could this team already peaked? Apparently everyone has figured out how to beat us and the coaching staff can't make adjustments. So.....if FAU comes in here and beats us then the gig is up and UTSA will do the same. But I'll be there Thursday to see if SL and GH are able to figure out a NEW strategy cause the one they have now sucks.

• Lovely Take 2

12 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

OK...what's he going to do about it? Step 1: Call your own plays for the last 3. Step 2: Might consider looking for a new OC. Otherwise, I don't give a flip about his disappointment. 

I’m out of upvotes but I totally agree. We don’t really have a personnel issue. We have a coaching problem.  I know GH has his fans, but he’s not cutting it. Seth needs to start calling the plays. The GH magic (if it ever existed) is totally gone. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Has anyone seen if this is our worst blown lead in program history? I can’t think of one. I checked the media guide but that stat doesn’t appear to be in there (I wasn’t viewing it in a “searchable” format so I may have missed it). 

I found this by Zach Babb:

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I have always thought that GH would be better served as our QB Coach but that we had to offer the OC position and overpay to lure him away from Leach at WSU. I would prefer to see SL take over the play calling and let Harrell focus on helping the QB's.