UTSA Loses to DII St. Edward’s

BillySee58

10 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Reminder that UTSA finished 5th in conference last year and was predicted to finish 5th this year by the coaches.

Why wasn't Jackson playing?
And without him, they should still be able to beat a DII...  Did the loss of Lyle hurt that bad?   

Serious issues in San Antonio.  It's not like they just coasted at the end & blew a late lead.  They were losing pretty much for the entirety of the game.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do you think we would lose to a DII school (as long as Benford isn't coaching) if our All-Conference guy, Smart, is out?

If I were UTSA, I'd put a LOT of stock in the loss.

We beat Angelo State 89-55 and I expect us to easily defeat Humboldt State Friday night -- all without Smart.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do you think we would lose to a DII school (as long as Benford isn't coaching) if our All-Conference guy, Smart, is out?

Pretty sure we just beat a DII without smart by 40 or so.....

UTSA making excuses sounds a lot like us 6 years ago when we got be by Bama st. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Exactly. It is obviously too early to say they are for sure not going to be a contender in CUSA, but this is a big red flag. Definite red flag on their depth.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

We beat Angelo State 89-55 and I expect us to easily defeat Humboldt State Friday night -- all without Smart.

Precisely.

They should definitely be worried, as a team with preseason aspirations of the NCAA tourney.  

Maybe I’m jaded because I’ve seen it before when our same type of team (with a NBA draft pick) dropped the game to Alabama Huntsville early in 2012... Panic button was firmly pressed & we finished the season with 20 losses.

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Precisely.

They should definitely be worried, as a team with preseason aspirations of the NCAA tourney.  

Maybe I’m jaded because I’ve seen it before when our same type of team (with a NBA draft pick) dropped the game to Alabama Huntsville early in 2012... Panic button was firmly pressed & we finished the season with 20 losses.

I think it shows what kind of team they have without their star player.

In our case, I think it showed our depth if Gibson was starting in the place of Smart.

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I think it shows what kind of team they have without their star player.

In our case, I think it showed our depth if Gibson was starting in the place of Smart.

Would we have lost to Angelo if Gibson or Woolridge were also out in addition to Smart?  I don't think we would.

If losing just 1 guy forces you to drop a game at home to St. Edwards, depth is an issue, but not the issue. 
The depth (all the way down to the end of the bench) of a "contending" team should have no issues beating a DII squad.

• Downvote 1