11/6/2019 Angelo State 7pm

greenminer

Wha-who! Go UNT!  I'm predicting Top 25 ranking by mid-season for a variety of reasons...some green kool-aide based, but I really believe that we have the coach and group of players this season to get us to Top 25 and NCAA tourney. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Watched it.  We played smaller and faster. Lots of solid ball movement and perimeter play.  Looked sloppy with passing early at times but that really crisped up.  Gibson was off the chain.  30 pts, 7 3s I believe.  Will be interesting to see what we are like when Smart is back.  

Gibson is a little bigger and stronger than last year. Aside from scoring 32 pts I thought he played a fairly smart game for a guy with not much experience in college games. Jahmiah Simmons will be a very useful player around the rim. He's physically strong and looks like he will be a good rebounder. Tikhonenko is a wide body and appears willing to fight for loose balls and rebounds but needs to work on his shooting.

If anyone is interested in the ladies, it looks like we finally have some size to match up with our guard play. I'm interested to see how the season pans out for the ladies.

• Upvote 3

My mostly meaningless observations based on one game against a much less than stellar opponent:

Game went as should be expected.  I do wonder why NT almost went into a stall late in the game, I guess to keep the score now. 

For a team down 4 players, NT displayed a lot of depth. 

Unlike some who are thinking Gibson is going to play the sixth man role, I don't see how you keep him out of the starting lineup.    Duffy had an off game compared to his late tournament play.  

Than you have Draper who also should be on the court more. Woolridge played about half the minutes he averaged last year and still got 10 assists.  

Despite what Marshall returns, NT may have the best guards in CUSA.

The front court was a lot more concerning.  Z. Simmons looked good, but didn't play big minutes. 

Undersized Miller and J. Simmons played inside, but looked like defensive liabilities to me.  Something I guess McCasland is willing to do to get more speed and offense into the game. 

Arikawe also played limited minutes, looked like a slightly better version of last year.    I didn't expect much from Tikhonenko, and even though that is basically what he produced; I came away optimistic.  Although he missed all his shots, and got pushed around under the basket, he showed the desire that is needed.   He may be a bigger contributor this year, than most have projected. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2