CUSA Attendence (Off Week Edition)

Cerebus

As we have discussed before, people are less and less interested in college football. While we wish it could be better, I think an attendance of 25,000 is pretty respectable. 

On Friday, I was in a hotel in NYC getting ready to leave for the evening while watching the Penn-Cornell game on ESPNU. This was billed as a rivalry game and the announced attendance was 3800.  To me, it looked like there were 380 in the stands. Throckmorton vs Harrold would have had a bigger crowd.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

16 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I don't get why UAB has such a low attendance. When they dropped football, people were coming out of the woodwork to protest this decision. They have it back and are 1st in CUSA West.. Scarce crowd. 

Weather related ?    Look at what weather (or threat of weather) has done to 2 of our home games.     

I am convinced that the only reason UTSA attendance stays at the top is because of the indoor stadium.   I personally don't like indoor stadiums.  But, weather is an issue they never have to deal with.

Edited by akriesman

2 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Weather related ?    Look at what weather (or threat of weather) has done to 2 of our home games.     

I am convinced that the only reason UTSA attendance stays at the top is because of the indoor stadium.   I personally don't like indoor stadiums.  But, weather is an issue they never have to deal with.

Yet look at how high our attendance still is!     
The attendance was quite obviously inflated for the So Miss game, but other than that one, it appears to be legit.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Maybe they aren't lying about their butts in seats?

28 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

I am not sure why we even compare these numbers unless of course the programs got together ahead of time and discuss what multiplier they are going to use to fudge them.  

These are all tickets sold.  Not scanned, not butts in seats, tickets sold.  So yes it could include people that buy a ticket, but do not go to the game. 

Tickets sold does not include give aways, it the number of tickets someone was willing to pay money for.  That number has to be reported to the conference, and has have financial transaction data to back it.  

That is the way CUSA has decided to standardize it.  

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

These are all tickets sold.  Not scanned, not butts in seats, tickets sold.  So yes it could include people that buy a ticket, but do not go to the game. 

Tickets sold does not include give aways, it the number of tickets someone was willing to pay money for.  That number has to be reported to the conference, and has have financial transaction data to back it.  

These attendance numbers are generally so far from the actual, that it is more a discussion of who wants to put out the most fictitious numbers.   Per my tv view, UAB didn't look to have half of what they reported.  Rice's number is hilarious.

I don't believe at all that the difference in the actual attendance and reported attendance is ticket sold and not used. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I don't get why UAB has such a low attendance. When they dropped football, people were coming out of the woodwork to protest this decision. They have it back and are 1st in CUSA West.. Scarce crowd. 

I’m sure there were fewer than 17,605 protesters. This is a big problem in our media driven world today. You have a hundred or thousand folks run around with signs and bullhorns and it is purported to represent the feelings of tens of thousands or even millions and that just isn’t always the case.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Tuscaloosa is a stones throw away from Birmingham. They’ll never capture a bigger market share with Alabama right next store. 

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I guess game 'attendance' isn't the right phrase.

5 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

And they have a great team this year.  They were kicking us around on Saturday in front of an empty stadium.  I dont get it.  Didnt they have good attendance last year? 

2 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

And they have a great team this year.  They were kicking us around on Saturday in front of an empty stadium.  I dont get it.  Didnt they have good attendance last year? 

Alabama/LSU kicked off at the same time.  UAB and Bama are an hour away from each other.  Unless you are a UAB grad, you watching the Bama game, heck I bet a lot of UAB graduates stayed away to watch that game.  

42 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Alabama/LSU kicked off at the same time.  UAB and Bama are an hour away from each other.  Unless you are a UAB grad, you watching the Bama game, heck I bet a lot of UAB graduates stayed away to watch that game.  

Yes...and the SEC headquarters are in Birmingham

If you think UNT struggles with competing against UT and A&M....that's nothing

On top of that, even though there is nothing but Bama and Auburn to compete with UAB in that area, those 2 alone are worse than all of the competition in the DFW market combined for UNT....

What UAB is doing is admirable....and the city of Birmingham and local media have been supportive but they will never be able to come close to competing with Bama, Auburn and the SEC in that area.

One can get a lot of easy grocery shopping done in the Birmingham area during a Bama game.

• Upvote 2

Actual attendance was somewhere in the teens. Definitely lowest of the season. The Bama - LSU game got a 70 SHARE in the Birmingham market. That is just insane in modern tv ratings. We've moved our game times around all season to avoid them, with good success, but beIN set the start time this week. There was a time when a game in a similar situation would have drawn 7500. Progress?

If we don't have 25,000+ on Senior Day, against Southern Miss, with the ability to wrap up the West it'll be an enormous disappointment.

• Upvote 1