Portland (11/10/18)

BillySee58

https://portlandpilots.com/news/2018/11/8/mens-basketball-pilots-face-hawai-i-north-texas-at-rainbow-classic.aspx

Portland (1-0) vs. North Texas (1-0)
Date: Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018
Time: 6:30 p.m. (PT)
City: Hololulu, Hawai'i
Arena: Stan Sheriff Center (10,300)
Radio: 910 ESPN-Portland
Live Links: Audio I Stats
Series: UNT leads 1-0 (Last meeting: UNT 77, @POR 72 – 2ot, 11/23/13)

GAME INFORMATION 
Portland travels to Hawai'i this weekend to compete at the 54th Annual Outrigger Resorts Rainbow Classic. The Pilots (1-0) will face host Hawai'i on Friday at 9 p.m. (PT) and then take on North Texas on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. (PT). This is Portland's third appearance at the Rainbow Classic (1966, 2001).
Pilots at the Rainbow Classic (2-4)...
1966: Lost to Pacific (82-72), defeated Harvard (67-64) and Hawai'i (68-64)
2001: Lost to Hawai'i (75-68), Holy Cross (60-43) and Arkansas State (77-74)

GAME COVERAGE
Friday's game will be televised live on Spectrum SportsNet in Hawai'i and available via video stream at HawaiiAthletics.com. Saturday's game will not have television or video coverage. Radio coverage of all Pilot games is on 910 ESPN-Portland (KMTT) with Jason Swygard calling the play-by-play. Live stats and online audio links are available for all games at PortlandPilots.com.

PORTLAND NOTES
• The Pilots cruised to a pair of exhibition wins against Antelope Valley (94-64) and Westmont (94-80) in the preseason. Portland opened the regular season with a 111-103 shootout win against Multnomah on Tuesday.
• Junior G/F Josh McSwiggan recorded career highs of 37 points and 11 rebounds, while sophomore PG Marcus Shaver Jr. also had career bests of 23 points and nine assists.
• The Pilots return four starters and six of the team's seven leading scorers, including Shaver Jr. who earned WCC All-Freshman Team and league honorable mention honors.
• Shaver Jr. became the first Pilot to earn All-WCC Freshman Team honors since Taishi Ito in 2007 and first UP freshman to garner honorable mention status since Donald Wilson in 2003. He averaged a team-best 12.3 points per game overall and raised that to 12.6 points in league games.
• McSwiggan also averaged double figures (10.9), led the team in three-pointers made (70) and shot 43.5 percent from beyond the arc.
• Portland returns four redshirts to the lineup this season in Pittsburgh transfer G Crisshawn Clark, freshmen Hugh Hogland and Takiula Fahrensohn, and junior Xavier Hallinan.
• Five other newcomers join the roster highlighted by 7-foot sophomore Jacob Tryon (East Los Angeles College). The freshmen newcomers include C Theo Akwuba who averaged a triple double with blocked shots in Montgomery, Ala., athletic F Josh Phillips, G Miles Turner, and F Wyatt Watson.
• 2018 graduates Philipp Hartwich (Spain) and D'Marques Tyson (Portugal) signed professional contracts and join 10 other former Pilots playing professionally overseas this year.
• Portland is scheduled to go to Hawai'i for the Rainbow Classic (Nov. 9-10), will host the Portland Classic over Thanksgiving weekend, and visits Colorado to highlight its non-league schedule.
• Former Portland State head coach Tyler Geving has joined the Pilots as an interim assistant coach. Geving, who brings 20-plus years of coaching experience including eight at the helm of the Vikings, will fill in for Kramer Knutson who is on family leave.

ABOUT HAWAI'I
• The Rainbow Warriors will open the regular season on Friday. UH defeated Hawai'i Pacific 81-45 in the team's lone exhibition. The team is picked to finish sixth in the Big West Preseason Poll.
• UH returns eight lettermen, but lost two of its top three scorers from last year's team that finished 17-13 overall. Senior G Sheriff Drammeh is the team's leading returning scorer (10.7).
• Former Saint Mary's assistant Eran Ganot is in his fourth year as head coach at UH.
• The Rainbow Warriors lead the all-time series with Portland by a 12-8 margin, including a 10-5 mark at home. The team's last met in the 2011 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament with Hawai'i winning 76-64 at the Stan Sheriff Center.

ABOUT NORTH TEXAS
• The Mean Green (1-0) opened the regular season with an 89-55 win against Angelo State on Tuesday. Umoja Gibson, who missed all but two games last year due to injury, returned to score a game-high 32 points.
• UNT returns a strong backcourt in Roosevelt Smart (19.5) and Ryan Woolridge (12.7) from a 20-win team that claimed the CBI Championship by defeating San Francisco in the finals.
• UNT was picked fourth in the preseason Conference USA Poll.
• Head Coach Grant McCasland is beginning his second year with the Mean Green.
• UNT won the only meeting against Portland, a 77-72 double overtime thriller at the Chiles Center on Nov. 23, 2013.

PORTLAND'S HAWAIIAN TIES
Portland has two players on the roster with strong ties to Hawai'i. Redshirt freshman C Hugh Hogland was born and raised in Oah'u and a two-sport standout in volleyball and basketball at Iolani School. Sophomore PG Marcus Shaver Jr. lived in Oah'u for a majority of his childhood and still has many family members and friends living in Hawai'i.

37 minutes ago, CMJ said:

This should be the first time we have an opponent who can give us an inkling of what we really have.  I don't expect another 40 point type of win.

I don't think we'll get a decent challenge until we play Hawaii tomorrow.