DRC: Brammer on fast track to becoming star on UNT's offensive line

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Fine would be much more thankful to have protection from his left side rather than "potential protection".  

Brammer is big, athletic, and has a great deal of 'try'.  I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt before we dump on him.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Brammer is big, athletic, and has a great deal of 'try'.  I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt before we dump on him.

I'm not dumping on him.  I'm just stating that he's really struggled at LT and he has a ways to go.  If he's on the "fast track" then that seems to say more about the lack of depth at the position. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 3

Finding and developing college-level tackles isn’t the easiest of tasks for schools that complete outside of the major conferences. There just aren’t that many 6-4, 300-pound linemen out there who are nimble enough to mirror top-end pass rushers

Strangely everyone else seems to find them?

Hopefully unlike McCarney we’re no longer narrowing the field even more by staying within a 6’4” 300 lb mandate.

McCarney had a HS senior-to-be in summer camp in 2015.  He had a nasty disposition for O line play and loved, loved, loved the physicalities of the run game.  He had an excellent day, did everything the coaches asked, won nearly every battle they matched him up against....but was told that (at 6’  2 3/4” 315lbs).....“honestly, if you were  6’3” or taller you would have countless offers, but unfortunately that’s the parameters we have to begin with, I’m sorry”.

The kid eventually received other opportunities to walk on elsewhere, received two full rides to DII schools and turned them down to play for UMHB and won a NC there.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Sad 1

I doubt I'm the only poster on GMG who feels it's inappropriate to be negative towards individual players.  As far as I can tell this kid is trying his very best.  That's really all you can expect of an amateur athlete.  Don't like the coaches or administrators?  Fine, tear them new posterior portals, they get paid to take the heat.  Leave the 19 year-old kids alone. 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

My attitude has always been that if a player is doing everything he can on the field, in the weight room, and in the film  room, there is no need to call him out.   Even in cases were it's obvious a kid isn't talented enough, recruiting is not his job.  If the coach can't recruit the right athletes, that is on them, not the poor over matched student.  

Taking dumb penalties, obvious lack of effort, etc... feel free to be negative.  

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

I doubt I'm the only poster on GMG who feels it's inappropriate to be negative towards individual players.  As far as I can tell this kid is trying his very best.  That's really all you can expect of an amateur athlete.  Don't like the coaches or administrators?  Fine, tear them new posterior portals, they get paid to take the heat.  Leave the 19 year-old kids alone. 

I agree.

19 hours ago, GTWT said:

McNulty ... pot ... black ... something something ... 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

McNulty ... pot ... black ... something something ... 

Saying that" McNulty wouldn't be the starter in 4 (or 5 years)" was ' critical' of the player?  Jesus.  If that's the worst thing you've found looking back through 9 years of my posting I must be a saint. You have way too much time to waste on the web.

3 hours ago, GTWT said:

Saying that" McNulty wouldn't be the starter in 4 (or 5 years)" was ' critical' of the player?  Jesus.  If that's the worst thing you've found looking back through 9 years of my posting I must be a saint. You have way too much time to waste on the web.

I agree.  Just like my original comment stating that Brammer had much to improve wasn't calling him out.  

Gee, let me think where I have heard these comments before.   Three years ago when Mason Fine took the field. Remember this kid is freshman.  He will get stronger and hopefully become a star for us.  The LA TECH  DE guy is going to be playing on Sundays. Our guy was a sheep given to the wolf.  He has a big gap to close and needs to protect Fine.  Give him time. The big great guys are going to the P-5 schools and we have to develop ours.

• Upvote 1