Where the Blame Actually Lies

its with all of you. 

you. and you. and your mom. and with me. and definitely with you. so many of you asshats yell about personal responsibility and then never take an ounce of it in your own lives. 

you built the expectations. this team goes 4-0 and everyone starts dreaming  of going undefeated and top 25s and national publicity...because the only reason any of you care about the results are so you can go into our shitty jobs and have a moment of win at the water cooler and respite from your otherwise mundane lives. 

this team was never great. it was and is a good football team with flaws. and good teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they should not have. it's seriously as if none of you have ever watched sports. 

this program has been horrible for a decade. we start to get even a modicum of respectability and competitive football and the lot of you fall over yourselves to by the #1 worst fan...claim you're done with the program...complain publicly about how much you spent (more self-importance)...

success and improvement are not linear. everyone should be disappointed, but try and have some semblance of perspective. 

• Upvote 13
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 30

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

Oh ffs, quit the sanctimonious bullshit. 7-2 teams should not lose to 2-7 teams. 

and yet it happens...to every team in every sport at some point. 

I promise you UNT Lax Bros lost to some other lesser group of all white Lax Bros. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 10

-1 not from me.

I felt like we were the superior team VS LATech, we just shot ourselves in the foot & lost.   No big deal, keep moving.

UAB proved we were not the best team in the West.  THEY shot us in the foot.  No problem, finish strong & win our bowl.

Today, against a 2-win team with nothing to play for... to jump out to a 28pt lead, & then hand the game over (you’re correct, it was a collective effort by team & coaches (except Bussey, what more can he give?)), we swallowed a grenade.

We’re going bowling, and that’s great, but as of now, I really am concerned we’re not going to even compete in a bowl game.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

its with all of you. 

you. and you. and your mom. and with me. and definitely with you. so many of you asshats yell about personal responsibility and then never take an ounce of it in your own lives. 

you built the expectations. this team goes 4-0 and everyone starts dreaming  of going undefeated and top 25s and national publicity...because the only reason any of you care about the results are so you can go into our shitty jobs and have a moment of win at the water cooler and respite from your otherwise mundane lives. 

this team was never great. it was and is a good football team with flaws. and good teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they should not have. it's seriously as if none of you have ever watched sports. 

this program has been horrible for a decade. we start to get even a modicum of respectability and competitive football and the lot of you fall over yourselves to by the #1 worst fan...claim you're done with the program...complain publicly about how much you spent (more self-importance)...

success and improvement are not linear. everyone should be disappointed, but try and have some semblance of perspective. 

I wish there were a way to give you a minus 34 points (one for every point ODU scored after we had a 28 point lead).

• Upvote 9
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

-1 not from me.

I felt like we were the superior team VS LATech, we just shot ourselves in the foot & lost.   No big deal, keep moving.

UAB proved we were not the best team in the West.  THEY shot us in the foot.  No problem, finish strong & win our bowl.

Today, against a 2-win team with nothing to play for... to jump out to a 28pt lead, & then hand the game over (you’re correct, it was a collective effort by team & coaches (except Bussey, what more can he give?)), we swallowed a grenade.

We’re going bowling, and that’s great, but as of now, I really am concerned we’re not going to even compete in a bowl game.

Bingo!

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

-1 not from me.

sure. and like I said, we should be disappointed. 

but to say you're purposely changing plans to support your alma mater and this team...this team that has already won more in 2.5 years than in nearly the entire decade prior...is just stupid. 

and I've been reading a whole lot of stupid. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I wish there were a way to give you a minus 34 points (one for every point ODU scored after we had a 28 point lead).

wait...so a team can score points after we score? 

it's like a sports miracle happened right in front of you. I've never heard of that happening. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

its with all of you. 

Suggesting that the fans are at fault for the failures of this team is ridiculous.  Why are you getting upset that our fans are reacting negatively to today's failure?  Would you prefer apathy?  Because that's what most of us have experienced that have been around North Texas football during the last 3-4 decades.  I, for one, welcome a display of passion from our fans!   They have a right to be upset.  That's what is expected when your team has winning expectations.  As someone that has followed since the early 80's, I can remember many years when expectations were to win a game. 

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

-1 not from me.

Well said.  I completely agree. 

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

-10 on the original post and only (potentially) 3 of you have bothered to make a post. 

and I've had people try to fight me and tell me to drown. new denton is soft. 

I would gladly love to punch you in the mouth but you are still one of our own, gotta save my anger for UTSA fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Censored by Laurie said:

wait...so a team can score points after we score? 

it's like a sports miracle happened right in front of you. I've never heard of that happening. 

A 2-7 team shut us down after we posted 28 straight points. That is completely unacceptable and why fans, even many long time fans, are hopping mad. Just so you know, I've been a regular at home games for around 20 years. I was there for the lean years. Even as bad as we were, I never recall the Mean Green surrendering a 28 point lead to a team that was worse then us. If you can, please post it.

What makes the problem even worse is that our coach makes comments like "there were no adjustments to make" and "For what ever reason, we've just got to be better."

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and yet it happens...to every team in every sport at some point. 

I promise you UNT Lax Bros lost to some other lesser group of all white Lax Bros. 

You don't know anything about my ethnicity or class so how about you keep this focused on the issue at hand.

22 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Going back to your original set of points, you're correct. Success and improvement are not linear. In order to have success and improve you need to learn from your mistakes and grow from them. This team and coaching staff has shown no ability to do so over the past few seasons. They win when its easy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Mean Green Fan4Life said:

Suggesting that the fans are at fault for the failures of this team is ridiculous.  Why are you getting upset that our fans are reacting negatively to today's failure?  Would you prefer apathy?  Because that's what most of us have experienced that have been around North Texas football during the last 4-5 decades.  I, for one, welcome a display of passion from our fans!   They have a right to be upset.  That's what is expected when your team has winning expectations.  As someone that has followed since the early 80's, I can remember many years when expectations were to win a game. 

not suggesting the fans are at fault for anything but building the team up for more than it ever was and then threatening (almost certainly an empty threat) to stop supporting the team because they fell short of the expectations they themselves built. 

and "passion" is what leads half these people to their first domestic assault charge. I'd rather have "reason"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and "passion" is what leads half these people to their first domestic assault charge.

3 minutes ago, TheNewEra said:

I would gladly love to punch you in the mouth but you are still one of our own, gotta save my anger for UTSA fans.

see. 

at least Dodge made good husbands and fathers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

-10 on the original post and only (potentially) 3 of you have bothered to make a post. 

and I've had people try to fight me and tell me to drown. new denton is soft. 

To be fair... your SMUG ass shoulda just drowned. 

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

and "passion" is what leads half these people to their first domestic assault charge. I'd rather have "reason"

Many folks understand that passion without reason is a serious problem. Fewer folks seem to grasp the reason without passion is often just as bad.

Hope is a dangerous thing. This could have been a special season. It turns out that the team was actually better last season in some ways than it is this season, and that is actually mostly on in-game coaching.. NT pays its head coach 1.4 million to do this. You cannot have people have genuine hope without then also have negative feelings between dissapointment and anger when the hope does not get fullfilled. The bigger the hope is, the worse that reaction has to be, otherwise the hope was never real. In a relationship with a partner disappointment may be better than anger. Here anger is better, as disappointement is likely to have people actually not come back.

The way you write you never had hope it could be a special season instead of this offensive regression, as you always expected NT would just get kicked in the guts somewhere. If that is the case, then I feel a good piece of pity for you for not experiencing that emotional richness that comes with it.

If on the other hand you don't think there is some regression going on that is a sign of larger problems or if you can't see that said regression isn't transitory, then we have simply not been watching the same games the last 5 weeks. The problem is real and recurring, and there are no signs of it getting better, all 3 losses have some very obvious similarities in the way they came about.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2