Say goodbye to Fouts

Harry

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

More of an "Opera Cabin"

or an "Opera Shed"?

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When my oldest enrolls in 2029, I fully expect Clark Hall to look exactly the same as when I was there in 2000!

I'm still amazed that they installed air conditioning in Bruce Hall!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

My understanding is that the parking garage is just being moved off the short/mid term goals.  They still will keep it on the master plan. 

They just need spaces NOW, because they are hoping to get funding for two new science classroom/lab buildings (where the giant Eagle parking lot in front of EESAT now sits) in this next session.  

Yep and yep.

But the general mood on CPC’s end is a weariness of the massive debt service on parking structures.

They need to do a "texas wrap" where the dorms wrap around a central parking garage.  The dorm revenue off-sets some of the cost of the parking structure.  It blocks the view of the parking and provides much needed dorm space.  Pretty common in apartments these days.

Image result for texas wrap construction

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, ipd054 said:

They need to do a "texas wrap" where the dorms wrap around a central parking garage.  The dorm revenue off-sets some of the cost of the parking structure.  It blocks the view of the parking and provides much needed dorm space.  Pretty common in apartments these days.

This is a solid idea.

Rick

i like the idea!  Back in the late 70's when the dorms had parking lots it was still hard to find a parking space.  I lived to far from my home to go home the weekends but on Fridays the parking lot would clear as most of the DFW kids headed home (never understood why they did) .  I would find my spot and not drive until the following weekend.  I liked the car close so i could keep an eye on it but not sure anyone would have wanted to steal my 1973 Camero (4 speed manual transmission) , 6 cyl with NO AIR CONDITION.  . Funny I could fit all my possessions into the car and that included my rather large home speakers, and my recods.  I guess I didnt  have a whole lot then but life was good.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, ipd054 said:

This is an okay idea until you consider that rent per square foot goes way up because the majority of your site is unproductive parking. College apartments are already in the top 75 percent of the rental market, so maybe it doesn't matter.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:22 PM, southsideguy said:

i lived in the slums of denton when i moved off campus.  Cement City was always such a nice area but there was plenty of parking there.

It kind of looks like Cement City is slowly disappearing or is time just playing tricks on me? It looks smaller now.

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

It kind of looks like Cement City is slowly disappearing or is time just playing tricks on me? It looks smaller now.

It no longer really is Cement City.  It is being gentrified, but before that happened rents rose so high that most of the lower class workers had to move out long ago.  It is mostly students now, rents are no longer cheap. 

I’m on a city steering committee involved in long-term strategic planning for the neighborhoods surrounding UNT - the Oak Gateway Plan (though I refer to it collectively as The Greens).

Among our primary recommendations for Cement City is to put special development incentives up as a revitalization district for the area. The aim will be to update, add community services and retail (grocer), and allow for an appropriate density while not making it priced out for the current population that lives there.

46 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

The aim will be to update, add community services and retail (grocer), and allow for an appropriate density while not making it priced out for the current population that lives there.

From what I have seen most of the non student people have already left.  When I got here in the 90s it was a lower class minority population, with quite a few students looking for cheap rent.  Now it looks like that ratio has flipped.  

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

From what I have seen most of the non student people have already left.  When I got here in the 90s it was a lower class minority population, with quite a few students looking for cheap rent.  Now it looks like that ratio has flipped.  

There’s actually a good contingent of families still there. Nearly a fifth of the students at Newton Razor come from Cement City. We did some other demographic surveys of the area, and while that ratio has indeed been shifting, it’s more like 45/55 students to non-students.

• Thanks 1